PDA

View Full Version : A Win Could Create One Of The Most Awkward Trophy Presentations Ever!

andymays
08-06-2010, 07:48 AM
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/aug/05/rival-owners-eagerly-await-zenyatta/

Excerpt:

Del Mar — Why would an owner choose to run his mare against unbeaten, and many would say unbelievable, Zenyatta?

Excerpt:

“I don’t think Zenyatta is going to run in the race,” said Jerry Jamgotchian, whose colors will be carried by the 5-year-old Rinterval, trained by Eric Reed and to be ridden by Rafael Bejarano. “That makes it a good opportunity for Rinterval to win a Grade I race, and it’s a good opportunity for me to see my horse run.

“I don’t think (Zenyatta) is going to run, and the reason is the inconsistencies in the Polytrack (surface at Del Mar) . If she was my horse I wouldn’t run her.”

Excerpt:

A win by Rinterval could create one of the most awkward trophy presentation moments since the 1981 Super Bowl , when NFL Commissioner Pete Rozelle had to hand the Lombardi Trophy to his courtroom rival, Al Davis, after the Raiders’ victory.

DMTC CEO Joe Harper and President and General Manager Craig Fravel are frequent targets of Jamgotchian’s e-mail blasts.

“I don’t agree with a lot of the stuff they do , (but) I do agree with some,” Jamgotchian said. “But it’s their racetrack, and until somebody says differently they can do what they want.

“If I’m fortunate enough to win the race, I’m sure it will be quite a scene in the winner’s circle.”

andymays
08-06-2010, 07:52 AM
As someone on the email list I can tell you first hand that there is no love lost between those guys.

carlonr
08-06-2010, 11:04 AM
As someone on the email list I can tell you first hand that there is no love lost between those guys.

Just thought I would post something from the exact same article.

San Diegan Sean Turner is co-owner of Made for Magic, a 5-year-old mare with eight wins in 35 career starts. Made for Magic, trained by A.C. Avila and to be ridden by Omar Berrio, lost to Zenyatta and Rachel Alexandra in a span of five races from March to June.

Zenyatta beat her by 6 1/4 lengths in the Santa Margarita Handicap in March at Santa Anita, and 2009 Horse of the Year Rachel Alexandra trounced her by 20 3/4 lengths in the Fleur de Lis Handicap on June 12 at Churchill Downs.

“We never anticipate or plan based on who we might be running against,” Turner said Thursday after watching Zenyatta school in the Del Mar paddock. “We entered knowing that there was a chance that Zenyatta wouldn’t run (in the Hirsch), but I’m excited to see Zenyatta run any day and it would be an honor to run second to her.”

With Made for Magic having raced against Zenyatta and Rachel Alexandra, Turner is in a position to assess the two runners that racing fans dream about seeing in a faceoff.

“I have a very strong opinion on (who’s better),” Turner said. “I think Zenyatta is one of the best racehorses I’ve ever seen or ever will see.

“I’m a dreamer by nature, and I’ve had friends say, ‘Wouldn’t it be amazing …’ and I stop them right there. It’s horse racing, and anything can happen, but this (upsetting Zenyatta) is not going to happen.
“We’re all strictly running for second.”

horses4courses
08-06-2010, 11:17 AM
So, this owner entered his mare in the Clement Hirsch because he thought Z would scratch?

If Z was his, he wouldn't run because of an inconsistent, dangerous track?

However, he is willing to run his own mare over that same track.

He must have a heart of gold......geesh!

carlonr
08-06-2010, 11:29 AM
So, this owner entered his mare in the Clement Hirsch because he thought Z would scratch?

If Z was his, he wouldn't run because of an inconsistent, dangerous track?

However, he is willing to run his own mare over that same track.

He must have a heart of gold......geesh!

Some peoples minds become so convoluted because of their intense dislike for synthetic surfaces that at times they really don't realize what they are saying. For instance, there are people that constantly say that synthetics slow horses down, but still can't see that Zenyatta runs better on dirt! (as both her trainer and jockey have stated many times!) Personally, I enjoy it because it adds more betting value when top California horses ship back east to run on dirt. The "synthetic to dirt" angle is one of the most overlooked angles in horse racing today.

JustRalph
08-06-2010, 03:03 PM
but I’m excited to see Zenyatta run any day and it would be an honor to run second to her.”[/B]

This kind of crap pisses me off. This is why we have shitty races.

"We are running for second" give me a break

Stillriledup
08-06-2010, 03:15 PM
DMR's track man has made this surface into something that has created essentially 1 furlong races. Whoever gets the lead wins, regardless of anything. How about that 25-1 shot who won race 6 yesterday, Can't find too many worse looking horses on paper, this piece got the lead and hung on paying 50 bucks....if that horse can win, anything is possible.

Some of these races recently are over in the first few jumps. Even the 2nd race yesterday we had another horrible looking (on paper) horse get the lead and hold a strong 2nd while only getting run down in the final few yards.

Z will be far back turning for home, its hard to make up any kind of real ground at this place, if Z is ever going to get beat, its now, on this track the way its been playing is not going to help her at all. She can win becuase she always finds ways to overcome the most insurmountable odds, but if she does lose, the track will be the reason. AND, get this, it won't be sour grapes. They would be silly to run here and if they lose, they can say "the track bias beat us" i'm saying it now, BEFORE The race, so, it won't be redboarding.

If Z gets beat, its because the track got her beat, no other reason.

kenwoodall2
08-06-2010, 03:26 PM
DMR's track man has made this surface into something that has created essentially 1 furlong races. Whoever gets the lead wins, regardless of anything. How about that 25-1 shot who won race 6 yesterday, Can't find too many worse looking horses on paper, this piece got the lead and hung on paying 50 bucks....if that horse can win, anything is possible.

Some of these races recently are over in the first few jumps. Even the 2nd race yesterday we had another horrible looking (on paper) horse get the lead and hold a strong 2nd while only getting run down in the final few yards.

Z will be far back turning for home, its hard to make up any kind of real ground at this place, if Z is ever going to get beat, its now, on this track the way its been playing is not going to help her at all. She can win becuase she always finds ways to overcome the most insurmountable odds, but if she does lose, the track will be the reason. AND, get this, it won't be sour grapes. They would be silly to run here and if they lose, they can say "the track bias beat us" i'm saying it now, BEFORE The race, so, it won't be redboarding.

If Z gets beat, its because the track got her beat, no other reason.
"6.0fDirt 23 57% E Outside" (meet) So anyone can boycott if you want, I will bet early speed! Thank you DM for the old skool concrete highway!!

jamey1977
08-07-2010, 03:17 AM
Just thought I would post something from the exact same article.

San Diegan Sean Turner is co-owner of Made for Magic, a 5-year-old mare with eight wins in 35 career starts. Made for Magic, trained by A.C. Avila and to be ridden by Omar Berrio, lost to Zenyatta and Rachel Alexandra in a span of five races from March to June.

Zenyatta beat her by 6 1/4 lengths in the Santa Margarita Handicap in March at Santa Anita, and 2009 Horse of the Year Rachel Alexandra trounced her by 20 3/4 lengths in the Fleur de Lis Handicap on June 12 at Churchill Downs.

“We never anticipate or plan based on who we might be running against,” Turner said Thursday after watching Zenyatta school in the Del Mar paddock. “We entered knowing that there was a chance that Zenyatta wouldn’t run (in the Hirsch), but I’m excited to see Zenyatta run any day and it would be an honor to run second to her.”

With Made for Magic having raced against Zenyatta and Rachel Alexandra, Turner is in a position to assess the two runners that racing fans dream about seeing in a faceoff.

“I have a very strong opinion on (who’s better),” Turner said. “I think Zenyatta is one of the best racehorses I’ve ever seen or ever will see.

“I’m a dreamer by nature, and I’ve had friends say, ‘Wouldn’t it be amazing …’ and I stop them right there. It’s horse racing, and anything can happen, but this (upsetting Zenyatta) is not going to happen.
“We’re all strictly running for second.”
During the Santa Anita and Hollywood meets. Made For Magic upset two big named horses and got me some great prices. 24.60 and 18.80. Healthy wins. They said the same thing about "Dare And Go ", too. I don't like that Del Mar track. I don't like that place. I hope they don't run Zenyatta tomorrow. This meet is screwed up. Tyler Baze and Joe Talamo are gone. 6 Horses are dead. I don't like that place.

Stillriledup
08-07-2010, 03:47 AM
During the Santa Anita and Hollywood meets. Made For Magic upset two big named horses and got me some great prices. 24.60 and 18.80. Healthy wins. They said the same thing about "Dare And Go ", too. I don't like that Del Mar track. I don't like that place. I hope they don't run Zenyatta tomorrow. This meet is screwed up. Tyler Baze and Joe Talamo are gone. 6 Horses are dead. I don't like that place.

They lost a few horseplayers forever yesterday in the first race with that criminal DQ.

Maybe they can jack up the takeout 2 points and that will get those players who've left to come back.

joanied
08-07-2010, 04:09 PM
This kind of crap pisses me off. This is why we have shitty races.

"We are running for second" give me a break

Right.