PDA

View Full Version : Zenyatta, Breeders Cup Classic, and Exchange Betting if Allowed

Canarsie
08-08-2010, 12:46 PM
If legal wouldn't this be the one race that would produce a handle that probably would never be broken? I couldn't fathom how much would be wagered but how many people would make a stand for and against her?

Guesstimates?

DeanT
08-08-2010, 01:55 PM
I can't remember what was matched last year, but the sharpies were fading her pretty big. While 5-2 on the board, she traded between 9-2 and 5-1, and closed at around 9-2. There was some action.

Rip Van Winkle took plenty of cash (with a lot of European players).

The BC Classic future pool was just placed up a week or two ago. No action yet at the early stage but Betfair figures Zenyatta will be the favorite again this year. I can't blame them for thinking that since she is sound and is probably the most likely starter out of all the rest of the horses who seem to not be able to stay as sound as her.

If she wins the Beldame and goes for #20 in the Classic it will be the most watched non-European race ever, and probably traded as such. The buzz will be out of this world for our sport. With newbies and fans buying tickets on her, one would suspect the board odds will be suppressed by 20% or maybe more, making Betfair (and other horses on the board) must plays.

horses4courses
08-08-2010, 01:59 PM
Since exchange betting will never happen in this country, as it's a form of bookmaking, I make it about a 100-1 to be operational in NJ before November.

Getting it on board ever, has to be at least 20-1.

Making Zenyatta a 2-1 chance for the BC Classic, I figure you have a parlay there in excess of 300-1.

I'd book it..... ;)

Saratoga_Mike
08-08-2010, 02:01 PM
Since exchange betting will never happen in this country, as it's a form of bookmaking, I make it about a 100-1 to be operational in NJ before November.

Making Zenyatta a 2-1 chance for the BC Classic, I figure you have a parlay there in excess of 300-1.

I'd book it..... ;)

I'd like some action on your 20-1 prop!

horses4courses
08-08-2010, 02:03 PM
I'd like some action on your 20-1 prop!

You may as well legalize bookmaking then.
It's basically the same thing.

Saratoga_Mike
08-08-2010, 02:05 PM
You may as well legalize bookmaking then.
It's basically the same thing.

Call it what you want - if it raises revenue for tax-starved govts, then I think it has a decent shot of happening.

Charlie D
08-08-2010, 04:14 PM

I'd book it..... ;)

Betfair is a person to person betting exchange and not a bookmaker. There is a difference.

Corals, Ladbrokes, William Hill, the bookmakers lay the bets, Betfair does not do this, it's users do and charges commission on all profits

horses4courses
08-08-2010, 04:22 PM
Betfair is a person to person betting exchange and not a bookmaker. There is a difference.

Corals, Ladbrokes, William Hill, the bookmakers lay the bets, Betfair does not do this, it's users do.

Having worked in bookmaking in Ireland and Nevada for close to 20 years, I am fully aware of how both work.

With regard to the law in the U.S., the last 3 words in your statement bring about the downfall of a betting exchange ever happening here.

It's users do.......

The customers do the bookmaking between themselves, therefore it is bookmaking.

Little chance of passing in this country, I'm afraid to say.

Charlie D
08-08-2010, 04:26 PM
Then you will know that the UK bookmakers used the same argument and lost.