PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Nick Hines Brother?

Stillriledup
08-09-2010, 03:28 AM
I don't see Nick on the air much anymore in So Cal. I think i've seen him sparingly on tv, i know he's not training anymore, he was running that stable with Eric Guillot, but i havent seen one Guillot horse running in So Cal in quite some time.

Wherearethou Nick, we miss ya brother!

PaceAdvantage
08-09-2010, 03:40 AM
I just saw him the other day on TVG...and your thread title makes it seem you're asking about Nick Hines's actual brother (if he has one...I don't know if he does or not).

thaskalos
08-09-2010, 03:41 AM
I don't see Nick on the air much anymore in So Cal. I think i've seen him sparingly on tv, i know he's not training anymore, he was running that stable with Eric Guillot, but i havent seen one Guillot horse running in So Cal in quite some time.

Wherearethou Nick, we miss ya brother!Maybe he read some of the opinions about him, on this board.

For what it's worth...I liked him.

I thought he was much improved, over the earlier version...

Stillriledup
08-09-2010, 08:21 PM
I just saw him the other day on TVG...and your thread title makes it seem you're asking about Nick Hines's actual brother (if he has one...I don't know if he does or not).

No, i was using brother the same way Hulk Hogan uses it. Sorry for that, after i re-read it, you were right. Of course, if Nick has a brother, i'd love to know how he's doing....along with the Sarge. Hope you're ok sarge, many miss you on the set in So Cal.

horses4courses
08-09-2010, 08:31 PM
He was on TVG this afternoon....I think it was the 1-5pm PT slot.

Yesterday morning, also, he was live on the phone reporting to the studio from Del Mar, where he had been watching works. About an hour after the tragic death of Tuscan Evening, Nick was relaying what he had seen first hand.
Understandably, he was pretty choked up.

Stillriledup
08-09-2010, 08:34 PM
He was on TVG this afternoon....I think it was the 1-5pm PT slot.

Yesterday morning, also, he was live on the phone reporting to the studio from Del Mar, where he had been watching works. About an hour the tragic death of Tuscan Evening, Nick was relaying what he had seen first hand.
Understandably, he was pretty choked up.

Good stuff, Sarge is a standup guy, a credit to the thoroughbred industry in So Cal. I wish he was on during prime time Del Mar hours, maybe he'll get back there someday, back in the limelight where he belongs.

Relwob Owner
08-09-2010, 08:45 PM
Good stuff, Sarge is a standup guy, a credit to the thoroughbred industry in So Cal. I wish he was on during prime time Del Mar hours, maybe he'll get back there someday, back in the limelight where he belongs.

I liked him before he got on air, then not so much as he tended to repeat the same phrases over and over again and was a little awkwardly overbearing....he also seems to lack chemistry with some of the others at times. The thought occurred to me that he may be getting over-coached(if that is a word) by the producers and that may have made him a little nervous...... If that is true, then I have a feeling if he just let it fly, he would come across better. I havent seen him in a bit so maybe that has changed?

andymays
08-09-2010, 08:47 PM
http://raceandsportsradio.com/listen_live_right_here

He’s on Race and Sports Radio from time to time.

Stillriledup
08-09-2010, 08:56 PM
I liked him before he got on air, then not so much as he tended to repeat the same phrases over and over again and was a little awkwardly overbearing....he also seems to lack chemistry with some of the others at times. The thought occurred to me that he may be getting over-coached(if that is a word) by the producers and that may have made him a little nervous...... If that is true, then I have a feeling if he just let it fly, he would come across better. I havent seen him in a bit so maybe that has changed?

Seems like TVG has weeded out the people who tell it like it is. Bryan Cox, Iggy Puglisi, Sarge, Frank Lyons seem to be either weeded out or phased out of the main time slots. They don't want 'loose cannons' out there, just toe the company line and you have a shot to be seen in a main prime time slot.

Relwob Owner
08-09-2010, 08:59 PM
Seems like TVG has weeded out the people who tell it like it is. Bryan Cox, Iggy Puglisi, Sarge, Frank Lyons seem to be either weeded out or phased out of the main time slots. They don't want 'loose cannons' out there, just toe the company line and you have a shot to be seen in a main prime time slot.

Good point....although, I think Lyons weeds himself out....he always is horse from a "cold" and seemed to miss shifts from time to time. Also, doesnt really come across as enjoying himself a lot fo the time IMO.

sonnyp
08-09-2010, 09:00 PM

isn't that the way it is in all jobs ? yes sir...no sir...whatever you say sir.

as far as lyons, how would you like to interact with schrupp and rudolph ??

Stillriledup
08-09-2010, 09:03 PM
isn't that the way it is in all jobs ? yes sir...no sir...whatever you say sir.

In real jobs like office work yes, but in entertainment jobs there are plenty of loose cannons with jobs. Television entertainment loves guys who 'you never know what they're going to say". Charles Barkley is a great example.

redshift1
08-09-2010, 10:36 PM
Sarge often strings together similes, tropes and idioms like:" the horse is on a roll and i've got faith in the jockey cause he can really bring em home."

Of course maintaing continual chatter as TVG requires can be very challenging for the hosts and leads to endless repetition.

macdiarmida
08-09-2010, 10:53 PM
But the guys on TVG "primetime" can't really be hated, either. Ignored, yes. The idea seems to be to have chatter that does nobody much good and doesn't entertain, either. Real safe.

As for loose cannons, they have to be "on" enough to be entertaining all the time. Controlled sugar intake during the show, maybe. Oooo, poll/contest!!!: Which one of the TVG guys do you want thrown through a window by Charles Barkley? Call now, only 99 cents a call! Or maybe all and farthest distance marks the winner?

Better to be at a table at the track where you can find pontificating bigmouths shot down in flames, inside tips, funny one-liners and the chosen few with astounding handicapping insight. We seem to have largely run out of Runyonesque characters, so I wish for them but don't expect them. But there's your model for racing TV IMO.

lamboguy
08-10-2010, 07:45 AM
Good point....although, I think Lyons weeds himself out....he always is horse from a "cold" and seemed to miss shifts from time to time. Also, doesnt really come across as enjoying himself a lot fo the time IMO.i stopped watching TVG for about 2 weeks now, on sunday we had a first time starter run that was an offspring of castledale. frank lyons had originally brought castledale here and it was one of the best horses that he was even involved in. anyway he picked our horse in the race in delmar, the horse ran a good 4th if there is a such thing and got put up to third. actually he ran pretty damn good and will probably have some type of future going longer. the horse was trained by robert leonard who i think only trains this horse. the rider of the horse rafael beyarano said he wants to ride the horse back the next time he runs, but that is usually what they all say. its a different story when another larger trainer shows up with a horse that has been training lights out and he takes his mount. i usually get non-bigname riders because i like having the same guy ride the horse that was on him his last race.

Stillriledup
08-10-2010, 11:53 AM
i stopped watching TVG for about 2 weeks now, on sunday we had a first time starter run that was an offspring of castledale. frank lyons had originally brought castledale here and it was one of the best horses that he was even involved in. anyway he picked our horse in the race in delmar, the horse ran a good 4th if there is a such thing and got put up to third. actually he ran pretty damn good and will probably have some type of future going longer. the horse was trained by robert leonard who i think only trains this horse. the rider of the horse rafael beyarano said he wants to ride the horse back the next time he runs, but that is usually what they all say. its a different story when another larger trainer shows up with a horse that has been training lights out and he takes his mount. i usually get non-bigname riders because i like having the same guy ride the horse that was on him his last race.

Every jock in thoroughbred racing and every driver in harness racing says, "nice little horse, i'd love to drive/ride him back"

onefast99
08-10-2010, 04:23 PM
Sarge often strings together similes, tropes and idioms like:" the horse is on a roll and i've got faith in the jockey cause he can really bring em home."

Of course maintaing continual chatter as TVG requires can be very challenging for the hosts and leads to endless repetition.

http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:forums.corvetteforum.com/get/images/smilies/patriot.gif

onefast99
08-10-2010, 04:25 PM
Every jock in thoroughbred racing and every driver in harness racing says, "nice little horse, i'd love to drive/ride him back"
Not to hijack the thread but once a jock has a day or two to think about it and discuss it with his agent that's when you really know if they want back on the horse.

Stillriledup
08-10-2010, 05:48 PM
Not to hijack the thread but once a jock has a day or two to think about it and discuss it with his agent that's when you really know if they want back on the horse.

Totally true.