PDA

View Full Version : Hitchens: Topic of Cancer

chickenhead
08-05-2010, 01:51 AM
Chris Hitchens, who has almost assuredly both pissed off and delighted just about anyone by turns, on his latest experience, cancer.

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2010/09/hitchens-201009

The notorious stage theory of Elisabeth Kübler-Ross, whereby one progresses from denial to rage through bargaining to depression and the eventual bliss of “acceptance,” hasn’t so far had much application in my case. In one way, I suppose, I have been “in denial” for some time, knowingly burning the candle at both ends and finding that it often gives a lovely light. But for precisely that reason, I can’t see myself smiting my brow with shock or hear myself whining about how it’s all so unfair: I have been taunting the Reaper into taking a free scythe in my direction and have now succumbed to something so predictable and banal that it bores even me. Rage would be beside the point for the same reason. Instead, I am badly oppressed by a gnawing sense of waste.

GameTheory
08-05-2010, 02:18 AM
Chris Hitchens, who has almost assuredly both pissed off and delighted just about anyone by turns, on his latest experience, cancer.

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2010/09/hitchens-201009Sounds like still in denial, by the quote.

chickenhead
08-05-2010, 02:34 AM
probably, I'd guess denial and acceptance are the only two halfway comfortable states.

bigmack
08-05-2010, 02:48 AM
I rememba shortly after my Ma was diagnosed with Alz we'd go and have bagels & tea togetha and I'd ax her if she ever gave much thought to death or worried about it. No, she said, and I agreed.

Some folk think about death and it made me think if I were to get news of a terminal condition... Can't say I'd spend much time wondering 'why me?'./

Hitchens has always seemed like a clever cat.

If zilly has issues with him will he speak of karma?

DJofSD
08-05-2010, 09:06 AM
Against me is the blind, emotionless alien, cheered on by some who have long wished me ill. But on the side of my continued life is a group of brilliant and selfless physicians plus an astonishing number of prayer groups. On both of these I hope to write next time if—as my father invariably said—I am spared.

For whatever reason, humans frame things as binary: good v. evil, better v. worse, light v. dark. And God v. Devil. In that he views his continued existance as a battle against a blind, emotionless alien, how can he continue to deny there is another not so blind, not so emotionless alien that is offering him a continue existance?

JustRalph
11-06-2010, 11:16 PM
The guy is an enigma. At least sometimes.

Check out the latest. I really feel for this guy. This is an interesting topic. Having nursed my Dad through his last days....... it touches me a little. He makes some good points here.........Cancer Etiquette

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2010/12/hitchens-201012

NJ Stinks
11-07-2010, 01:55 AM
I agree, Ralph. Thanks for the read.

JustRalph
11-07-2010, 01:21 AM
I agree, Ralph. Thanks for the read.

common ground............ I like it........... :ThmbUp: