PDA

View Full Version : Saratoga 3rd and Kent D

cj
08-08-2010, 02:32 PM
Sure looked to me like he cost his horse 2nd by not riding out to the wire. I had no bets in the race so I'm not biased on that front. Anybody see it differently?

exiles
08-08-2010, 03:33 PM
I think he's been known to do that. he did the same in the K.DERBY this year.

gemcity39
08-08-2010, 03:40 PM
he definately did not rid eto the wire, but like was posted before no breaking news on that, he does the give up alot.:bang:

Light
08-08-2010, 05:09 PM
Kent D needs to read the form. His horse was not 4/5 material the top 2 finishers were much the best closers.

Edward DeVere
08-08-2010, 09:11 PM
When you watch the slo-mo, Desormeaux is still riding and still showing the horse the whip right to the wire. It just doesn't look that way in normal time.

In both normal and slo-mo, I can't see the horse breaking stride or slowing down except for his already demonstrated deceleration.

YMMV, but Desormeaux is definitely showing the whip to the horse right to the wire.

On this topic in general, I think Desormeaux gets a bum rap 90% of the time. (I'll give you the other 10%.)

But this reputation is clearly never going to go away. Reputations usually don't. Don't think for one second, for instance, that New Yorkers are ever going to stop calling Mike Smith "Wide Mikey."

cj
08-08-2010, 09:31 PM
When you watch the slo-mo, Desormeaux is still riding and still showing the horse the whip right to the wire. It just doesn't look that way in normal time.

In both normal and slo-mo, I can't see the horse breaking stride or slowing down except for his already demonstrated deceleration.

YMMV, but Desormeaux is definitely showing the whip to the horse right to the wire.

On this topic in general, I think Desormeaux gets a bum rap 90% of the time. (I'll give you the other 10%.)

But this reputation is clearly never going to go away. Reputations usually don't. Don't think for one second, for instance, that New Yorkers are ever going to stop calling Mike Smith "Wide Mikey."

I didn't even know who the rider was when I watched. Showing the whip isn't getting the most out of a horse at that point...if anything it hurts. I good, vigorous hand ride is what he should have been doing in my opinion. Why show the whip at that point? Ride hard or crack the horse.

Edward DeVere
08-08-2010, 09:57 PM
Showing the whip isn't getting the most out of a horse at that point...if anything it hurts.

News to me. Can you reference any jockey or trainer interviews that might corroborate this opinion? I'm always eager to learn and, if true, this might be a good "bet back" angle.

cj
08-08-2010, 10:46 PM
News to me. Can you reference any jockey or trainer interviews that might corroborate this opinion? I'm always eager to learn and, if true, this might be a good "bet back" angle.

I've always thought a hand ride was the best way to get the most out of a horse at the end. If I am wrong, somebody can tell me. Whipping at that point seems a little belated to me. Showing the whip certainly isn't going to help in my opinion.

Stillriledup
08-08-2010, 10:51 PM
Kent is a bum when he does this. He doesn't care about the players, just himself.