PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever seen this before at any track?

Igeteven
08-07-2010, 02:43 PM
six horse field, no show wagering,

I have not seen this before , this is not your standard of booking bets for the public.

Yes there are people who bet to show, I don't, however, I feel, it's unfair to the player

I talking about the big one at Del Mar

Any Comments

Hanover1
08-07-2010, 02:45 PM

I have not seen this before , this is not your stranded of booking bets for the public.

Yes there are people who bet to show, I don't, however, I feel, it's unfair to the player

Any Comments

Good way to dodge the minus pool-happens alot on harness side....

tbwinner
08-07-2010, 02:47 PM
They have every right to, but I haven't seen it much before. Arlington just cancelled show betting on their first race today (scratched down to 5-horse field) which doesn't happen much there.

Java Gold@TFT
08-07-2010, 02:54 PM
I was at Saratoga's harness track last Saturday and they canceled place and show wagering in a race with a 1-9 favorite. Like Hanover said it happens all the time in harness but the pools are also much, much smaller. BTW the 1-9 shot finished 2nd so they may very well have had a minus pool in both the place and show pools.

Hedevar
08-07-2010, 03:05 PM
From the wayback machine. In 1965 Hialeah canceled win, place and show betting making the Flamingo a no-betting race. There would have been seven betting interests and they feared a minus win pool. Buckpasser won by a nose and the race had a new name. The Chicken Flamingo.

rwwupl
08-07-2010, 03:09 PM

I have not seen this before , this is not your standard of booking bets for the public.

I talking about the big one at Del Mar

Any Comments

http://www.hollywoodpark.com/news/zenyatta-wins-thriller-over-st-trinians-in-vanity-undefeated-mare-earns-record-17th-win-in-a-row

June 13,2010
Very seldom happens... also when "Z" ran at Hollywood Park there was no show wagering.. She defeated St. Trinians in the Vanity.

Wagering menus have to be approved by the CHRB. They are saying to certain customers "no betting allowed" playing it safe.

Hanover1
08-07-2010, 03:10 PM
Straying a bit, but noteworthy....The great Niatross was barred from wagering on several occasions as was Cam Fella. No matter the size of field.

Stillriledup
08-07-2010, 03:34 PM
They should just take the bets and let the handicappers handicap the race. We dont' need the track handicapping FOR us.

Tom
08-07-2010, 06:12 PM
Straying a bit, but noteworthy....The great Niatross was barred from wagering on several occasions as was Cam Fella. No matter the size of field.

I agree - horses should not be allowed to bet.

speed
08-07-2010, 07:56 PM

You are absolutely hilarious when you go off your meds.

andymays
08-07-2010, 07:57 PM

And if they do bet they should only be able to bet on themeselves. Same rules as Trainers. :)

therussmeister
08-07-2010, 08:55 PM
Good way to dodge the minus pool-happens alot on harness side....
All they have to do to dodge the minus pool is get rid of breakage.

Hanover1
08-07-2010, 10:32 PM

The last horse barred, was in fact caught and given days......

TEJAS KIDD
08-08-2010, 10:56 AM
If they couldnt cancel show wagering on Z's race, the racetracks would lose money. If you knew you had a 99% chance of losing money wouldnt you cancel betting on that race too?
The entity taking the wagers creating minus pools have to come up with the money for the payout. So with that being said, would you book 1,000,000 to show on Zenyatta? I wouldnt. How about 4 gazillion dollars to show on Bar Jf Hot Ticket at Santa Rosa today? Whats 5% of 4 gazillion.

I think it would be unfair to the public if they cancelled show wagering after the race was run. As far as cancelling it to protect themselves, how can that be unfair to the public?

InTheRiver68
08-08-2010, 12:29 PM
Cancelling show wagers (and place, sometimes) is perfectly legitimate. It's not the track that the 1/9 is running at protecting themselves and much as they're protecting their simulcast partners, since it's the simulcast partners that eat the lion's share of the negative break.

Often, even if the host track has show wagers, some locations will opt out of the show pool because they don't want to get stuck with a $20,000 loss when someone walks in wanting to bet $100,000 on a show pool. And I don't blame them. But you don't often see that because your customers are accustomed to being able to bet in any pool that the host track is offering.

I think Meadowlands does this on a regular basis. They've got someone in the mutuel department that scans the overnights looking for a potential negative break race, and they cancel the offending pools. Can anyone confirm that? And does anyone know of any other wagering site that does this on a regular basis?

- InTheRiver68

edit: I forgot to add, I think horses should be barred from wagering, too. :rolleyes:

Java Gold@TFT
08-09-2010, 07:02 AM
I was at Saratoga the day when Niatross flipped the hub rail and was DNF after being 19 for 19 lifetime. If I remember right they had exacta only wagering on the race and the exacta blew up the tote board with Niatross out of the money. I think Music of Time won the race. It was a very freakish day as the Saratoga track maintenence did everything they could to dry out 2 days worth of rain to get a world record on a 1/2 mile oval. I still have vivd memories of Niatross flailing in the infield. Scary race.