PDA

View Full Version : Youbet

ljb
08-20-2003, 12:03 PM
I just tried to get on Youbet. and they are asking for email address verification?
anybody else have this today? With all the internet scams going on one can't be to careful. thanks,
ljb

azmike
08-20-2003, 01:11 PM
I signed on without any request for an email verification. Maybe you should call first before giving your email address.

bill
08-20-2003, 07:23 PM
i signed on ok i use the cd version

bill

MikeDee
08-21-2003, 07:48 AM
If you are a ubet customer, you already gave them your email address when you signed up for your account. Sounds like they may have added an additional security step. I use the CD version as well and have not been asked for my email.

ponyplayer
08-22-2003, 10:07 PM
I don't recall ever being asked for e-mail verification. Maybe if you mispell the username or password that question comes up.

Tom
08-22-2003, 10:57 PM
I had to cancel my account with them becasue there was just no way to get the site to function on my computer. I now have a new, very much improves puter and went ot see if You Bet would work now. Still no luck at all. Must be TimeWarner Cable is at fault. Does anyone using TW Road Runner in the WEstern NY are use YouBet? TW claims they are not the fault, but I just don't believe them. I used YouBet for years until one day everything just stopped working.
How about a CD version? Do they still offer that?

bill
08-22-2003, 11:44 PM
tom
i use the cd ver

at one time my isp blocked ubet
had all kinds of hell

finalt got isp to say it was blocking

after a about a week i got the isp to let it through

i dont know if they will send out cd s any more

i know that this wont help you but mabe

it will

bill

Pace Cap'n
08-23-2003, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by Tom
I had to cancel my account with them becasue there was just no way to get the site to function on my computer. I now have a new, very much improves puter and went ot see if You Bet would work now. Still no luck at all. Must be TimeWarner Cable is at fault. Does anyone using TW Road Runner in the WEstern NY are use YouBet? TW claims they are not the fault, but I just don't believe them. I used YouBet for years until one day everything just stopped working.
How about a CD version? Do they still offer that?

I don't have the slightest idea if this relates to your difficulties or not, just something I ran across in the news. What caught my eye was the "blocked ports".

----------------------------------------------------------------

Like other worms, Blaster propagates via several Internet-based programs. To alert the user community, various authorities issued dire warnings about how to block the culprit and contain its damage. One of these warnings came from our federal Department of Homeland Security, which issued its alert at the end of July.

Several broadband network administrators took it upon themselves to cut off inbound access to the three ports recommended by the feds, specifically ports 135, 139, and 445. This broke several other legitimate applications (including Outlook/Exchange transactions that occur over the public Internet). Several people complained when they were told the only way to connect to their Exchange servers was to install a VPN, use Outlook Web Access, or upgrade to Exchange 2003 (which isn't yet available). Exchange actually uses a bunch of different ports besides 135, for those of you interested

Full Story (story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/cmp/20030823/tc_cmp/13101047&e=3)

MikeDee
08-23-2003, 07:39 AM
Tom I am pretty certain the ubet still sends out the CD version for those that ask for it. I got the latest version a few months ago. Give them a call.

P.S. I use a dsl from the <gag> local telco. It works fine, I have never had anywhere near the problems you have described with youbet. Now that I think of it the video with you ubet had been great for some time now, no stop and go or freeze frames. I take my laptop to my daughters house (they have a cable modem with adelphia) and the dsl does run a tad slower versus their connection, but they have many unexplained outages, my service rarely has a problem....now if I could just keep the electricity on:(

Larry Hamilton
08-23-2003, 10:36 AM
The CD version of YouBet they sent me was 3.0, plainly marked on CD. That version will not load on computers with xp. I called them, and in real time they coached me to "RUN" something. I have forgotten what it was as this was months ago. Also, again in plain sight, you will notice that once you are running, the software updates itself--currently version 4.1.

No matter how much of a pain in the ass it is to get started, few things in our horsey world are a better bargain.

Tom
08-23-2003, 02:19 PM
When you use the CD YouBet version, does it still look to update files and such every time you log in?
That is where the problem is - the upgrading prcoess takes over 12 hours and then the computer freezes up.
I just don't understand why YouBet is so different than other sites - BridBet has absolutely no problems ever, same with Express bet. I don't see anyhting in UB video that makes it any better than these two. Even the sampel video on their homepage workss just fine.

azmike
08-23-2003, 02:49 PM
When I use the CD or the internet version they each look for updates each time I log on but it takes only "seconds" before it completes the log on.

I am not that computer literate but perhaps if you did a complete uninstall of youbet and reinstalled the cd?

Tom
08-23-2003, 03:59 PM
I don't have the CD....just trying to get on the website.
I thought the problem was my old POS W98 computer, but the new POS XP does the same thig, which is why I think the problem is RoadRunner (all in all, a VERY overrated service provider).
I think the thing to do is dump Time Warner and find a better service provider.

azmike
08-23-2003, 04:06 PM
I use Windows XP and connect via Cox cable and it works very smoothly. I am on-line about every day and have no problems and very good video. This may not help to hear I am doing okay but maybe it will zero in on the problem--which I suspect is your internet provider.

JustRalph
08-23-2003, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Tom
I don't have the CD....just trying to get on the website.
I thought the problem was my old POS W98 computer, but the new POS XP does the same thig, which is why I think the problem is RoadRunner (all in all, a VERY overrated service provider).
I think the thing to do is dump Time Warner and find a better service provider.

Tom

Find a friend with a laptop and have them come over (or bring a desktop, either way) and have them try to connect. If it works fine, it's your computer. Here is some food for thought.

You have probably installed some of the same apps on your new system that were on your old system. Maybe a certain application that you have installed is killing youbet. The other way to find out is to clean install or recover your new computer ( you wipe it and start over) and before you put anything else on the system, except for the fix for the msblaster virus from last week, you try to connect to youbet. If it works fine, start installing your apps making a restore point for every app or two. When you finish installing an application, try to connect to youbet. If a certain app is causing the problem, you will know it. You can then use the restore point you created to return to your previous configuration. If you have the same problems with Youbet after a clean install or recovery, then it will be time to blame the provider. They may be blocking some ports, or throttling the bandwidth down on some via their routers. This is very common and if they are real idiots and somebody has something against gambling or Horse racing, they could be doing it on purpose. Try going to your closest neighbor with the same provider and logging into youbet on his machine.........that could give you an answer too. I have had roadrunner and I am looking at houses in Columbus Ohio right now, that use Roadrunner. I prefer it frankly. But they are all locally owned or managed therefore locally screwed up. So you could have a much different experience than I. Food for Thought.

MikeDee
08-26-2003, 04:39 AM
Tom I haven't used Ubet express the web version in months, but just for kicks I logged in. It did the software update but it took only 17 seconds.

The Cd version also does software updates not nearly as often as the express product but it to only takes seocnds to update.

Tom
08-26-2003, 07:27 PM
I'll try out the suggestions here.
One more question.....somone said that a cable company might have blocked a port? What does this mean? Is there specific port I should be asking my cable compnay about? And if it is blocked, is that the end of of it, or is there a way to find another port?
I am also asking UB for a CD version, but somehow, I get the feeling even that won't work. I am going ahead and fund BrisBet and EbetUSA.....I do not hold out any hope fro UB...their own techs do not understand what the UB software is doing, so that gives me a really cold feeling about their understanding of their product.

JustRalph
08-27-2003, 02:10 AM
Tom

Consider your computer a large building. There are only so many doors on the building. there are numbers over each door. Those numbers signify which door you are to use to enter, based on why you are entering the building. If you are the mailman
you use door number 110 or door 25 depending on whether you are delivering or picking up. There are thousands of doors on your computer...er....Building. Every application uses certain doors (Ports) Youbet writes their software to only come in on certain ports (doors). If the cable company doesn't want you to use Youbet software, they put a lock on whatever door Youbet is using. The result is you cannot use Youbet or they take a Man size door and lock it and install a doggy door that will only let a small bit in at a time (throttle the bandwidth on that port via their router) the result is that you cannot use Youbet at all or it works like crap and pukes whenever the doggy door gets clogged up.

Try this info below from this page...this might clear things up for you. Let me know if you need any help. I just found this page tonight or I would have sent you here before.

http://www.youbet.com/faq/faq_content.html

Youbet info on ports here:
If certain ports are blocked (by a personal/corporate firewall or ISP), then you will not be able to connect to Youbet using the CD product. Most of the time, these ports are not blocked by default and access is permitted from your computer to all ports on all computers on the Internet.

If you are a CD user and something is blocking necessary ports between your computer and Youbet.com:
· A personal firewall (such as a router/firewall appliance or firewall software package) may be blocking required ports. You will need to open the required ports on your firewall (see following section) or switch to Youbet Express by selecting the 'Racing Log In' option on our homepage.
· A corporate firewall (i.e. at work) may be blocking required ports. You will need to contact your network administrator to open the required ports using the information in the following section or switch to Youbet Express by selecting the 'Racing Log In' option on our homepage.
· Your ISP may be blocking required ports (Note: We have had problems with TICNET blocking port 1433). Contact your ISP or switch to Youbet Express by selecting the 'Racing Log In' option on our homepage.

The link below tests connectivity from your machine to Youbet on several different TCP ports used by the Youbet Network CD client. A different port is tested in each of six different panes and all but the last one (port 9999) should pass.

http://www.youbet.com/ybntest/default.asp

Below you can find the required ports that you, your ISP, or your network administrator will need to allow access to the Youbet network:

(All connections are from your computer to Youbet except as noted).

CD Product Ports
· TCP 80
· TCP 443
· TCP 1755 (A/V for dial-up connections)
· UDP 1755 (A/V for dial-up connections)
· UDP 1024-5000 (A/V for dial-up connections)- to your computer
· TCP 1433
· TCP 2010
· FTP 21 (only for sending diagnostic files)

Youbet Express Ports
· TCP 80
· TCP 443
· TCP 1755 (A/V for dial-up connections)
· UDP 1755 (A/V for dial-up connections)
· UDP 1024-5000 (A/V for dial-up connections) - to your computer

Youbet Network IPs (for CD and Youbet Express)
Network: 12.107.20.0
Mask: 255.255.255.0

Error Messages

"Unable to initialize Session Manager":
· Try to connect again.

"YBRN.INI has been deleted":
· Check in Recycle Bin to see if "YBRN.INI" is dumped there. If so, move it back to the Desktop. If not, perform a search using Windows Find (Start Menu>>Find>>File). If you still cannot find the file, reinstall the Youbet Network software.

Secure Data Transfer Control not installed
This error indicates that the Youbet Secure Data Transfer Control has not been installed correctly on your computer. Youbet has developed this control to provide optimum security for all of your wagering transactions, and it must be installed to access the Youbet network.

First, close all open Internet Explorer browser windows, including this one.

Then, re-launch your Internet Explorer browser, and come back to this spot (www.youbet.com FAQ).

Next, follow the instructions on this page.

Secure Data Transfer Control could not be upgraded
This error indicates that the Youbet Secure Data Transfer Control needs to be uninstalled, so a newer version can be installed on your computer. Youbet has developed this control to provide optimum security for all of your wager transactions, and it must be updated to access the Youbet network.

First, close all open Internet Explorer browser windows, including this one.

Then, re-launch your Internet Explorer browser, and come back to this spot (www.youbet.com FAQ).

Next, follow the instructions on this page.
http://www.youbet.com/faq/YBRequestCleanup.htm

JimG
05-06-2007, 08:17 AM
I am ressurrecting an old thread here. I need to use Youbet again due to the latest stuff with online providers. Anyhow, I wanted to use the cd version. I had version 4.2, installed with no problems but when I try to go online it does not connect.

Is anybody still using the cd version of Youbet? I want to make sure they still support it before spending a lot of time trying to figure out why. Thanks.

Jim

Steve 'StatMan'
05-06-2007, 01:38 PM
Lots of new features online the last few years. Better wagering pad than before, dual videos, charts and statistics, video replays, online contests, etc. Really have to suggest going to the web version. Have no idea if they still support the CD versions, but all their development the last few years has gone toward the online version.

BillW
05-06-2007, 01:52 PM
Lots of new features online the last few years. Better wagering pad than before, dual videos, charts and statistics, video replays, online contests, etc. Really have to suggest going to the web version. Have no idea if they still support the CD versions, but all their development the last few years has gone toward the online version.

They require that you run windows and IE if that's an issue.

JimG
05-06-2007, 02:02 PM
I'm using the internet version of YouBet until I can figure out if the cd version still works. Back to my question, is anybody currently using the cd version of YouBet? Thanks.

Jim

PaceAdvantage
05-07-2007, 02:47 AM
I'm trying to figure out why this thread is in off-topic....

JimG
05-07-2007, 06:26 AM
I'm trying to figure out why this thread is in off-topic....

You'd have to go back to 2003 to get that answer. My question still is anybody using the cd version of YouBet?

Jim

Ron
05-07-2007, 09:27 AM
Why would anyone use the cd version? Is it because you have dial-up still?

JimG
05-07-2007, 11:27 AM
Why would anyone use the cd version? Is it because you have dial-up still?

No.

skate
05-07-2007, 12:59 PM
i think jimg might be getting impatient

and i dont blame him or her.

no

JimG
05-07-2007, 01:40 PM
i think jimg might be getting impatient

and i dont blame him or her.

no

Don't try to think, you may not be equipped for that. I just asked a simple question. Could be nobody is using the cd version. No problem.

JimG

qhrick
05-07-2007, 02:18 PM
You'd have to go back to 2003 to get that answer. My question still is anybody using the cd version of YouBet?

Jim

Youbet pulled the plug on the CD version some time ago

JimG
05-07-2007, 02:37 PM
Youbet pulled the plug on the CD version some time ago

I appreciate the reply. Thanks.

Jim

skate
05-08-2007, 05:39 PM
Don't try to think, you may not be equipped for that. I just asked a simple question. Could be nobody is using the cd version. No problem.

JimG

ya your right, i just forgots.;)

skate
05-09-2007, 02:29 PM
jimkg

hey, we got your answer, without thinking.

thank you