PDA

View Full Version : Belgium

cj
08-19-2003, 10:37 PM
Curious if anyone has ever been or lived there. I just found out I am being reassigned to NATO Headquarters in Mons, Belgium, in December for 3 years, and don't know much about the country. Its a pretty rare assignment in the Air Force so not many of my co-workers know much either, but the ones who do say it will be an incredible experience.

andicap
08-20-2003, 11:42 AM
Check your private message.

SandyE
08-20-2003, 12:42 PM
What I know about Belgium is that the food is fantastic and they do have horseracing over there. Have you done a search to find information on the country? Seeing on how I'm bored I could do a search for you. One thing else for which you probably already know it's a german speaking country, and also refer to their country as the father land. Their chocolate is awesome, and yes I've had some because of a friend's father spent time there years ago. Hopefully you'll have access to the internet over there and post here to say hello and how's the racing like. :cool:

SandyE
08-20-2003, 12:46 PM
I found this on MSN site and hopefully you'll find it usefull information. Let me go find information on the racecourses there.
Encyclopedia Article from Encarta

Advertisement
Belgium

Multimedia

13 items
Dynamic Map

View map of Belgium

Article Outline
Introduction; Land and Resources; Population; Economy; Government; History

I Introduction
print section

Belgium (French Belgique; Dutch België), constitutional monarchy in northwestern Europe, bounded on the north by The Netherlands and the North Sea, on the east by Germany and Luxembourg, and on the south and southwest by France. With The Netherlands and Luxembourg, Belgium forms the Low, or Benelux, Countries. It is about 280 km (about 175 mi) long, measured in a southeast-northwest direction, about 145 km (about 90 mi) wide, and is roughly triangular in shape. The area is 30,528 sq km (11,787 sq mi). The capital and largest city is Brussels.

II Land and Resources
print section

Belgium has three main physiographic regions: the coastal plain, the central plateau, and the Ardennes highlands.

The coastal plain extends inland 16 to 48 km (10 to 30 mi) on the northwest. Along the North Sea is a low-lying area consisting mainly of sand dunes and polders. The polders, sections of land reclaimed from the sea and protected by dikes, were developed between the 13th and 15th centuries. Lying inland is a flat pastureland drained by canals. The coastal plain’s elevation ranges from sea level to about 20 m (65 ft).

The central plateau is a gently rolling, slightly elevated area, irrigated by many waterways and containing a number of wide, fertile valleys with a rich, alluvial soil. Caves, grottoes, and ravines are found in parts of this area.

Continue reading article

Advertisement

Alpine Embroidered Velvet Skirt
$36.00
JCPenney
more like this...

Advertisement

The Da Vinci Code

Dan Brown

Browse for other great books

The Ardennes highlands, a densely wooded plateau averaging 460 m (1,500 ft) in elevation, extends across southeastern Belgium and into northeastern France. Located here is Botrange, the highest peak in Belgium, with an elevation of 694 m (2,277 ft). The area is generally rocky and poorly suited to agriculture.

A Rivers

The chief rivers are the Schelde (Escaut) and the Meuse. Both rise in France and are for the most part navigable throughout Belgium. On the Schelde, the principal waterway of Belgium, are the ports of Antwerp, Brussels, and Ghent. The chief tributaries of the Schelde are the Lys, Dendre, Senne, and Rupel rivers. The Sambre and Ourthe rivers are the main tributaries of the Meuse.

B Climate

The climate near the sea is humid and mild. Farther inland, away from the moderating maritime influences, a marked increase in the range of temperature occurs. In the Ardennes highlands hot summers alternate with cold winters. Heavy rains are confined almost exclusively to the highlands. Fog and drizzle are common, and April and November are particularly rainy months. In Brussels, located at the center of the nation, the average temperatures range from 0° to 5°C (32° to 41°F) in January and from 13° to 22°C (55° to 72°F) in July. In Oostende, on the coast, the average range is 1° to 5°C (34° to 42°F) in January and 14° to 20°C (56° to 69°F) in July. Rainfall in Brussels is uniformly spread throughout the year, with a yearly average of 820 mm (32 in); annual precipitation in Oostende averages 580 mm (23 in).

C Natural Resources

The natural resources of Belgium are almost entirely mineral. Coal was mined in abundance for many years, but most accessible supplies have been exhausted and many mines have closed since the late 1950s. Deposits of zinc, lead, copper, and manganese are also exploited but are of little commercial significance; some natural gas is also extracted.

D Plants and Animals

Small animals, primarily fox, badger, pheasant, squirrel, weasel, marten, and hedgehog, are found in Belgium. Deer and wild boar are present in the Ardennes highlands. Abundant plants include the hyacinth, strawberry, goldenrod, periwinkle, foxglove, wild arum, and lily of the valley. Forest trees include oak, beech, elm, and stands of pine that have been planted as part of reforestation programs.

E Environmental Issues

Belgium is heavily industrialized and experiences many of the environmental problems common to other industrialized nations. The country is a significant producer of greenhouse gases and industrial emissions that cause acid rain. Belgium’s air quality has improved, however, and industrial emissions have steadily decreased since the United Nations (UN) Economic Commission for Europe (ECE) Sulphur Protocols were implemented, beginning in the 1970s.

European Union (EU) directives expected to improve Belgium’s environmental conditions concern water treatment and water quality, both significant issues in such an industrial center. Before these directives were issued, the Meuse River, a major source of drinking water, had become polluted from steel production wastes. Other rivers were polluted with animal wastes and fertilizers. In 1995 the Flemish regional environmental minister attempted to restrict the widespread agricultural use of dung. His efforts were initially thwarted by a strong agricultural lobby, but the legislation has since passed.

Some areas of Belgium’s coastal lands were reclaimed and developed from the 13th to the 15th century. With only concrete dikes separating them from the sea, these lands are especially threatened by flooding.

Only 2.6 percent (1997) of Belgium’s land is protected in parks and other reserves. This is a small amount when compared with neighboring countries such as France (11.7 percent), The Netherlands (6.7 percent), and Germany (27 percent).

Belgium is party to international agreements concerning air and water pollution, biodiversity, ozone layer protection and climate control, endangered species, hazardous wastes, and wetlands.

III Population
print section
Advertisement
The people of Belgium are primarily of two ethnic groups, the Flemings (Teutonic origin) and the Walloons (Celtic origin, probably with an admixture of Alpine elements). The most distinguishing characteristic of these two groups is language. The Flemings speak Dutch (often referred to by its historic regional name, Flemish; see Flemish Language), and the Walloons speak French. The predominantly Flemish provinces are in the northern half of Belgium, called Flanders (Flemish Region), and the predominantly Walloon provinces are in the southern half, called Wallonia. The capital of Brussels, an enclave within the Flanders region, is mixed. In 1993 these three ethnolinguistic areas became official federal regions.

A Population Characteristics

The population of Belgium is 10,289,088 (2003 estimate). Nearly 60 percent live in the Flanders region. The overall population density, one of the highest in Europe, is 337 persons per sq km (873 per sq mi). The largest concentrations were in the Brussels, Antwerp, Liège, and Ghent (Gent) industrial areas, as well as in the narrow industrial region between Mons and Charleroi. In recent decades the Limbourg city region has increased in population because of industrial expansion in that area. Almost 10 percent of all Belgians live in Brussels, which is also home to vast numbers of foreign guest workers. Some 97 percent of the population is classified as urban.

Page 1 of 5

JustRalph
08-20-2003, 12:49 PM
I had orders there in 84-85. I was called in and told that I would be required to be "spit and polish" to the tenth degree. I was a cop who would be working security there. They issued me new uniforms and equipment about a month before I was to leave. Then I got caught up investigating a big drug case on base ( I worked part time investigations) and my orders were canceled due to having to testify in a couple of court martials. I got a ton of pamplets on the assignment. Lots of stuff about how to deal with Foreign officers and speaking diff. languages etc. High profile place they told me. Seemed to be a bunch of info on the great vacations available in the area.

You job is much different, and it has been 20 years ( Pres.Reagan had just deployed the GLCM missiles on the train cars) but many senior NCO's called me in to tell me that it would be the best assignment, and the most important of my career. Then I didn't go....it was kind of a bummer.

It sounds like you were selected for a reason. I was told people get recommended for these assignments by commmanders, not randomly chosen. That might have been sunshine they were pumping up my you know what. But, it will probably be a good assignment. Congrats.

I did get to keep all the new gear for the next few years before I got out in 87.

SandyE
08-20-2003, 01:01 PM
I went to one of my favorites and there is a link to a site from there. Hopefully CJ can understand the language because I don't see any information there written in english.
http://www.turf-be.com/galop/ontvangstgalop.htm
hopefully link will work. If not go to
http://www.jockeysroom.com
once there go to Jockeys A-Z then Belguim, There's a link on the top of that page. But I'm thinking of going to About.com to see if theirs has a link to a belguim based site that has english.

Suff
08-21-2003, 04:38 AM
I was stationed at Camp New Amsterdam in Ziest, Holland for two years. Just a short jump to Belgium.

I was in Brussels for thier 1000th Birthday in 1979 I believe. I remeber thinking..."we just celebrated being 200 years old" (1976) ...200's a baby next to these cities.

Belgium is beautiful.

Travel wise...Being in Belgium is like being in the Northeast in some respects...

A couple of hours drive in any direction puts you in another country.

Belgium is a great Staging area to see all of Europe.

Other than Family concerns..its a great move....

I don't think they send just anyone to NATO HQ. Congratulations.

See you in a few days. Got some "red-light district" stories I can share with you from Germany and Holland...

SandyE
08-21-2003, 11:24 AM
Oops sorry 'bout the mix up on your name.
Sufferin? you've given me yet another idea for a travel/vacaton designation. Belguim sounds like if your a Jockey a perfect location to be based from and ride else where.

cj
08-21-2003, 01:01 PM
I really appreciate all the info and concern from everyone!