PDA

View Full Version : Warning about iPhone security

highnote
08-05-2010, 08:26 PM
I did some work today with the general manager of computer security for a major technology company.

He said that the keyboard registry is saved on the iPhone for 100 days and that half the free apps for the iPhone attempt to read the keyboard registry and steal data such credit card info, bank account numbers and passwords. He said the iPad security is even worse.

We had a fascinating discussion about state sponsored internet hacking and hacking by large criminal organizations and cyber warfare.

It's scary stuff and makes me wonder if the people running security at my online bank, for example, are as sophisticated as some of the hackers.

Robert Goren
08-05-2010, 10:32 PM
Security on all things Apple is bad. They are counting on hackers not going after them because there is not enough of their product out there to make it worthwhile for hackers. Iphones and Ipads may change that. I know that the Apple lovers are going to be over me, but it is true.

PaceAdvantage
08-06-2010, 12:01 AM
He said that the keyboard registry is saved on the iPhone for 100 days and that half the free apps for the iPhone attempt to read the keyboard registry and steal data such credit card info, bank account numbers and passwords. He said the iPad security is even worse.I know I shouldn't, but I do have a hard time believing that the iPhone/iPad are nothing more than giant keystroke loggers in disguise...

chickenhead
08-06-2010, 12:12 AM
Apple iOS does employ a keyboard cache that saves all keystrokes -- it has to do with their spelling suggest functionality iirc.

I don't think Apps get to read it, though I could be wrong.

JustRalph
08-06-2010, 02:06 AM
They caught two bank apps that were reading it and both were immediately tossed out of the app store and apple sent out emails. The program worked on the IPHONE and IPAD. I don't do any banking on my phone or IPAD

The phone I have is android and the apps are not "curated" and scare the hell out of me..... I am very choosy about the ones I use. I hardly have anything except the stock apps on my EVO

highnote
08-06-2010, 12:19 PM
I know I shouldn't, but I do have a hard time believing that the iPhone/iPad are nothing more than giant keystroke loggers in disguise...

I tend to be skeptical, also, but when the GM of a technology security division of a major U.S. corporation says there is a problem with iPhone security I have to take it seriously. It is this GM's job to know where security threats exist. He sounded credible.

I would never do online banking over the internet with any cell phone.

They caught two bank apps that were reading it and both were immediately tossed out of the app store and apple sent out emails. The program worked on the IPHONE and IPAD.

The GM said half the free apps try read the keyboard registry. If two bank apps were found and tossed out of the app store, I think it is very likely more exist. It is probably even more likely that there is a large number of unauthorized iPhone apps reading the keyboard registry.