PDA

View Full Version : Anyone recommend a track to bet 'show'?

Crush
08-11-2010, 12:14 PM
Hi,

My local track is Woodbine but was wondering about betting at other tracks. I'm factoring into my handicapping the art of 'staying out of a race' so find myself only wanting to bet on 3-4 races which isn't very fun.

I primarily bet 'show' on a second rate horse with a good value. So 12 horses can be running or 6, but my show payout can be very similar so I prefer races that have less horses.

Can someone recommend some good non cheating tracks that are 'show' bet friendly so I can bet online?

Thanks!

Greyfox
08-11-2010, 12:21 PM
For me, show betting is a waste of time, money, and energy at any track.
I also prefer to only bet races with 8 or more horses, not less.

kenwoodall2
08-11-2010, 12:32 PM
Hi,

My local track is Woodbine but was wondering about betting at other tracks. I'm factoring into my handicapping the art of 'staying out of a race' so find myself only wanting to bet on 3-4 races which isn't very fun.

I primarily bet 'show' on a second rate horse with a good value. So 12 horses can be running or 6, but my show payout can be very similar so I prefer races that have less horses.

Can someone recommend some good non cheating tracks that are 'show' bet friendly so I can bet online?

Thanks!
GGF, MD tracks.

skate
08-11-2010, 12:36 PM
Dog tracks, very good, but you play on tracks that do not have much wiggly room, in that you'll likely move the lines yourself.

But the dogs do pay a high show price frequently.

lamboguy
08-11-2010, 12:45 PM
years ago i used to bet dogs at wonderland park to show for the $2.20. i bet $10k every time and bet it on the same 2 dogs at the time, Shure Lilly, and Stano. between the 2 of them i had won 26 straight times. i went to bet the next time and the track refused to take my wager and had a security guard follow me around. that night the dog that i was going to bet pulled up and didn't make the board. and that is how i ended by show betting career at wondy. by the way in those days that dog track did almost $1 million handles on friday nights. but the place was the saratoga of dog racing.

RaceBookJoe
08-11-2010, 12:50 PM
Dog tracks, very good, but you play on tracks that do not have much wiggly room, in that you'll likely move the lines yourself.

But the dogs do pay a high show price frequently.

True...also noticed the place prices are fairly decent also , but like you say, too big a bet and you alter things. rbj

SMOO
08-11-2010, 12:57 PM
Mountaineer & Suffolk pay 2.20 instead of 2.10 minimum.

sonnyp
08-11-2010, 02:39 PM
Mountaineer & Suffolk pay 2.20 instead of 2.10 minimum.

to the $.20 min. add:
charlestown
prairie meadows

craigbraddick
08-11-2010, 06:01 PM
Arapahoe Park also pays a $2.20 minimum

HUSKER55
08-11-2010, 06:14 PM
I would help you if I could but I have never made show pan out. My picks wither win or get photoed out. If you have a good pair of binoculars the rest of my choices are still running around out there somewhere.

Crush
08-11-2010, 06:17 PM

I'm almost trying to do the opposite.

I'm betting show in races with a low number of horses. I bet on the high payout horse (not the favorite) and try to get 3.20 at least on a show. So far I'm mildly up but starting tomorrow will record my winnings so I can have a concrete number on ROI. I tried a exacta twice and 'almost won' both times but those exactas ate into my ROI. I often change my bet at the last minute if too many people are betting down the horse I originally wanted to bet on. It's too risky to bet show on a horse that doesn't pay out.

Tomorrow I'll be betting on 7 races actually.

My Woodbine Thu. Aug. 12th SHOW bets SUBJECT TO CHANGE AT TRACK is:

Race 1 - :2:
Race 2 - :4:
Race 3 - (sitting out)
Race 4 - :4:
Race 5 - :12:
Race 6 - :1:
Race 7 - :6:
Race 8 - :8:

therussmeister
08-11-2010, 09:44 PM
I've noticed Ellis Park show bets tend to pay well.

RaceBookJoe
08-11-2010, 10:09 PM
It just might have been one of those days, but the early card at Derby Lane had 15 races, for a total of 45 show payoffs with only 8 of them under $3.00. I got a place payoff of $22.40 in one race and $8.40 in another. Just cant bet too much into the pools. rbj

Turkoman
08-11-2010, 10:47 PM
years ago i used to bet dogs at wonderland park to show for the $2.20. i bet $10k every time and bet it on the same 2 dogs at the time, Shure Lilly, and Stano. between the 2 of them i had won 26 straight times. i went to bet the next time and the track refused to take my wager and had a security guard follow me around. that night the dog that i was going to bet pulled up and didn't make the board. and that is how i ended by show betting career at wondy. by the way in those days that dog track did almost $1 million handles on friday nights. but the place was the saratoga of dog racing.

Didn't Wonderland close recently? I think that's what I heard, not too long ago.

Turkoman

Turkoman
08-11-2010, 10:49 PM
It just might have been one of those days, but the early card at Derby Lane had 15 races, for a total of 45 show payoffs with only 8 of them under $3.00. I got a place payoff of $22.40 in one race and $8.40 in another. Just cant bet too much into the pools. rbj

Not too many years ago, the pools were much bigger. But Derby Lane is still a pretty decent track, in my opinion.

Turkoman

Robert Goren
08-11-2010, 11:37 PM
I believe some small track has cut its takeout in the show pool to 12%. If you are not betting very much that the first place I would look.

RaceBookJoe
08-12-2010, 11:48 AM
Not too many years ago, the pools were much bigger. But Derby Lane is still a pretty decent track, in my opinion.

Turkoman

Derby Lane update...last nights card had 15 out of 45 show payoffs under $3.00. I still like betting the dogs to place, and i find that i am making better money with dogs than i do with harness racing...and it also forces me to bet less. rbj

skate
08-12-2010, 12:24 PM

last nite, in passing i saw the win price at $14.00 and the place also at $14.00.
I think it was Derby lane in the ninth, maybe.

completebill
08-12-2010, 04:10 PM
" Friends who care do not let friends bet show.". It's just like driving drunk--nothing good can come of it.

I'm an HTR user, and have become fairly proficient in using the program's Robot function to test, research, and develop spot plays. In a recent conversation, Ken Massa, the programs developer, challanged me to create a spot play that, with a minimum of 500 plays per year, was ITM 100%.

It's a literal impossibility, I know, but still an interesting challenge. By doing these types of things, we also LEARN constantly (another recent challenge was to try to create a play that showed 1.000 straight losses!).

ANYWAY, at the 100% itm challenge, I asked Ken if his intent, if we were to be successful, was to become THE WORLD'S ONLY WINNING SHOW PARLEY bettor??!!

What did I mean by this story?? ---------------FORGET THE SHOW BETTING NONSENSE!!

RaceBookJoe
08-12-2010, 04:33 PM
last nite, in passing i saw the win price at $14.00 and the place also at $14.00.
I think it was Derby lane in the ninth, maybe.

Correct, also in the 14th race on tuesday night the winner was 5-2 , the place dog was 3-1...the place payoffs were $6.60 on the winner , $17.80 on the place dog....gotta love it haha rbj

Crush
08-13-2010, 12:32 AM
Race 1 - :2:
Race 2 - :4:
Race 3 - (sitting out)
Race 4 - :4:
Race 5 - :12:
Race 6 - :1:
Race 7 - :6:
Race 8 - :8:

Well I had my first 'losing day' at the track. I won only one race and the rest I lost. This is with betting 'show'. We spent three hours very carefully handicapping this last night and picking our races very carefully.

But today it's like any horse could have placed anywhere. It was like throwing darts today. On the weekend the races were much more close and exciting. Today the races were just a mish mash of horses finishing leaps and bounds in front of one another. PP seemed to have no effect on the outcomes.

Was this because it was a Thursday? How often can expect to have almost full losing days like this? Today was a totally different experience than I'm used to and it was very discouraging considering all the time spent handicapping.

appistappis
08-14-2010, 01:38 AM

i couldn't agree more

Track Collector
08-14-2010, 02:56 AM
Didn't Wonderland close recently? I think that's what I heard, not too long ago.

Turkoman

State voters made dog racing in MA illegal effective 01/01/10.

trackrat59
08-14-2010, 07:17 AM
Show betting is not as crazy as some might think. I started betting to show years ago just for fun while I was getting bored waiting for a race that I really liked and wanted to bet. I wait for my spots and only bet races I like. I would have fun with show parlays. Anyway, I got fairly good at making show bets.

Before the Derby this year I started making $50 show bets instead of my usual $20 and then parlay. No more than 3 $50 show bets a day got me a fairly good bankroll for betting the Derby. I hit the triple in the Derby and had the exacta a few times.

For me, I do rather well betting to show and it keeps me busy and out of trouble.