PDA

View Full Version : A-Rod hits 600

Trotman
08-04-2010, 06:45 PM
Did he do it with juice? or all talent, what's your take on it?

Overlay
08-04-2010, 07:05 PM
Juice or not, he's the youngest player to reach that milestone.

Mike at A+
08-04-2010, 08:33 PM
Babe Ruth did it on beer and hot dogs.

PaceAdvantage
08-04-2010, 08:57 PM
Babe Ruth did it on beer and hot dogs.And Lord knows what ingredients they were puttin' in beer and hot dogs back in the day...hell, they used to make Coke with actual cocaine...did they not? :lol:

cj's dad
08-04-2010, 09:05 PM
My childhood hero - The "Mick" - God bless #7

Saw the Mick play numerous times - best I've ever seen,. just nudging out Frank Robinson, Brooks Robinson, Ted Williams, & Jim Palmer.

Baseball talent is so diluted now that we may never see their likes again !!

Trotman
08-04-2010, 10:35 PM
cj's dad damned straight # :7: The Mick saw him play many times, what an all around ball player he was my favorite as well. My prize posession is his rookie card locked away.

Vinnie
08-04-2010, 10:36 PM

Saw the Mick play numerous times - best I've ever seen,. just nudging out Frank Robinson, Brooks Robinson, Ted Williams, & Jim Palmer.

What an incredible legend #7 was. To this day my father insists that in his prime he (the Mick) was the fastest man that he ever saw play the game of baseball. And, the guy was a unit. Unbelievable!! Ridiculous power from both sides of the plate and yet he could drop a bunt in the blink of an eye and be gone.. You are so right Cj's dad, #7 was truly one of a kind and definitely one for the ages. :)

Trotman
08-04-2010, 10:56 PM
Vinnie your Dad was right. Then the fateful accident tearing up the leg. It was sad to see him try so hard and
see he had lost so much. Now days the players are all about themselves as with other sports.

JustRalph
08-04-2010, 11:00 PM
and he did it with Knees that would cause a retirement today :ThmbUp:

Vinnie
08-04-2010, 11:18 PM
Vinnie your Dad was right. Then the fateful accident tearing up the leg. It was sad to see him try so hard and
see he had lost so much. Now days the players are all about themselves as with other sports.

You have his rookie card?! :cool: That is unreal! What I would give to have gotten the chance to have seen him play. Sadly, Mickey was done playing long before I would have ever gotten that chance. I am truly envious of you Trotman.. :)

highnote
08-04-2010, 11:38 PM
I'll be impressed with A-Rod when he passes Sadaharu Oh -- the Japanese home run record holder with 868... not that 600 is anything to balk at. :D

kenwoodall2
08-05-2010, 12:06 AM
I saw Mays hit 600(TV), sure he could not not get to 756 or 716- but A-Rod has a real record shot! GO!

Alacrity
08-05-2010, 12:46 AM
It means nothing now.

NJ Stinks
08-05-2010, 01:13 AM
I saw Mays hit 600(TV), sure he could not not get to 756 or 716- but A-Rod has a real record shot! GO!

It's about time somebody mentioned Willie Mays in this thread.

As for A Rod, I couldn't care less.

Vinnie
08-05-2010, 02:07 AM
You're right NJ Stinks:

Willie Mays was a devastating player. I think he hit 660 when they were for Real home runs. We are never going to truly know how many of A-Roids homers were steroid induced?? I don't care if he hits 900. They mean absolutely nothing as far as I am concerned. And that is coming from a Yankee fan.

Beside Willie Mays and of course Ruth and Henry Aaron, I don't consider anyone else to have ever hit at least 600 home runs in their career. :(

I have to correct myself, I believe that Griffey Jr. was the only one that I didn't include on that list because I truly believe that he accomplished what he did without the use of performance enhancing drugs.

KingChas
08-05-2010, 02:27 AM

Saw the Mick play numerous times - best I've ever seen!

I will never forget one of his final quotes.
He died at 63yrs old.
His father died at 39.

Mick said,"If I knew I was gonna live this long I would of taken better care of myself."

I can relate to that.

Johnny V
08-05-2010, 12:53 PM
Mantle was always special to me. He was part of my youth and I saw him play many times in Yankee stadium. I think he generated more excitement than any player of his day and I saw him do some great things. For me it will always be Willie, Mickey and the Duke.

Marshall Bennett
08-05-2010, 03:05 PM
Mantle hit some of the longest homeruns recorded .

Trotman
08-05-2010, 06:32 PM
To all of you who saw the Mick as I did too, no one can ever challenge us with regards to the greatest, it's ingrained into our minds and we saw what we saw
"PERFECTION" :ThmbUp:

only11
08-05-2010, 08:33 PM

Mickey wasnt as good as Bonds or Griffey jr

cj's dad
08-05-2010, 08:33 PM
My father was a huge baseball fan - he took me to Griffith Park (Stadium ?) when I was really young and the "Mick" hit one in the upper deck that was +500' - My God he was a great player !!!!!

cj's dad
08-05-2010, 08:36 PM
Mickey wasnt as good as Bonds or Griffey jr

It's all subjective !!

Trotman
08-05-2010, 08:42 PM
Only 11 we saw what we saw perfection and greatness,
Bonds and Griffey Jr. IMO they couldn't carry the Mick's bat.

only11
08-05-2010, 08:58 PM
Only 11 we saw what we saw perfection and greatness,
Bonds and Griffey Jr. IMO they couldn't carry the Mick's bat.
You cant be serious..

Trotman
08-05-2010, 09:09 PM
Serious with a capital S,did you ever see Mantle in his prime play he was the total package.

only11
08-05-2010, 09:35 PM
Serious with a capital S,did you ever see Mantle in his prime play he was the total package.
nope never saw mantle play heard from many who saw him,but bonds and jr..faced middle relief specialty pitchers,advanced scouting reports,both did what mantle did and then some..
Bonds 1 year swung and miss only 26 times if he had gotten pitch too he wouldve hit 800 hrs...
griffey if not for injury was the greatest...

Trotman
08-05-2010, 10:26 PM
only11 this is going no where believe what you want the game today is but a ghost of what it was had you saw the Mick play I think you would change your mind.

PaceAdvantage
08-06-2010, 04:24 AM
Always remember that testosterone was first synthesized in the 1930s and first introduced into sports in the 1940s and 1950s.

US pharma developed anabolic steroids in 1958.

Keep these facts in mind when you keep repeating how this is all some sort of present day phenomenon and how A-Rod is one of the few tainted record holders.

:rolleyes:

Trotman
08-06-2010, 07:22 AM
PA point taken, after reading your post I looked at a few pictures of players in Mantle's era along side of pictures of Bonds, A-Rod, Maguire, Sosa and a few others including the
poster boy Canseco. A number of the pictures of Mantle and Maris, Robinson, Mays we're pictures in the dressing rooms and their physical appearance compared to the modern day players looked like the skinny guy in the Charles Atlas ad's while other players from that era just looked plain out of shape. Not saying this proves anything
though.

OTM Al
08-06-2010, 10:57 AM
PA point taken, after reading your post I looked at a few pictures of players in Mantle's era along side of pictures of Bonds, A-Rod, Maguire, Sosa and a few others including the
poster boy Canseco. A number of the pictures of Mantle and Maris, Robinson, Mays we're pictures in the dressing rooms and their physical appearance compared to the modern day players looked like the skinny guy in the Charles Atlas ad's while other players from that era just looked plain out of shape. Not saying this proves anything
though.

Baseball players did not believe in weight training back then. This however does not mean that they would not have benefited from the use of steroids and consider if only a few were doing it, they had a much much greater advantage than in recent times when it was more widely spread. Not even going to go into Amphetamine use here which absolutely was prevalent in that era