PDA

View Full Version : Saratoga Saturday Card.....three 2yo maiden races

Vinman
08-11-2010, 05:26 PM
And FOUR maiden races in all.....races 2, 6, 7 & 8.

When was the last time there were 3 maiden races starting in race 6 on a Saturday card at the SPA.....not including the finale.

Is putting up with 4 maiden races on a SATURDAY card the price we pay for an extra four days of racing at the SPA?

I'll be at the SPA this weekend....looking closely at the pair of 50 cent Pick 4's at Finger Lakes, which I'll play down the street at the Racino if I have to.

Anyone know for sure if the FL P4's can be played on the SPA self service terminals at 50 cents?

Vinman

MickJ26
08-11-2010, 07:28 PM
I know you can't play $.50 pick four's on track at Belmont.
I'd assume you can't play them at Saratoga either.
I didn't know Finger Lakes offered fifty centers.
Guarantee NYRA will be the last ones to offer it, if ever.

point given
08-11-2010, 07:32 PM

When was the last time there were 3 maiden races starting in race 6 on a Saturday card at the SPA.....not including the finale.

Is putting up with 4 maiden races on a SATURDAY card the price we pay for an extra four days of racing at the SPA?

I'll be at the SPA this weekend....looking closely at the pair of 50 cent Pick 4's at Finger Lakes, which I'll play down the street at the Racino if I have to.

Anyone know for sure if the FL P4's can be played on the SPA self service terminals at 50 cents?

Vinman

At least its an 11 race card and the late p4 starts with a MSW so you can see the betting instead of putting one as the last race where it would be blind. I sure looks like alot of downtime though to walk downstairs for a Hatties sandwich. the outlook is for fine weather though and the Sworddancer stakes has a full field too, so not too bad there. I'm personally looking forward to seeing Kantherous run on monday though.

1GCFAN
08-11-2010, 10:25 PM
The SAR betting terminals display the lowest wager offered when you select the track and bet type. I would assume they would allow FL .50 pick 4's if allowed on track.

Edward DeVere
08-11-2010, 11:39 PM

The way I look at it is - You're getting an extra TEN days of racing. Who else races SIX days-a-week?

In addition, Saratoga patrons are privileged to see some GREAT horses at the start of their careers.

JMHO.

Lasix67
08-11-2010, 11:45 PM
That's Saratoga, where future champions begin....

Robert Goren
08-11-2010, 11:50 PM
I like 2yo md race. Year after years my record show they are the profitable my wagers.

eastie
08-12-2010, 01:55 AM

Vinman

4 maiden races = good value. I'd take 5 a day if I could get 'em

RunForTheRoses
08-12-2010, 10:03 PM
I was there last week and they wouldn't let me play 50 cent Pick 4s at Del Mar.

ohbaby
08-12-2010, 10:23 PM
Saratoga is always known for it's baby races.

Speaking of which, Valiant Passion a 2yo filly lit up the tote board winning by 8 today.

Vinman
08-12-2010, 10:27 PM
I was there last week and they wouldn't let me play 50 cent Pick 4s at Del Mar.

I expect that this totally unexplainable "no 50 cent Pick 4's" environment, on NYRA races or anyone else's, will continue at NYRA for the forseeable future.

There IS a way around it if you are in Saratoga.....go down the street to the Racino and they will be happy to take your 50 cent Pick 4 wagers on Del Mar or any other track that offers a 50 cent Pick 4, like Penn National or Evangeline. I'll be there tomorrow night for Del Mar's 7pm card with what looks like a very playable Pick 4 that gets underway at about 9pm. Penn offers two 50 cent Pick 4's.....on races 3-4-5-6 and 6-7-8-9, which makes race 6 a "double jeopardy race" if you play both Pick 4's. Evangeline's is on races 8-11.

I was down at Harrah's racebook in Atlantic City last weekend. No 50 cent Pick 4's offered on ANY track....only dime supers.....Dumb and dumber.

Vinman

Fingal
08-12-2010, 10:28 PM
If you're going to bet the horizontal exotics at either Del Mar or Saratoga, one should learn about breeding & win early sires. And not just the sires, but the broodmares too. BRIS Ultimates are good for this, for maiden & turf they'll not only list the average winning distance for the sire & dam's sire & their producer indexes, but what the dam herself has done in number of starters, how many winners, & how many 2 year old winners. These are the races that usually knock out many P3, P4 or P6 tickets.

I would say get used to it. With the lower horse populations, you need more maiden races to provide the entrants for the other types of races for winners.

kenwoodall2
08-13-2010, 01:17 AM
"Run Baby Run!"

TheFlagIsUp
08-14-2010, 11:49 AM

Vinman

Owners wait to debut their babies here. There's only one maiden race that isn't a babie race, so Im not sure what you are upset about. two year olds debut at the Spa is a big deal for owners, breeders and trainers.

eastie
08-14-2010, 02:02 PM
some real talent in here. They Love the $2 million guy. I have a really strong opinion on the :7: hoss. Looking at his work pattern, there are two instances where the hoss worked 2 full seconds faster or almost that 6 days later. It seems like they can do whatever they want with him, cause he's that good. He looked like he was ready to run 6 weeks ago,(he was working often and fast enough) but they take their time with him and point him for this race. You know it will be loaded, but what a chance to cash a bet if you have the goods. They spent $60K on the stud fee, so it must be their good mare. Lots to like.

Tom
08-14-2010, 03:23 PM
Owners wait to debut their babies here. There's only one maiden race that isn't a babie race, so Im not sure what you are upset about. two year olds debut at the Spa is a big deal for owners, breeders and trainers.

Owners, breeders, and trainers don't pay for the game. Bettors do.
Some like this stuff, others do not. For me, the worse part of Toga is the 2 yo races. I have no use for them and do not waste much time or money on Toga races. To each his own, but the good times of owners, breeders, and trainers isn't in the top 500 things I worry or care about.

jognlope
08-14-2010, 04:43 PM
The Wizard, a guy from NYC who has a web site, started after he got some huge pick 6 a few years back for $25,000 or something, was a restaurant manager in NYC before that, appears at Spa track on OTB channel. He gets some good wins, like exacta yesterday's 8th, keying 8 with a few, then 5, 6 and another one with 8, $35 each or something put down on each. The exacta for 6/8 was $110, so he made around $4000 on that one, and he's on again just before they enter gate to talk about how they're acting and how they look going in.

InsideThePylons-MW
08-14-2010, 04:50 PM
Owners, breeders, and trainers don't pay for the game. Bettors do.

That is not true!

"And our owners, who provide the major part of the funding for our sport, must be recognized for their contribution."......Arnold Zetcher, Chairman of the TOC

http://www.toconline.com/zetcherbio.htm

DeanT
08-14-2010, 04:56 PM
That is not true!

"And our owners, who provide the major part of the funding for our sport, must be recognized for their contribution."......Arnold Zetcher, Chairman of the TOC

http://www.toconline.com/zetcherbio.htm

I had a laugh at that too :)

Question: ITP, as a California horse owner do you find that you are recognized when you get a purse check? And if so, who pays for the purses you run for?

Tom
08-14-2010, 06:02 PM
Silly me.
The they won't miss me when I'm gone. :rolleyes:

InsideThePylons-MW
08-14-2010, 06:04 PM
I had a laugh at that too :)

Question: ITP, as a California horse owner do you find that you are recognized when you get a purse check? And if so, who pays for the purses you run for?

They takeout so many deductions from each purse check that I wish I wasn't recognized.

I thank Stronach, Harper, Fravel and the TOC (Zetcher, Auerbach, etc.) for the purses I run for. Without them, CA racing would be in big trouble.