PDA

View Full Version : it's a funny kind of unemployment

JustRalph
08-09-2010, 03:17 PM
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704895004575395491314812452.html?m od=WSJ_hpp_LEFTTopStories

http://s.wsj.net/img/b.gif

Some Firms Struggle to Hire Despite High Unemployment
By MARK WHITEHOUSE

In Bloomington, Ill., machine shop Mechanical Devices can't find the workers it needs to handle a sharp jump in business. Job fairs run by airline Emirates attract fewer applicants in the U.S. than in other countries. Truck-stop operator Pilot Flying J says job postings don't elicit many more applicants than they did when the unemployment rate was below 5%.

With a 9.5% jobless rate and some 15 million Americans looking for work, many employers are inundated with applicants. But a surprising number say they are getting an underwhelming response, and many are having trouble filling open positions.

"This is as bad now as at the height of business back in the 1990s," says Dan Cunningham, chief executive of the Long-Stanton Manufacturing Co., a maker of stamped-metal parts in West Chester, Ohio, that has been struggling to hire a few toolmakers. "It's bizarre. We are just not getting applicants."

Employers and economists point to several explanations. Extending jobless benefits to 99 weeks gives the unemployed less incentive to search out new work. Millions of homeowners are unable to move for a job because the real-estate collapse leaves them owing more on their homes than they are worth.

The job market itself also has changed. During the crisis, companies slashed millions of middle-skill, middle-wage jobs. That has created a glut of people who can't qualify for highly skilled jobs but have a hard time adjusting to low-pay, unskilled work like the food servers that Pilot Flying J seeks for its truck stops.

The difficulty finding workers limits the economy's ability to grow. It is particularly troubling at a time when 4.3% of the labor force has been out of work for more than six months—a level much higher than after any other recession since 1948.

Some economists fear the U.S. could end up with a permanent caste of long-term unemployed, like those that weigh on government budgets in some European countries. "It is a very worrisome development," says Steven Davis, an economist at the University of Chicago's Booth School of Business. "It leads over a long period of time to social alienation as well as economic hardship."

much more at the link

Robert Goren
08-09-2010, 03:27 PM
Funny is right. I got offer for an interview last week even though I haven't sent out a resume in almost 2 years. They were practically begging me to come in. Since I had just spent 3 days in the hospital with a reoccurring health problem, I wasn't tempted to give up SS disability. I have a brother in Iowa who can't even get an interview for a convenience store cashier even I think his resume is more impressive than mine.

TJDave
08-09-2010, 03:32 PM
I agree with the points made in the article. However, what really scares me is the millions of young Americans now entering the job market with zero qualifications.

We have become a nation of sheep.

Pell Mell
08-09-2010, 05:03 PM
I see plenty of unemployed who have no interest in a job unless it's under the table. They aren't going to look for a job as long as they can collect benefits and do odd jobs for cash and party all night. :bang:

boxcar
08-09-2010, 07:20 PM
I see plenty of unemployed who have no interest in a job unless it's under the table. They aren't going to look for a job as long as they can collect benefits and do odd jobs for cash and party all night. :bang:

The unemployed are redefining the "American Dream".

Boxcar

Native Texan III
08-09-2010, 07:27 PM
What do they mean "could"?

"Some economists fear the U.S. could end up with a permanent caste of long-term unemployed, like those that weigh on government budgets in some European countries. "It is a very worrisome development," says Steven Davis, an economist at the University of Chicago's Booth School of Business. "It leads over a long period of time to social alienation as well as economic hardship."

They were saying these same things in 2003.
Social alienation as well as economic hardship in USA is a new possibility?
Where have these economists been hiding?

• College graduates represent 15.3% of total unemployment, but 19.1% of long-term unemployment. Long-term unemployment among college-educated workers increased by 299.4% between 2000 and 2003, a much faster rate than the increase of 156.1% for workers with a high school degree or less.

• While long-term unemployment hit all age and occupational groups, more experienced jobless workers had a disproportionately difficult time getting back to work in 2003. Although job seekers age 45 and older made up 25.7% of the total unemployed population, the rate of long-term unemployment for this group was 35.4%.

http://www.epi.org/publications/entry/issuebriefs_ib198/