PDA

View Full Version : Hiroshima

GaryG
08-04-2010, 06:23 PM
For the first time we will be sending a delegation to the ceremony commemorating the nuking of Japan on Aug 6, 1945. This will undoubtedly include a profuse apology saying that Truman acted stupidly. This is how low we have sunk. Just imagine if this POS was in charge instead of the great HST. We would probably be speaking two languages, Japanese and German. The japs would have nuked us in a nanosecond if they had the capability. I am glad my father, who saw extensive action in the Pacific, is not here to see this.

fast4522
08-04-2010, 08:39 PM
I hear you Gary, the bum licking is completely disgusting to the point of setting us up for a huge fall.

cj's dad
08-04-2010, 08:54 PM
One only needs to read the book "Hirihito" to know that he was prepared to have his people fight to the death in the streets of Japan -

His quote and I am paraphrasing is that the "blood of 1 million Americans would turn the streets of Tokyo red".

F--- him and his lackey Bas----s !! Good riddance to bad rubbish !!

Tom
08-04-2010, 10:37 PM
Harry did what was needed.
If they didn't like getting nuked, they should never have attacked us. Sucks to be them.

I have never shed a tear nor regretted what we did. We ended what they started. Too bad the bomb wasn't ready in time for Berlin. Cities like Hiroshima and Dresden serve to remind everyone what to expect when you start a war.

Native Texan III
08-05-2010, 04:00 PM
Harry did what was needed.
If they didn't like getting nuked, they should never have attacked us. Sucks to be them.

I have never shed a tear nor regretted what we did. We ended what they started. Too bad the bomb wasn't ready in time for Berlin. Cities like Hiroshima and Dresden serve to remind everyone what to expect when you start a war.

I would not have thought that the citizens of Hiroshima or Dresden etc would have had much of a say, one way or the other, in starting or ending the war.

TJDave
08-05-2010, 04:18 PM
I would not have thought that the citizens of Hiroshima or Dresden etc would have had much of a say, one way or the other, in starting or ending the war.

Is there evidence to suggest that Hiroshima or Dresden citizens had protested their government's war policies?

Tom
08-05-2010, 05:06 PM
Like I said, sucks to be them.
I'll worry about our innocent people, then my dance card is full.

Robert Goren
08-05-2010, 05:22 PM
Ever so often I hear some try to argue how the Japan was about to surrender or other bunch of other bull crap. I found a way I can shut them up with one word. Nagasaki. If they so ready to surrender why we have to drop the second. To me it was worth it if saved one American soldier's life.

Lefty
08-05-2010, 05:43 PM
Truman not only saved American lives but Japanese lives as well.
There was a man with guts.

cj's dad
08-05-2010, 08:42 PM
What are the odds that the POSPOTUS apologizes for the nuking of the 2 cities ?? I'm laying 3/5 !!

wes
08-05-2010, 08:49 PM
http://videosift.com/video/Bat-Bombs-in-World-War-II-Weird-Weapons

Weapons of Mass Destruction!?
Well, it was attempted but never carried out during WWII. The idea was to make a bat bomb (seriously, keep reading) which amounted to a mobile bat den that could be loaded onto and dropped from a plane. The female Mexican Free-tailed Bats would be artifically induced into hibernation and a 28g incendiary device clamped to them before hand. This only amounted to about half their cargo capacity, as they are able to fly while holding their juvenile twin babies if they have two. A 17g device was made for the whimpier males that still gave them plenty of maneuverability. Once 40 bats were safely in the portable den and no longer in hibernation, the bat bomb with parachute would be pushed out of the plane and descend slowly in the pre-dawn hours with the bats still trapped inside. At a given altitude, the den would shed its outer layer, freeing the bats just before the break of dawn. They would leave the falling den seeking a secluded dark place to hang, such as in eves and attics of enemy buildings. In Japan, many buildings were made from paper and wood. The pre-dawn drop meant they would have very little time to be discovered before they sought a hiding place. Bats could navigate just fine in this lack of light. Starting at a high altitude meant they would disperse over a wide area and into many different buildings. A timer in all the devices would ensure they simultaneously dropped off the bats and ignited in high up dark corners were fire was difficult to be effectively smelt or seen or fought until it was fully burning. The initial series of drops would have used 41,600,000 bats. One quarter of the Mexican Free-tailed Bats in Texas at the time? The feasibility and effectiveness of this plan was accidentally proven when bats with live packs prematurely escaped one of the dens before a test run. The Auxiliary Army Air Base in Carlsbad, New Mexico was not primarily wood and paper. Soldiers retrieved most of the bats in time to disarm the devices. The army knew what to expect and how to stop it. But some of the bats took shelter in and inaccessible area under a fuel tank! Several bats where maimed or killed and the base was destroyed. The US Army was done with the project and it was shuffled through other branches and red tape until the US Marines got it. In tests, the parachuting dens would release their bats and they would fly into buildings of a full sized Japanese village replica carrying the unarmed version of the incendiary pack (they would not be given live ammo until again the final test). Soldiers would find the all the bats in their hiding places. It has been suggested (but not documented) that bats were given rewards for finding the best places to start fires. However, some dens' parachutes or opening mechanisms failed and many of the bats inside died on impact. Finally a full test with live packs was carried out. The replica town was reduced to ashes. At this point in history a conventional fully loaded bomber could start 400 effective fires in a square mile in Japan. Estimates for a bomber loaded with bat bombs was 4,748 effective fires in a 40 square mile area. But it turns out there was a more effective and reliable way to totally destroy 1 square mile and start all 4.7 square miles of an area on fire instantly instead of just in spots and there was little chance of them being put out. As a bonus, about 80,000 to 140,000 lives were guaranteed to be lost by the other method; where as the bat bombs gave most people a chance to escape the fires. The bat bombs were canceled and atomic bombs were used instead. At least it can still be said that no bats have ever inflicted significant harm to a human.

wes

Johnny V
08-05-2010, 08:50 PM
In anticipation of the invasion of Japan 500,000 purple heart medals were manufactured by the US. We have never manufactured another one. They are still using those meals till this very day right from Korea, Vietnam and through every other conflict since WWII with plenty of them left. It would have been a bloodbath and Japan may have ceased to exist as nation.

wes
08-05-2010, 08:57 PM

FDR world WW II and Truman the Korean war. I can remember both wars. I served in the US Army from 1955 to 1964.

wes

fast4522
08-06-2010, 02:04 AM
Thank you for your service in the Army Wes.

BlueShoe
08-06-2010, 09:30 AM
The use of nuclear weapons against the Japanese has been one of the most debated topics in recent history. From my perspective, it was absolutely necessary. Estimates of casualties had we invaded the Japanese homeland vary widely, but they would have been staggering. In 1945 Japanese civilians, including school children, were making and stockpiling crude bamboo spears, and being taught how to use them against Americans. That gives some insight into what an invasion might have been like. Horrible as they were, the bombs may have spared millions of Japanese as well as hundreds of thousands Americans and her allies.

GameTheory
08-06-2010, 10:51 AM
We focus on the nukes but the firebombing of Toyko was arguably more horrific and killed more. (At least initially, hard to completely quantify the long-term effects of the bomb.)

mostpost
08-07-2010, 12:18 AM
For the first time we will be sending a delegation to the ceremony commemorating the nuking of Japan on Aug 6, 1945. This will undoubtedly include a profuse apology saying that Truman acted stupidly

The ceremony is over and there was no apology. It appears that our envoy, Mr. Roos, did not even speak at the ceremony.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/07/world/asia/07japan.html
It would appear that most Japaneese are not looking for an apology:
In interviews with more than two dozen Japanese who visited the Hiroshima Peace Memorial this week, only one said with any conviction that the United States should apologize.
Younger Japanese said that while they were appalled by the museum’s graphic depictions of individual suffering, they did not view Hiroshima as an atrocity on the same moral level as the Holocaust, because the Japanese were not solely victims.

“Japan has its past, too, including Pearl Harbor,” said Akeo Fuji, 50. “This is not about hating the United States, but about hating nuclear war.”

Inatomi Takashi, 27, of Nagasaki, said, “We became prosperous because of America, so we don’t see America darkly.”

Historians say such sentiments are widely, if quietly, shared in Japan. They say the moral ambiguity is one reason for an almost total lack of hostility toward Americans in Hiroshima, a city of about 1.1 million in the shadow of forested mountains.

In a statement, the United States Embassy said that Mr. Roos’s visit had reflected “a common goal of advancing President Obama’s vision of a world without nuclear weapons.”

But, don't worry rightie wingnuts, Obama is planning a trip to Japan in November. That trip may include a visit to Hiroshima. There will be plenty of opportunity for you to get worked up over nothing then. :rolleyes:

GameTheory
08-07-2010, 01:00 AM
Yeah, seems like a non-issue. Are there those here that think we are still at war with Japan? What culture has embraced Americana more fervently than Japan?

We have more tension with France than Japan, and France has always been a (supposed) ally. (And to those that like to point out how we've rescued France on occasion and that they should be grateful should remember that they saved our bacon way back during the American Revolution. There wouldn't be a USA without France's help at the start.)

NJ Stinks
08-07-2010, 01:40 AM
The ceremony is over and there was no apology.

Another 3-5 shot bites the dust. :lol: :p

Marshall Bennett
08-07-2010, 06:47 AM
The two bombs dropped on Japan demonstrated the horror of nuclear power and its devastation . Might it be said it would have been far worse to learn this years later with a much more powerful bomb ?
The Japanese were given their options in advance and chose to ignore them . We owe them nothing . They should consider themselves fortunate that our leaders weren't of the mindset of theirs , or their entire nation would have been reduced to ashes .

cj's dad
08-07-2010, 10:34 AM

Happens all the time - just shows he can't be counted on. :eek:

newtothegame
08-07-2010, 10:38 AM

LMAO...your right. Problem is in some circles here, this would be called REDBOARDING. Amazingly, you, nor Mosty had anything to say PRIOR to the event. But, I can understand being gun shy...you guys have been beat up pretty hard around here :lol:

PhantomOnTour
08-07-2010, 10:56 AM
LMAO...your right. Problem is in some circles here, this would be called REDBOARDING. Amazingly, you, nor Mosty had anything to say PRIOR to the event. But, I can understand being gun shy...you guys have been beat up pretty hard around here :lol:
Yeah, it had nothing to do with what ACTUALLY happened right? It's all about what folks did or didn't say about it beforehand...fargin laughable.
Bottom line is that the OP was soooooooo sure he knew what was gonna happen and it didn't....oops. Now you wanna hold Mosty and others to the fire because they didn't predict that an apology wasn't coming?
This is what I call DEADBOARDING...predicting something and being wrong and then pointing the finger at the detractors because they never posted a counter-prediction. I haven't lived in Louisiana all my life Newtothegame, have you? You seem to be a product of the Louisiana education system :lol:

Lefty
08-07-2010, 12:53 PM
I saw a documentary years ago that said Japan was only days away from
have their own nuclear bomb. They were waiting for a shipment of "heavy water"

BlueShoe
08-07-2010, 01:47 PM
And to those that like to point out how we've rescued France on occasion and that they should be grateful should remember that they saved our bacon way back during the American Revolution. There wouldn't be a USA without France's help at the start.)
Yes there would, it just would have been more difficult and taken more time and lives. While we should remember French help during the Revolution, it was very helpful, not absolutely critical. On the other hand, three times during the 20th century we saved the Froggies asses; first from the Kaiser, next from the Nazis, and last from the Red Army.

Marshall Bennett
08-07-2010, 02:21 PM
People often comment about the "needless" loss of our 4000+ soldiers in Iraq , they seldom mention or even know of the tens of thousands we lost liberating France . Although we spared them further occupation by the Nazis , it was the Soviets we ultimately saved them from and who had in mind a different form of liberation .

boxcar
08-07-2010, 02:24 PM

The governments, as the federal heads of those countries (including those two cities), had plenty to say.

Boxcar

wes
08-07-2010, 03:12 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_atomic_program

What do you think Japan was up to during WW II? They were not playing war they were planing it big time. As well as Hitler. America beat them to the bomb building know how.

http://www.bing.com/reference/semhtml/?title=Oak_Ridge,_Tennessee&src=abop&qpvt=Oak+Ridge.&q=oak+ridge&fwd=1

Info on OAK RIDGE Tennessee WW II secrets.

wes

newtothegame
08-07-2010, 05:56 PM
Yeah, it had nothing to do with what ACTUALLY happened right? It's all about what folks did or didn't say about it beforehand...fargin laughable.
Bottom line is that the OP was soooooooo sure he knew what was gonna happen and it didn't....oops. Now you wanna hold Mosty and others to the fire because they didn't predict that an apology wasn't coming?
This is what I call DEADBOARDING...predicting something and being wrong and then pointing the finger at the detractors because they never posted a counter-prediction. I haven't lived in Louisiana all my life Newtothegame, have you? You seem to be a product of the Louisiana education system :lol:

See..and just when I thought you were alright in my book, you go and make assinine statements. You generalize the Louisiana education sysyetms as being poor by making a statement such as "you seem to be a product of the Louisiana system". Problem is, for someone who seems to know alot about it (as you have made such statements before in another thread), you are one totally clueless person. Do you know where I grew up???
Do you know where I went to school?
Do you know anything about anything??
Obviously not, when you continually try to down others with such lame ass analogies as "you seem to be a product of the Louisiana education system".

Since you have no choice but to admit that you know very little about me, I will let it pass as just plain ole stupidity on your part. And seeing your stance on most things here in off topic, again...stupidity!

So, in closing, may I suggest that before you ASSume where people were or were not educated from, you actually take a look in the mirror and realize there is but ONE stupid person posting!

Rookies
08-07-2010, 11:48 PM
For the first time we will be sending a delegation to the ceremony commemorating the nuking of Japan on Aug 6, 1945. This will undoubtedly include a profuse apology saying that Truman acted stupidly. This is how low we have sunk. Just imagine if this POS was in charge instead of the great HST. We would probably be speaking two languages, Japanese and German. The japs would have nuked us in a nanosecond if they had the capability. I am glad my father, who saw extensive action in the Pacific, is not here to see this.

Bottom line- no apology.

And I'm asuming that all the members of the right cabal here denounced the Prezzie placing flowers on the graves of German soldiers, including the SS. Right ? :lol:

Tom
08-08-2010, 12:02 AM
I suggested the he PISS on them. That would have been 100% appropriate. Perhaps a loogie or two.

Canadian
08-08-2010, 12:13 AM
For the first time we will be sending a delegation to the ceremony commemorating the nuking of Japan on Aug 6, 1945. This will undoubtedly include a profuse apology saying that Truman acted stupidly. This is how low we have sunk.

And..................... No. Epic prediction fail. There was zero chance of an appology... ZERO... for about a million different reasons.

What are the odds that the POSPOTUS apologizes for the nuking of the 2 cities ?? I'm laying 3/5 !!

Yes... something with absolutely no chance of happening, didn't happen.... suprise.

Now you'd think that since your were so positive an event with a virtually no shot of occuring was going to occur... and then of course didn't.... that you might want to adjust your world view a bit... or at least dial down the gullibility meter.

PhantomOnTour
08-08-2010, 12:56 AM
See..and just when I thought you were alright in my book, you go and make assinine statements. You generalize the Louisiana education sysyetms as being poor by making a statement such as "you seem to be a product of the Louisiana system". Problem is, for someone who seems to know alot about it (as you have made such statements before in another thread), you are one totally clueless person. Do you know where I grew up???
Do you know where I went to school?
Do you know anything about anything??
Obviously not, when you continually try to down others with such lame ass analogies as "you seem to be a product of the Louisiana education system".

Since you have no choice but to admit that you know very little about me, I will let it pass as just plain ole stupidity on your part. And seeing your stance on most things here in off topic, again...stupidity!

So, in closing, may I suggest that before you ASSume where people were or were not educated from, you actually take a look in the mirror and realize there is but ONE stupid person posting!
A) the education system in Louisiana IS one of the worst in the country. Are you saying it isn't? Ever wonder why DRF moved their print center from Hammond to Dallas? Cuz they couldn't get the job done on time and couldn't keep the place staffed That's just one example. I know enough about the education system in Louisiana by having to interview folks from here who are looking for jobs. Do you know why many folks in Louisiana end their names with an 'X', like Boudreaux or Thibodeaux? Because they couldn't write! Speaking of Boudreaux and Thibodeaux (two famous characters of Louisiana humor)...do you know what they are?.....two totally stupid locals!
B) I couldn't give two craps if I was alright in your book...who the hell reads that anyway?
C) I never ASSumed anything. Sorry if your post made it seem like you were educated in this state. I
D) You are the one who decided to join in on the circle jerk and jump on folks because they never predicted the opposite of what the OP predicted...so the apology DID happen? Or have you forgotten about that crucial point in this discussion (you know, the prediction that started this thread)?

The bottom line is that one of your pals decided we were going to apologize to Japan and plastered it all over this board...and he was wrong. But your position is that no one said it wouldn't happen. It has nothing to do with what actually did happen then??? That's like a Colts fan coming up to a Saints fan after he predicted the Colts would win the Super Bowl and saying, "Well, you never predicted the Saints would win." Really? That's all ya got? Ain't it about who actually won, and not who said was gonna win??? Just admit that the OP was wrong, as we all know, and move on dude.

newtothegame
08-08-2010, 01:04 AM
And just to get myself back on topic here....

I think the dropping of the nukes on both cities was tragic...yet very necessary.
The Japanese showed much worse in their endeavors throughout the war. It is almost without a doubt, an event which SAVED lives.

Even after the first, the Japanese were either confident that we only had one, or that they could somehow still win at ALL COST. Many here talk about the "people" of japan. This is a country that at that time, was solidly behind their emporer and his choices (even if thhe choices didnt necessarily come from him).

If you are to look at the people and how it affected them, what about the many countries Japan overwhelmed and how those countries peoples were treated? I assure you that being in a Japanese prison camp was no easy ticket from what I have heard and seen in history.

As to whether or not B.O would bow and apologize, I could freaking care less. This administration has shown (at least to me) that it is not for the "people" of the U.S.
This admin is all about power and control. So, even if he were to bow, I don't think it would be in sincereity. Nothing this administration has done has been without an agenda in my opinion. Kiss an ass here....kick an ass there...it all has meaning. Question is...what's the meaning??? You all have to answer that for yourselves, and vote accordingly this November for starters!!

newtothegame
08-08-2010, 01:14 AM
]A) the education system in Louisiana IS one of the worst in the country.[/b] Are you saying it isn't? Ever wonder why DRF moved their print center from Hammond to Dallas? Cuz they couldn't get the job done on time and couldn't keep the place staffed That's just one example. I know enough about the education system in Louisiana by having to interview folks from here who are looking for jobs. Do you know why many folks in Louisiana end their names with an 'X', like Boudreaux or Thibodeaux? Because they couldn't write! Speaking of Boudreaux and Thibodeaux (two famous characters of Louisiana humor)...do you know what they are?.....two totally stupid locals!
B) I couldn't give two craps if I was alright in your book...who the hell reads that anyway?
C) I never ASSumed anything. Sorry if your post made it seem like you were educated in this state. I
D) You are the one who decided to join in on the circle jerk and jump on folks because they never predicted the opposite of what the OP predicted...so the apology DID happen? Or have you forgotten about that crucial point in this discussion (you know, the prediction that started this thread)?

The bottom line is that one of your pals decided we were going to apologize to Japan and plastered it all over this board...and he was wrong. But your position is that no one said it wouldn't happen. It has nothing to do with what actually did happen then??? That's like a Colts fan coming up to a Saints fan after he predicted the Colts would win the Super Bowl and saying, "Well, you never predicted the Saints would win." Really? That's all ya got? Ain't it about who actually won, and not who said was gonna win??? Just admit that the OP was wrong, as we all know, and move on dude.

From the bolded above....I have never seen a sentence that both starts and ends with "I"...maybe you have been in Louisiana too long.

"Cuz"....Are you referring to a relative of yours? Or is this another Louisiana education showing the true spelling of cause? ???

"the education system in Louisiana IS one of the worst in the country"
With people like yourself running around, not knowing when to capitalize a sentence, I can see why!!

"Cuz they couldn't get the job done on time and couldn't keep the place staffed That's just one example."
Now I am sure this appears to be a run on sentence. Shouldn't there be a period in here some place???

I have finally come to a conclussion, your right! Louisianians are dumb! Just look at your post above! If you leave, I am sure we will raise our standards a few notches with one less dumbass here!

newtothegame
08-08-2010, 01:17 AM
Point above being....before you go calling someone stupid and dumb, make sure your own house is in order!

PhantomOnTour
08-08-2010, 01:23 AM
From the bolded above....I have never seen a sentence that both starts and ends with "I"...maybe you have been in Louisiana too long.

"Cuz"....Are you referring to a relative of yours? Or is this another Louisiana education showing the true spelling of cause? ???

"the education system in Louisiana IS one of the worst in the country"
With people like yourself running around, not knowing when to capitalize a sentence, I can see why!!

"Cuz they couldn't get the job done on time and couldn't keep the place staffed That's just one example."
Now I am sure this appears to be a run on sentence. Shouldn't there be a period in here some place???

I have finally come to a conclussion, your right! Louisianians are dumb! Just look at your post above! If you leave, I am sure we will raise our standards a few notches with one less dumbass here!
Actually, it's an abbreviation for the BECAUSE, not CAUSE. Oopsy daisy. Ya missed that huh? Did you not know what 'cuz' is an abbreviation for? Where did you get 'CAUSE' from? :lol:
Yes, I made a typo with the letter 'I' in there by mistake. Also missed a period. See how easy it is to just admit one was wrong or made a mistake? Maybe you should do the same. Funny, I never see you jump on others for typos...like Tom. Have you seen the statement under all of his posts? It's totally messed up.
By the way, you misspelled the word 'sincerity' in post #34, but who's noticing that stuff anyway, right?

Lefty
08-08-2010, 04:12 AM
The bombings served 2 purposes: Ended the war and sent a message to one
Joe Stalin

JustRalph
08-08-2010, 05:17 AM
The bombings served 2 purposes: Ended the war and sent a message to one
Joe Stalin

Excellent point...............

newtothegame
08-08-2010, 11:52 AM
Actually, it's an abbreviation for the BECAUSE, not CAUSE. Oopsy daisy. Ya missed that huh? Did you not know what 'cuz' is an abbreviation for? Where did you get 'CAUSE' from? :lol:
Yes, I made a typo with the letter 'I' in there by mistake. Also missed a period. See how easy it is to just admit one was wrong or made a mistake? Maybe you should do the same. Funny, I never see you jump on others for typos...like Tom. Have you seen the statement under all of his posts? It's totally messed up.
By the way, you misspelled the word 'sincerity' in post #34, but who's noticing that stuff anyway, right?

No one else implies I am stupid because of a Louisiana education. So therefore I don't feel the need to find their typos. And yes, I will mispell things...(remember your words and my poor louisiana education)? I am not the one who put myself out there with such a poor personal attack. As I said...make sure your yard is clean before you attempt to talk of someone elses dirt.
Lastly...as I said before...do this state a favor and upgrade it by LEAVING!
You consistently talk bad about Louisiana but yet you remain here. What gives?

mostpost
08-08-2010, 12:46 PM
Problem is in some circles here, this would be called REDBOARDING.
At least in my case, this is not redboarding since I never claimed to have previously predicted there would be no apology. I merely informed that there had been none. I wasn't claiming I was right; I was pointing out GaryG. (and CJ'sDad) were wrong.

newtothegame
08-08-2010, 12:51 PM
At least in my case, this is not redboarding since I never claimed to have previously predicted there would be no apology. I merely informed that there had been none. I wasn't claiming I was right; I was pointing out GaryG. (and CJ'sDad) were wrong.

Oh I know Mosty...and it was just a bit of humor in my original post. You and I have had many debates...and discussed and disagreed on alot of things. But I have always respected you taking a stance and sticking to it, right or wrong inmho.
And, I have always liked the back and forth with you....

BlueShoe
08-08-2010, 01:09 PM
Did any of the Japanese bow and apologize to us? As so many others have stated in the past, there would have been no Hiroshima and Nagasaki had there been no Pearl Harbor. Not sure if there are any Japanese airmen or sailors still alive that were part of the Dec. 7, 1941 strike force, but if there were, it would have been appropriate for them to have been there and done the bowing and apologizing to our delagation.

wes
08-08-2010, 01:34 PM
http://www.u-s-history.com/pages/h1740.html

Several thousand Kamikaze planes had been set aside for an invasion of the Japanese mainland that never happened. Kamikaze pilots were one of the reasons President Harry S. Truman decided to drop the atomic bombs.

This will tell you why Truman desired to drop the bomb.

wes