PDA

View Full Version : The Fall of the American Republic

sammy the sage
08-09-2010, 08:45 AM
The Fall of the American Republic: The Quiet Coup By Simon Johnson

"From 1973 to 1985, the financial sector never earned more than 16 percent of domestic corporate profits. In 1986, that figure reached 19 percent. In the 1990s, it oscillated between 21 percent and 30 percent, higher than it had ever been in the postwar period. This decade, it reached 41 percent."

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2009/05/the-quiet-coup/7364/

so sorry to interrupt the pug/crat finger pointing...it's THE banker's WHO rule...w/the help of incumbent politicians...REGARDLESS of party....HELLO?

maybe a FEW more of you will GET your heads outta the sand!
I'm voting AGAINST ALL incumbents...at EVERY level...regardless of party line...people in office NEED to SERVE the PUBLIC...NOT the other way around...well...that's my 2 cents worth...(1943 copper that is!)

sammy the sage
08-09-2010, 05:32 PM
Wow...amazing/sickening...what-ever...not a SINGLE response to our GREATEST threat...

at least ONCE in the past...this great nation had a President w/stones TO UNDERSTAND...what the F...is GOING on...yet...now the public is EVEN more APATHETIC...

As Andrew Jackson noted of the Second Bank of the United States, the predecessor to the Fed which came back into being 80 years after:

"Gentlemen, I have had men watching you for a long time and I am convinced that you have used the funds of the bank to speculate in the breadstuffs of the country. When you won, you divided the profits amongst you, and when you lost, you charged it to the bank. You tell me that if I take the deposits from the bank and annul its charter, I shall ruin ten thousand families. That may be true, gentlemen, but that is your sin! Should I let you go on, you will ruin fifty thousand families, and that would be my sin! You are a den of vipers and thieves. I intend to rout you out, and by the grace of the Eternal God, will rout you out."

Ya'll DESERVE what's coming...just like the ALL other empires of THE past! :bang:

Dave Schwartz
08-09-2010, 06:27 PM
Sammy, I have been forced to truly become politically apathetic. I cannot affect change beyond casting a single vote, so I am avoiding comments as much as possible.

Please do not think that I (and others like me) do not care.

We are in a boat that is capsizing to port and the solution in play right now is to fill the starboard side with water. :bang:

boxcar
08-09-2010, 07:09 PM
Wow...amazing/sickening...what-ever...not a SINGLE response to our GREATEST threat...

at least ONCE in the past...this great nation had a President w/stones TO UNDERSTAND...what the F...is GOING on...yet...now the public is EVEN more APATHETIC...

As Andrew Jackson noted of the Second Bank of the United States, the predecessor to the Fed which came back into being 80 years after:

"Gentlemen, I have had men watching you for a long time and I am convinced that you have used the funds of the bank to speculate in the breadstuffs of the country. When you won, you divided the profits amongst you, and when you lost, you charged it to the bank. You tell me that if I take the deposits from the bank and annul its charter, I shall ruin ten thousand families. That may be true, gentlemen, but that is your sin! Should I let you go on, you will ruin fifty thousand families, and that would be my sin! You are a den of vipers and thieves. I intend to rout you out, and by the grace of the Eternal God, will rout you out."

Ya'll DESERVE what's coming...just like the ALL other empires of THE past! :bang:

Gotta love it when a leader tells it like it is -- doesn't mince with his words.
Where are such leaders today?

Boxcar

plainolebill
08-09-2010, 07:30 PM
Exactly so. We've been sold down the river by greedy, gutless politicians - both sides of the aisle. Sad thing is that I don't see anyone on the horizon that can or will try to change things.

lamboguy
08-09-2010, 09:12 PM
Exactly so. We've been sold down the river by greedy, gutless politicians - both sides of the aisle. Sad thing is that I don't see anyone on the horizon that can or will try to change things.sammy the sage is right, and you have hit the nail on the head.

this country was not meant to be run by people like the last 2 presidents. i guarantee the forefathers of this country are now rolling over in their graves looking down at us now.....

Mike at A+
08-09-2010, 09:13 PM
Exactly so. We've been sold down the river by greedy, gutless politicians - both sides of the aisle. Sad thing is that I don't see anyone on the horizon that can or will try to change things.
PAUL RYAN

bks
08-09-2010, 11:09 PM
Thanks for posting that, Sammy. I posted this presentation on another thread, so apologies for the cross-posting. It covers some of the same ground.

The bottom line: when the financial sector is given too free a reign as it is today, the rest of the society is progressively starved.

http://www.observer.com/2010/wall-street/todays-must-see-animated-capitalist-takedown-rsa-and-david-harvey

LottaKash
08-09-2010, 11:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VebOTc-7shU

boxcar
08-09-2010, 11:22 PM
Thanks for posting that, Sammy. I posted this presentation on another thread, so apologies for the cross-posting. It covers some of the same ground.

The bottom line: when the financial sector is given too free a reign as it is today, the rest of the society is progressively starved.

http://www.observer.com/2010/wall-street/todays-must-see-animated-capitalist-takedown-rsa-and-david-harvey

No! The real bottom line is when this unholy alliance between the private and public sectors, the people get caught in between these two behemoths and there is no escape. These twp monsters will trample us and our freedoms to death.

Boxcar

Jay Trotter
08-09-2010, 11:23 PM
Sammy,

Great post! I try not to comment too much in the Off Topics but I think you nailed it with your quote.

I would venture to say that you didn't receive much response because you stated your "chagrin" without picking one side or the other! From what I've seen, you need to "clearly" stand on one side or the other and not on the side of "reason" if you want a response. Only then will you receive an "attaboy" or a "your nuts" comment -- there is no inbetween!

Trotter:ThmbUp:

"Gentlemen, I have had men watching you for a long time and I am convinced that you have used the funds of the bank to speculate in the breadstuffs of the country. When you won, you divided the profits amongst you, and when you lost, you charged it to the bank.

PaceAdvantage
08-11-2010, 03:32 AM
PAUL RYANI second that!

fast4522
08-11-2010, 05:42 AM
Great video, the more who see it the better.

Mike at A+
08-11-2010, 09:25 AM
I second that!
During the Healthcare "Summit", Paul Ryan came prepared with facts and figures. Obama's only strategy was to limit his speaking time saying "I'm the president". In a fair debate where details matter and time is allotted properly, Paul Ryan would mop the floor with Obama who would be a bumbling fool without his teleprompter turning every question into his usual pie in the sky generalizations and attacks on George W. Bush. In other words, all rhetoric and no substance.

A Ryan/Romney ticket in 2012 would get America back on track especially on matters of the economy. The Dem's campaign would go negative immediately because they have no accomplishments to their credit. They'd focus on Ryan's youth, Romney's Mormonism and the usual scare tactics such as taking away a woman's right to choose. Blah blah blah, we heard it all already.

ArlJim78
08-11-2010, 09:40 AM

how does the financial sector have free reign? it is fully defined and regulated by the Federal government from top to bottom.

LottaKash
08-11-2010, 11:25 AM
how does the financial sector have free reign? it is fully defined and regulated by the "Courrupted" Federal government from top to bottom.

ArlJim78, I took the liberty of adding a "missing" word (in red).....

The present gov't doesn't feel the need to adhere to the rules any longer....The have, bit by bit, started, and currently are in the process of tearing down the contstitution until it is rendered usueless.....And then the real fun will begin...

It happened inch by inch, and step by step, in Itlay with Mussolini's gangsters, in Germany by Hitler and his madmen, and in Russia by Marx and Lenin serving their un-godly alliance with the devil.....It has come here now, with you know who and his "gangstesrs".....Just as then, in history, I see this as plain as day, today...

This is how it begins.....

sadly,

ArlJim78
08-11-2010, 12:05 PM
ArlJim78, I took the liberty of adding a "missing" word (in red).....

The present gov't doesn't feel the need to adhere to the rules any longer....The have, bit by bit, started, and currently are in the process of tearing down the contstitution until it is rendered usueless.....And then the real fun will begin...

It happened inch by inch, and step by step, in Itlay with Mussolini's gangsters, in Germany by Hitler and his madmen, and in Russia by Marx and Lenin serving their un-godly alliance with the devil.....It has come here now, with you know who and his "gangstesrs".....Just as then, in history, I see this as plain as day, today...

This is how it begins.....

sadly,
I agree with you, the corrupt government has opened the door for all kinds of malfeasance and with a docile and compliant media, and with so many Americans not willing to take sides because they have a financial interest in keeping the gravy train rolling, you have a government that has run amuck. Which is squandering the wealth of the nation. In fact from my point of view this current regime of democrats is running this country like gangsters, stealing money and giving it to their cronies, buying votes, etc.

JustRalph
08-11-2010, 12:13 PM
The Ryan Roadmap has been getting a lot of play lately.

ArlJim78
08-11-2010, 12:30 PM
Ryan must be doing something right. They're starting to take a lot of shots at him. lead economic lapdog Paul Krugman took his best shot recently, of course Krugman is a laughingstock so it only enhances Ryan's status.

Horsepicker
08-11-2010, 04:39 PM
so sorry to interrupt the pug/crat finger pointing...it's THE banker's WHO rule...w/the help of incumbent politicians...REGARDLESS of party....HELLO?

maybe a FEW more of you will GET your heads outta the sand!

Naaaaahhh..., its simply too much "sport" and fun to be a racist and hypocrite, like good ole fashion lynchings, no particular reason, just boys and girls taking their frustration and boredom out on the most extremely unfortunate and defenseless, selling cut off toes and lips in pickle jars for souvenirs , the era of "family values", good family fun.

Too much work and sacrifice to dig into research and find the real enemies, because it will require sacrifice and unity, and less buying of "stuff" we like.

Slavery or Starvation, we will pick Slavery, hands down, "....I got a family to feed...," which translates to if it comes to sacrifice to take down the Giant Beast, all the beast has to do is offer "our" family an EXTRA biscuit and chicken bone more than the other poor slob, we will stab our bro in the back looking him straight in the eye and smiling, ".....got to do what I got to do for my family is all..,"

Voting is totally useless in a corrupt compromised system, totally saturated with Billionaires and Trillionaires money...,

money owned by the Quintillionaire families, THEY print, THEY give value, but most of all, a private family business for 300 that have EXCLUSIVE and SOLE earthly custody and power to create the actual money that Governments of the world need for War and other things,can create $30 virtual dollars for us to borrow for every REAL $1 in real assets, THEN the earth citizens PAY it at interest......, s-w-e-e-t......,

Voting and Politics...., thats like some dope promising he is going to join the Mafia and from the inside, is going to make them more friendly, less corrupt, and user friendly, squeaky clean...., a definite CRACK smoker.

Guy like that is either going to join in on the killing, or be buried in lime in some remote desert or mountain.

Don't be that guy or support a guy like that, dude, he's either straight out lying or hopped up on CRACK/CRANK.

Last and final voting power= where you spend your dollar.

Small entrepreneurs, Mom and Pop employs more than Corporations.

Don't be a Corporate protectionist. They will screw you no matter how loyal , hardworking and sacrificial you are to their company.

They are Nazis without bullets, they use cash to exterminate the American Worker.

No matter how loyal a slave is, they still get crapped on, whipped, spit on,beaten, used like toilet paper and lynched in the end, we are slowly being enslaved as we speak, read history and don't repeat it, but , alas, this is on deaf ears...,

...on with the "sport".

Maybe thats why it is called the chosen few and NOBODY knows who they are.

This is easy, just wait, the horror show has not begun, worse than any horror movie you seen or anything that has happened in past biblical and historic accounts, but it simply will have to be experienced to finally be believed, which then, as of now, it is already too late.

Regular joes feeding on themselves, their fellow citizens and their neighbor , as the Rothchilds/ Rockefellar and others have planned.

In a moment, there will positively , absolutely be no doubt whatsoever of who and what Satan and Evil really is.

Don't worry, have another beer and watch T.V.

Horsepicker

Horsepicker
08-11-2010, 04:57 PM
Like dude said, joining the Dark Side is faster, easier.

Anyone can join a Mob a start stomping anyone in their way like a soccer hooligan.

I've seen street fights where the dudes jumpin in did not know either side nor know what the squabble was about, just started kicken and stopping,mob mentality, "everyone else is doing it."

Others call that "just boys sewing their oats, having fun,right of passage," go figure.

Horsepicker

JustRalph
08-11-2010, 05:09 PM
Another Soothsayer who is above the fray............come on......... it's been done before and is tired and old.

Naaaaahhh..., its simply too much "sport" and fun to be a racist and hypocrite, like good ole fashion lynchings, no particular reason, just boys and girls taking their frustration and boredom out on the most extremely unfortunate and defenseless, selling cut off toes and lips in pickle jars for souvenirs , the era of "family values", good family fun.

Too much work and sacrifice to dig into research and find the real enemies, because it will require sacrifice and unity, and less buying of "stuff" we like.

Slavery or Starvation, we will pick Slavery, hands down, "....I got a family to feed...," which translates to if it comes to sacrifice to take down the Giant Beast, all the beast has to do is offer "our" family an EXTRA biscuit and chicken bone more than the other poor slob, we will stab our bro in the back looking him straight in the eye and smiling, ".....got to do what I got to do for my family is all..,"

Voting is totally useless in a corrupt compromised system, totally saturated with Billionaires and Trillionaires money...,

money owned by the Quintillionaire families, THEY print, THEY give value, but most of all, a private family business for 300 that have EXCLUSIVE and SOLE earthly custody and power to create the actual money that Governments of the world need for War and other things,can create $30 virtual dollars for us to borrow for every REAL $1 in real assets, THEN the earth citizens PAY it at interest......, s-w-e-e-t......,

Voting and Politics...., thats like some dope promising he is going to join the Mafia and from the inside, is going to make them more friendly, less corrupt, and user friendly, squeaky clean...., a definite CRACK smoker.

Guy like that is either going to join in on the killing, or be buried in lime in some remote desert or mountain.

Don't be that guy or support a guy like that, dude, he's either straight out lying or hopped up on CRACK/CRANK.

Don't be a Corporate protectionist. They will screw you no matter how loyal , hardworking and sacrificial you are to their company.

They are Nazis without bullets, they use cash to exterminate the American Worker.

No matter how loyal a slave is, they still get crapped on, whipped, spit on,beaten, used like toilet paper and lynched in the end, we are slowly being enslaved as we speak, read history and don't repeat it, but , alas, this is on deaf ears...,

...on with the "sport".

Maybe thats why it is called the chosen few and NOBODY knows who they are.

This is easy, just wait, the horror show has not begun, worse than any horror movie you seen or anything that has happened in past biblical and historic accounts, but it simply will have to be experienced to finally be believed, which then, as of now, it is already too late.

Regular joes feeding on themselves, their fellow citizens and their neighbor , as the Rothchilds/ Rockefellar and others have planned.

In a moment, there will positively , absolutely be no doubt whatsoever of who and what Satan and Evil really is.

Don't worry, have another beer and watch T.V.

Horsepicker

Horsepicker
08-11-2010, 09:31 PM
Another Soothsayer who is above the fray............come on......... it's been done before and is tired and old.

Sorry to "tire" you with history and not to be repeated, murder for kicks and other stuff.

Continue on your "sport" which will rid corruption at all levels and disciplines....,

....... yeah.., right.

Horsepicker

plainolebill
08-11-2010, 11:58 PM
Ryan must be doing something right. They're starting to take a lot of shots at him. lead economic lapdog Paul Krugman took his best shot recently, of course Krugman is a laughingstock so it only enhances Ryan's status.

Ryan have anything to say about the original topic, government by the bankers/wallstreet?

bigmack
08-12-2010, 12:10 AM
One tidy, sure-fire trifecta: Paul Ryan, Judd Gregg & Chris Christie.

ArlJim78
08-12-2010, 12:36 AM
Ryan have anything to say about the original topic, government by the bankers/wallstreet?
I doubt if he has much to say on it, he's a pretty sharp guy.

bigmack
08-12-2010, 12:47 AM

Have you stopped to see how many 'Mom & Pops' & then some are in fact, Corporations?

Evil Corporations scare you? Boo! I've got three.

plainolebill
08-12-2010, 01:25 AM
I doubt if he has much to say on it, he's a pretty sharp guy.

I'm not too sharp - what's that mean? The original topic isn't important?

ArlJim78
08-12-2010, 08:17 AM
I'm not too sharp - what's that mean? The original topic isn't important?
The original topic is important, but Wall street bankers and corporations are not the culprits. Congress is the body that has ushered us along the path to ruin, but I go further than that. We, as in the American people, have allowed this to happen. We have the congress we deserve. we've gotten lazy, lack the morals we once had, and have stood by cheering them on year after year while they were building up the debt. Years and years of ignoring basic economics, focusing only on the here and now, and not caring about the future, living in the fantasy world that we can just borrow as much money as we want to spend has caught up to us, or is catching up to us. Anyone who has voted for people who lack real fiscal discipline, or not voted at all, have contributed to this.

ArlJim78
08-12-2010, 08:38 AM
I might add that if you're a person who believes in big government solutions, the inevitable result is that they will implode.

from the article that Sammy linked to;

No, the real concern of the fund’s senior staff, and the biggest obstacle to recovery, is almost invariably the politics of countries in crisis.

Typically, these countries are in a desperate economic situation for one simple reason—the powerful elites within them overreached in good times and took too many risks.

and

But there’s a deeper and more disturbing similarity: elite business interests—financiers, in the case of the U.S.—played a central role in creating the crisis, making ever-larger gambles, with the implicit backing of the government, until the inevitable collapse. More alarming, they are now using their influence to prevent precisely the sorts of reforms that are needed, and fast, to pull the economy out of its nosedive. The government seems helpless, or unwilling, to act against them.

notice that while business elites played a central role in creating the crisis, according to the author, and are using their influence to prevent reforms, but gosh darn it the government was helpless or unwilling to take action. HOGWASH, government was the central player. The risky gambles were taken because that is what government wanted them to do, because they knew government had their backs, that they were to big to fail.
Government wasn't a helpless bystander, it was the instigator. It is inevitable when you entrust people to spend very large sums of other peoples money, that the money will be wasted. That's why we have to always seek to minimize the size of government.

tboy4
08-14-2010, 07:21 PM
Amen!

boxcar
08-14-2010, 08:05 PM
I might add that if you're a person who believes in big government solutions, the inevitable result is that they will implode.

and

notice that while business elites played a central role in creating the crisis, according to the author, and are using their influence to prevent reforms, but gosh darn it the government was helpless or unwilling to take action. HOGWASH, government was the central player. The risky gambles were taken because that is what government wanted them to do, because they knew government had their backs, that they were to big to fail.
Government wasn't a helpless bystander, it was the instigator. It is inevitable when you entrust people to spend very large sums of other peoples money, that the money will be wasted. That's why we have to always seek to minimize the size of government.

Exactly right. When it's not their money over which they are a stewards, why would the unrighteous politicians care how it's squandered? From their perspective, the well will never run dry. They deceive themselves into thinking they can dip and dip and dip and...

Boxcar

plainolebill
08-15-2010, 02:12 AM

and

Kiss my ass you smug prick. I not only think govt is too big but totally ineffective. Cons and libs fall into that category. The banks need a leash too.

bigmack
08-15-2010, 04:26 AM
Kiss my ass you smug prick.
Wow. Justice, Oregon style. :p