PDA

View Full Version : Table games helps horse racing at W.Va. track

takeout
08-05-2010, 08:58 PM
Yeah, right. That on-track mutuel pool of slightly over 40K last night was amazing. :rolleyes:

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9HDD3CG0.htm

[snip]
He says the location of the poker tables has a lot to do with the increase. The tables are in the grandstand area and players sitting at the tables or waiting to get a seat have access to live racing.
[snip]

What he failed to mention is that the horseplayers up there now no longer have access to a bathroom, a snack bar, and 2/5ths of their own grandstand "outside" besides losing almost all of the "inside" to the poker tables. Talk about spin! The damn place is now a train wreck upstairs for horseplayers. :bang:

my_nameaintearl
08-05-2010, 10:00 PM
Same setup at Harrahs Chester

Robert Goren
08-05-2010, 10:21 PM
I pretty sure that that trying to play poker live and betting horses at the same time is a bad idea. I don't think it will take the poker players very long to figure that out. That being said, there have been a few good poker players who have weakness for craps and regularly lose their poker winning at the craps table. I suppose the same thing could happen with horse racing being the beneficiary, but I doubt there are going to be that many to really make a difference.

JustRalph
08-06-2010, 02:18 AM
The wife and I just returned from Charlestown. Nice facility.

The table games were rocking. $50 dollar minimum per hand at the blackjack tables........Lots of people playing roulette? Which I thought was a little odd. 4 dollars to valet park and no admission otherwise. The Buffet was pretty decent.

Won a couple....lost a couple........but a nice little picnic table right in front of the finish line was very nice, the weather cooled down and we had a very nice time. Didn't throw lots of money at them. Good company (BillW and His Brother and his brothers wife) and good weather made for a nice night.

Actually left about 50 bucks ahead and that will help pay the Speeding Ticket I got in Harper's Ferry WV on the way home. They had a nice little speed trap set up on the main drag after the races. 60 in a 45 coming down a nice long hill.......... they were waiting on a side street at the bottom of the hill. It didn't dampen the night at all and my wife laughed at me pretty good. First Ticket I have received in almost 30 years............

takeout
08-06-2010, 04:58 AM
I hope you visited the grandstand while you were there and said hi to one ticket seller that is left. ;)

bitter
08-06-2010, 07:50 AM

The table games were rocking. $50 dollar minimum per hand at the blackjack tables........Lots of people playing roulette? Which I thought was a little odd. 4 dollars to valet park and no admission otherwise. The Buffet was pretty decent.

Won a couple....lost a couple........but a nice little picnic table right in front of the finish line was very nice, the weather cooled down and we had a very nice time. Didn't throw lots of money at them. Good company (BillW and His Brother and his brothers wife) and good weather made for a nice night.

Actually left about 50 bucks ahead and that will help pay the Speeding Ticket I got in Harper's Ferry WV on the way home. They had a nice little speed trap set up on the main drag after the races. 60 in a 45 coming down a nice long hill.......... they were waiting on a side street at the bottom of the hill. It didn't dampen the night at all and my wife laughed at me pretty good. First Ticket I have received in almost 30 years............

as soon as it goes from 2 lanes to 1, might as well start pumping your breaks (a little late, sorry), cops have been known to sit at the bottom of the hill before the bridge for years.

glad you had a good time

BillW
08-06-2010, 08:05 AM

I damn near hit that cop ... he was pulled over in the middle of the road!

therussmeister
08-06-2010, 12:35 PM
I pretty sure that that trying to play poker live and betting horses at the same time is a bad idea. I don't think it will take the poker players very long to figure that out.
Canterbury has had a poker room for ten years now, there are still people that play poker and bet horses at the same time.

MattB62
08-06-2010, 01:27 PM
Is there no free parking at CT for the races?

JustRalph
08-06-2010, 02:56 PM
Yep, I got it just at the start of the bridge. I stopped on the bridge.

Just got off the phone with them..........$125 for the pleasure

takeout
08-06-2010, 03:54 PM
I damn near hit that cop ... he was pulled over in the middle of the road!Someone probably will hit him sooner or later. And he’ll deserve it too. Putting a speed trap at the bottom of a steep hill is lower than whale poop. :mad:

takeout
08-06-2010, 04:17 PM
Is there no free parking at CT for the races?Yes but you usually have to park in one of the garages. For some reason, still unknown to me, they continue to close down the outside lot RIGHT NEXT to the track. Makes one wonder why they paved it in the first place and drew parking spaces on it. ??

proximity
08-06-2010, 06:10 PM
*exiting west, don't speed until you get to 81. and if you stop at divas, only take a very small fraction of your bankroll. ;)

*exiting east, don't speed until you cross into maryland. and then watch out for the blair witch!!

*unless your vehicle is over 6'10" tall, you can park for free in the west garage.

*hopefully the blackjack limits will go down over time as they get more dealers licensed.

takeout
08-09-2010, 05:21 PM
They've ruined the grandstand for horseplayers. The poker players have access to drinks and a bathroom. The horseplayers now have access to neither. We have to go all the way downstairs now for either. I was up there yesterday and heard two more horseplayers say the hell with it and leave in mid card. I imagine General Manager Al Britton would view that as mission accomplished.

What I don’t understand is why don’t they just close the whole grandstand down to horseplayers? Too obvious maybe? Certainly not much more-so than the crap they’re pulling now.

Saratoga_Mike
08-09-2010, 05:59 PM
They've ruined the grandstand for horseplayers. The poker players have access to drinks and a bathroom. The horseplayers now have access to neither. We have to go all the way downstairs now for either. I was up there yesterday and heard two more horseplayers say the hell with it and leave in mid card. I imagine General Manager Al Britton would view that as mission accomplished.

What I don’t understand is why don’t they just close the whole grandstand down to horseplayers? Too obvious maybe? Certainly not much more-so than the crap they’re pulling now.

I haven't been to CT since they added table games. Are just the poker tables located in the grandstand area? Do you happen to have a picture? Thanks.

takeout
08-09-2010, 07:09 PM
Yes, just the poker tables. I don’t have a picture but the place looks awfully dark to me. All of the other type tables are way over on the slot side where they ought to be. I can see no reason for putting the poker tables where they are except to run off what’s left of the horseplayers. And they’re doing a bang up job of that. They took the whole inside of the grandstand plus the bathroom. Now to get to a live teller horseplayers coming back in from the grandstand get “funneled” over to what’s left of the betting windows and then dead-ended in a wedge so as not to infringe on the poker area. Pretty bizarre. Must be seen in person to be fully “appreciated”. :rolleyes:

ronsmac
08-09-2010, 10:09 PM
I used to go to charles town 20 yrs ago, and they were ticketing people in that same place back then.

JustRalph
08-09-2010, 10:12 PM
I used to go to charles town 20 yrs ago, and they were ticketing people in that same place back then.

Well, I am glad I was part of a great tradition!! :lol:

Btw, if you aren't completely mobile, like me......... it is one hell of a walk from the valet parking to the race track. I am guessing a couple of furlongs......

I sat at the bar just outside the entrance to the track portion with the wife for a few minutes. The very attractive young girl working the bar was talking "horses" with some of the patrons and working the bar pretty hard. She struck up a conversation with the wife after the wife complemented her work. My wife runs a huge bar area, always watching what others do. The girl confided to the wife while they were talking, that she takes home 1000=1200 a week in tips........