PDA

View Full Version : ZENYATTA WILL SHE RUN AT DEL MAR 8/7/10

Igeteven
08-03-2010, 01:17 PM
I believe it's still in the dark will she run or not, I have seen nothing but talk and speculation that she will run.

Does any insider have any info on the following,

1. Will she run?

2. Will she show up for a appearance and parade in front of the people?

3. Take a vacation and go some where else?

speed
08-03-2010, 01:26 PM
Might be a match race with lisa's Booby trap at Del Mar :)

TommyCh
08-03-2010, 01:37 PM
Means nothing, but TVG was hyping a Zenyatta/Hirsch appearance over the weekend. Seems hard to believe Moss would run her if he truly does not like the surface at Del Mar. If he says "yeah, the surface stinks, but she's so much better than these others, she'll win anyway," well that's bad karma and a bad approach to me.

And to add this delicious quote from DRF:
"Made for Magic’s trainer, A.C. Avila, said the Grade 1 status of the Hirsch and the $60,000 second-place purse makes the race attractive. He does not expect Made for Magic to be the first horse to upset Zenyatta, who has won 17 races. “What are we going to do?” he said on Sunday morning. “We have to run for the second purse."

Really makes me want to watch, let alone bet, the race.

carlonr
08-03-2010, 01:50 PM
My information is that the connections are weighing the Hirsch vs. the Pacific Classic (where Zenyatta would only carry 119lbs). She is set to arrive @ Del Mar on Wednesday. Of course, they are considering any surface issues (or lack thereof) as well.

andymays
08-03-2010, 02:08 PM
http://www.insidesocal.com/horseracing/

Excerpt:

It looks like it's about 99.5 percent certain that the unbeaten Zenyatta will run in Saturday's $300,000 Grade 1 Clement L. Hirsch Stakes , according to Del Mar officials.

Igeteven
08-03-2010, 02:41 PM
My information is that the connections are weighing the Hirsch vs. the Pacific Classic (where Zenyatta would only carry 119lbs). She is set to arrive @ Del Mar on Wednesday. Of course, they are considering any surface issues (or lack thereof) as well.

If she runs, they will prepare the track surface for her, if anything happens, that's the end of Califonia Racing.

Igeteven
08-03-2010, 02:49 PM
If anything happens on that surface, God Help Del Mar

That would be the end of Poly Crap

Stevie Belmont
08-03-2010, 04:13 PM
Just ship her to the Spa. They have a race for her there at the end of the month on the 29th at a distance that fits her perfectly.

No detention barn either.

Igeteven
08-03-2010, 04:37 PM
Just ship her to the Spa. They have a race for her there at the end of the month on the 29th at a distance that fits her perfectly.

No detention barn either.

:ThmbUp:

Igeteven
08-03-2010, 04:38 PM
http://www.insidesocal.com/horseracing/

Excerpt:

It looks like it's about 99.5 percent certain that the unbeaten Zenyatta will run in Saturday's $300,000 Grade 1 Clement L. Hirsch Stakes , according to Del Mar officials.

with the low odds, I say she will not run

MickJ26
08-03-2010, 09:10 PM
This is so ridiculous. Make up your minds John and Jerry. What about the people who might want go out to San Diego to see her run? They're holding a lot of people hostage.

Igeteven
08-03-2010, 09:21 PM
This is so ridiculous. Make up your minds John and Jerry. What about the people who might want go out to San Diego to see her run? They're holding a lot of people hostage.

Right on :)

historically, they have done this to their customers, right to the last minute.

I still believe she will show up, run, No way. just an appearance fee of 10 grand to say hi to the people.

Stillriledup
08-04-2010, 01:33 AM
This figures to be a strong field?

letswastemoney
08-04-2010, 02:31 AM
This figures to be a strong field?
If you consider Dance To My Tune and Made for Magic strong...

Igeteven
08-04-2010, 11:47 AM
If you consider Dance To My Tune and Made for Magic strong...

If she runs, she will looooooooooooooooooooosssssssssssssssssssssseeeeee eeeee

DJofSD
08-04-2010, 03:13 PM
If she runs, she will looooooooooooooooooooosssssssssssssssssssssseeeeee eeeee
Can I get a $124 exacta with that, please?

Spendabuck85
08-04-2010, 03:31 PM
From drf.com
Zenyatta was entered in Saturday’s $300,000 Clement Hirsch Stakes at Del Mar on Wednesday, the same morning she made her much-anticipated first appearance of the season on the Del Mar Polytrack surface

full story at:
http://www.drf.com/news/zenyatta-entered-clement-hirsch

cj
08-04-2010, 03:38 PM
Delmar should be embarrassed that is the best field they can muster up for a G1.

tbwinner
08-04-2010, 03:54 PM
SHE'S IN

And CJ, I agree, 6 horse field, WOW what a joke.

cj
08-04-2010, 04:40 PM
SHE'S IN

And CJ, I agree, 6 horse field, WOW what a joke.

Not just that it is six, but the total lack of quality of the rest. 4 total scrubs and a horse that won one of the worst G2s in history.

tbwinner
08-04-2010, 05:25 PM
Show betting on this race? Could be biggest minus pool in history...

cj
08-04-2010, 05:31 PM
I might be able to run 3rd.

Hedevar
08-04-2010, 05:42 PM
Actually, this is such a farce, who really cares? It is an exhibition created by Del Mar officials on their knees begging Jerry to run her because their meet has been an unmitigated disaster.

It is no more than a workout and could well be a good-bye. It certainly will not prepare her for the BCC. But I don't think their worried about that. To be truthful I don't like to fly either but thats because I find TSA to be insufferable.

What's Zenyatta's excuse?

Igeteven
08-04-2010, 07:10 PM
Can I get a $124 exacta with that, please?

with a 6 horse field, I will run, and run and run :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :confused: :confused: :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Roy C
08-04-2010, 07:40 PM
Lester, you should be happy....there is a free square in your pick 4 :lol:

OntheRail
08-04-2010, 08:24 PM
Delmar should be embarrassed that is the best field they can muster up for a G1.

G1 In name only. They had the gantlet tossed down by Jackson to run at Spa but they pick to squeeze some rip Ramos at Del Mar.

The only thing on Mosses mind is beating Pepper's Pride's record not beating quality horses on the track. The Record The Record is the only thing the music man knows. :bang:

tucker6
08-04-2010, 08:38 PM
G1 In name only. They had the gantlet tossed down by Jackson to run at Spa but they pick to squeeze some rip Ramos at Del Mar.

The only thing on Mosses mind is beating Pepper's Pride's record not beating quality horses on the track. The Record The Record is the only thing the music man knows. :bang:
As CJ said the other day (correct me if I'm wrong), Zenyatta's record is hollow. 17-0 or not, she's not a top 50 all-time horse. Ruffian was 35, Ack Ack was 44, PE was 48, Dahlia was 50, Silver Charm and Holy Bull were 63 and 64. How does Z stand up against that bunch on BCC day at CD at 10F?? She hasn't proven it against competition, and that includes last year's BCC against turf and dirt horses on a poly track. Talk about a prime setup.

GaryG
08-04-2010, 08:46 PM
The only thing on Mosses mind is beating Pepper's Pride's record not beating quality horses on the track. The Record The Record is the only thing the music man knows. :bang:That record does not mean jack. Only hard core fans have ever heard of Peppers Pride. If Moss stays out west and faces this kind of competition for the rest of the year there will be no HOY and no lifetime achievement award. Talk about no huevos.....

Igeteven
08-04-2010, 08:56 PM
Lester, you should be happy....there is a free square in your pick 4 :lol:

with a 9 grand payout today, we need all the help we can get, provided that she is part of the late pick 4

bane
08-05-2010, 04:22 PM
That record does not mean jack. Only hard core fans have ever heard of Peppers Pride. If Moss stays out west and faces this kind of competition for the rest of the year there will be no HOY and no lifetime achievement award. Talk about no huevos.....

Hey I have a Pepper's Pride Fred Stone Print signed by Fred Stone, Joel marr and Carlos Madeira! Be nice lol

Tom
08-05-2010, 05:38 PM
Sherriff's suggested today that her next start might well be on dirt as a prep for the BCC. Unfortunately, the slappy-happy saps at TVG were not able to extract a passable interview from him.

thaskalos
08-05-2010, 07:28 PM
Actually, this is such a farce, who really cares? It is an exhibition created by Del Mar officials on their knees begging Jerry to run her because their meet has been an unmitigated disaster.

It is no more than a workout and could well be a good-bye. It certainly will not prepare her for the BCC. But I don't think their worried about that. To be truthful I don't like to fly either but thats because I find TSA to be insufferable.

What's Zenyatta's excuse?Wait a minute Hedevar...

When we were criticizing Rachel's connections for entering her in an ungraded stakes race at Monmouth (with an artificially inflated purse...I might add)...wasn't it you who responded that $400,000 is "pretty good money for a work"?

Why should Zenyatta's connections pass up this nice "workout" money?

There is ample time left to get her ready for the BC Classic...

andymays
08-05-2010, 07:47 PM
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/aug/05/zenyatta-awakens-and-takes-walk/

Excerpt:

DEL MAR — Trainer John Shirreffs said he would know Friday if Zenyatta would run the next day at Del Mar. But Thursday, when asked when he would know for sure, he said: “An hour before the race.”

cj
08-05-2010, 07:49 PM

Excerpt:

DEL MAR — Trainer John Shirreffs said he would know Friday if Zenyatta would run the next day at Del Mar. But Thursday, when asked when he would know for sure, he said: “An hour before the race.”

If she doesn't run, it could be the worst G1 ever run in the history of racing.

dccprez
08-05-2010, 07:54 PM
I say that Zen's owners have every right to run her wherever they choose.

Yeah, it kinda sux that they are passing on The Spa - but they can do whatever they want.

I live in Saratoga and believe-you-me; I would do whatever it would take to be there to see the girl run. It might be the biggest day ever in Saratoga if Zen came for the Personal Ensign to face RA and whomever.

But it's pretty certain that Mr Sheriff's has mapped out a conservative path for the big girl; Stay at home, win the same races that she has won twice before and ramp up for the Classic.

In the end, if she wins out, there wil be no denying her the HOY and, perhaps, all time greatest Mare.

No worries. Only disappointment.

(Consider this; While I am not at all sure of the cross - which is to say if it is even feasible - but can you imagine what kind of monster a breeding between Zen and Curlin would produce?!?)

Hedevar
08-05-2010, 07:55 PM
Wait a minute Hedevar...

When we were criticizing Rachel's connections for entering her in an ungraded stakes race at Monmouth (artificially inflated...I might add)...wasn't it you who responded that $400,000 is "pretty good money for a work"?

Why should Zenyatta's connections pass up this nice "workout" money?

Two reasons Thaskalos, first and foremost they are so unsure of the track and whether they really want to race. Just today Shirreff's noted that he would not know if Zenyatta was going to race until an hour before post. If her trainer is that worried about the track he should not run his big horse.

Second, how in the world will a race against the type of competition she will be racing against on Polytrack help her prepare for the BCC? Rachel got a chance to prove she could rate in her race. What will Zenyatta prove in this race that she has not already proven?

There was no question about the suitability of the track in Rachel's case and she needed the race. Does Zenyatta need to race on a surface that worries her trainer sick and will do her no good at all in preparing for the BCC.

DJofSD
08-05-2010, 10:29 PM

Excerpt:

What a joke this surface has become. A surface that was suppose to be the end-all, cure-all for all the problems of California racing has become the prime consideration whether or not a horse will run -- not the competition, not the distance, not the condition of the horse or any of the other more traditional doubts, the damn race track itself.

At this point I say screw it. If she runs I'll watch a replay. I'll go play golf instead. I'd reconsider if DMR will refund my parking and admission if she scratches but I think the chance of that happening are about the same as ... well, I was going to same something political, but this is not OT, is it.

sandpit
08-05-2010, 10:51 PM
If she doesn't run, it could be the worst G1 ever run in the history of racing.

Maybe for older horses, but the winner for 2yo's has to go to the 2006 Frizette (G1) at Belmont. Sutra seemingly galloped home (even though she was really running hard) by about 2 lengths, earning a whopping 68 Beyer. The only race she ever won after that was a $35K optional claimer/2x at Fair Grounds.

TEJAS KIDD
08-05-2010, 11:06 PM
I dont think it's the Del Mar surface in question. I think she doesnt like the surface and they want to keep her record clean. Her 2 wins at DMR were life and death against terrible fields. When I heard that she was not going to be retired after all, I told my family that she would get to 17 for 17 and head into Dmr and get beat.
As much as I should bet against her, I won't, because I don't want her to get beat, we need her undefeated into the BC to face Rachel, Quality Road, Lookin at Lucky and perhaps Goldikova. Wouldnt that be an amazing race.

thaskalos
08-05-2010, 11:16 PM
Two reasons Thaskalos, first and foremost they are so unsure of the track and whether they really want to race. Just today Shirreff's noted that he would not know if Zenyatta was going to race until an hour before post. If her trainer is that worried about the track he should not run his big horse.

Second, how in the world will a race against the type of competition she will be racing against on Polytrack help her prepare for the BCC? Rachel got a chance to prove she could rate in her race. What will Zenyatta prove in this race that she has not already proven?

There was no question about the suitability of the track in Rachel's case and she needed the race. Does Zenyatta need to race on a surface that worries her trainer sick and will do her no good at all in preparing for the BCC.I don't believe that the concerns about the surface are legitimate.

This is more bullshit from Shirreff, IMO. If the track was that much of a worry, Zenyatta would not be there as we speak. The same applies for his comment about making up his mind an hour before post. You don't treat the fans with this kind of disrespect.

I am a Zenyatta fan...but I like to think that I am reasonable about this. I cannot defend her connections, for the campaign they have chosen for the great mare this year...unless she starts in the BC Classic.

But I think that Rachel's campaign has been equally shameful to date...and hardly befitting a reigning Horse Of The Year.

The argument that Rachel somehow "needed" that last race at Monmouth, holds no water IMO. She ran a smashing, much improved race, 3rd off the lay-off...which was a clear indication of "peak" form.

Equal criticism for BOTH camps...I say!

Stillriledup
08-06-2010, 12:32 AM
DMR management must know she can't win, a loss by Z guarantee's a pick 6 carryover for the next day. Why else would you put this race as part of the pick 6? It doesnt make any sense that this race is ruining the pick 4 also.

Hedevar
08-06-2010, 07:21 AM
I don't believe that the concerns about the surface are legitimate.

This is more bullshit from Shirreff, IMO. If the track was that much of a worry, Zenyatta would not be there as we speak. The same applies for his comment about making up his mind an hour before post. You don't treat the fans with this kind of disrespect.

I am a Zenyatta fan...but I like to think that I am reasonable about this. I cannot defend her connections, for the campaign they have chosen for the great mare this year...unless she starts in the BC Classic.

But I think that Rachel's campaign has been equally shameful to date...and hardly befitting a reigning Horse Of The Year.

The argument that Rachel somehow "needed" that last race at Monmouth, holds no water IMO. She ran a smashing, much improved race, 3rd off the lay-off...which was a clear indication of "peak" form.

Equal criticism for BOTH camps...I say!

She had won one race this year. She was learning to rate. She needed the race to finish strong, test her new running style and boost her confidence. She is just rounding into form. You yourself said the race was "much improved".

bane
08-06-2010, 01:25 PM
Sherriff's suggested today that her next start might well be on dirt as a prep for the BCC. Unfortunately, the slappy-happy saps at TVG were not able to extract a passable interview from him.

TVG is Zenyetta crazy (most of them), there is no doubt that TVG is west coast biased but than again most of the turf writers are East Coast biased... and who has more votes on Eclipse Awards.

Matt Carothers is the one guy on TVG that I normally agree with.

cj
08-07-2010, 08:40 AM
Interesting that speed was not really a good thing to have yesterday.

DJofSD
08-07-2010, 09:12 AM
It's been cooler than average for just about the entire summer. There was enough of a marine layer last night to prompt the weather service to predict drizzle. More moisture, anti-speed bias?

carlonr
08-07-2010, 10:01 AM
Can any one of the anti-synthetic crowd provide any quote that says Sherriffs was referring to the surface when he stated that he would know if she would run "an hour before the race"?

andymays
08-07-2010, 10:04 AM
Can any one of the anti-synthetic crowd provide any quote that says Sherriffs was referring to the surface when he stated that he would know if she would run "an hour before the race"?

What do you think he was referring to? The weather?

Robert Fischer
08-07-2010, 11:43 AM
what a disappointing placement

Zenyatta is supposed to be running in graded class races at 9 and 10 furlongs on synthetic and turf.

about all i can root for is that she remains healthy/continues to strengthen, while losing to this allowance field in a dreadfully slow pace.

Flores and co. should be aiming for 1:14-1:16, however even an intentional slow-down is hard to predict if for nothing else than the idiotic normal-fast paces these overmatched fields generally set against her.

cpitt84
08-07-2010, 12:58 PM
anyone know the times of zenyatta's and quality road's race?

tucker6
08-07-2010, 01:01 PM
The Hirsch is 6:15 PDT. Don't know the other.

cpitt84
08-07-2010, 01:16 PM

thanks so much.

DJofSD
08-07-2010, 01:20 PM
You had better double check that -- BRIS Instant Entries shows 6:00 PT.

And the program on the DMR web site says 6:05.

tucker6
08-07-2010, 01:20 PM
thanks so much.
welcome, but it isn't a given Zenyatta races in it apparently. Should be a fun Saturday evening. I'm getting my popcorn ready.

FenceBored
08-07-2010, 01:37 PM

It couldn't have been the surface! John loves the surface. John has always loved the surface. He thinks Zenyatta runs better over it than dirt even. Zenyatta wants to take a truckload of it home with her to sleep on. :liar:

andymays
08-07-2010, 01:38 PM
It couldn't have been the surface! John loves the surface. John has always loved the surface. He thinks Zenyatta runs better over it than dirt even. Zenyatta wants to take a truckload of it home with her to sleep on. :liar:

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73818

tucker6
08-07-2010, 01:42 PM
To me Andy, they've cut the Del Mar track too close to dangerous today to make it Zenyatta friendly. I think a track this unstable is a wild card in the race. The only way Zenyatta can lose this race IMHO is if the track cannot be managed by Zenyatta. A normal DM track setup would be just fine for Z. Don't understand why they have to trick up an already tricky surface.

andymays
08-07-2010, 01:52 PM
To me Andy, they've cut the Del Mar track too close to dangerous today to make it Zenyatta friendly. I think a track this unstable is a wild card in the race. The only way Zenyatta can lose this race IMHO is if the track cannot be managed by Zenyatta. A normal DM track setup would be just fine for Z. Don't understand why they have to trick up an already tricky surface.

It's out of their control. They have the best guy in the country working on it this meet and he still can't get it right.

Given the story in the other thead about Shirreffs I would say it's 50/50 that she'll run now. Then there's going to be a lot of explaining to do. Some felt they were going to scratch her today but didn't want to hurt attendance so they'll do it after a few races go by. I really don't know what's going on but there is something wrong with this deal besides the Polytrack.

http://www.dmtc.com/handicapping/bruno/index.php?f=/handicapping/bruno/100807.html

tbwinner
08-07-2010, 02:08 PM

Quality Road should go off at 5:48pm EST in the Whitney at Saratoga today.

bks
08-07-2010, 03:04 PM
andy said:

I really don't know what's going on but there is something wrong with this deal besides the Polytrack.

Why do you think that, andy? She's obviously not afraid of the other horses, and she had a good workout last week. What are you getting at?

andymays
08-07-2010, 03:06 PM
Why do you think that, andy? She's obviously not afraid of the other horses, and she had a good workout last week. What are you getting at?

Stillriledup
08-07-2010, 03:47 PM
They want to make sure the Pick 6 wagering starts before they announce the scratch. This way, the bettors will all be put onto the favorite (whoever that may be) and the favorite is extremely vulnerable since the other 5 horses are equal for the most part. Could you imagine a million dollar pick 6 pool with 80 % of the money on Z and then she scratches late and you get stuck with the post time favorite? :lol:

joanied
08-07-2010, 03:57 PM

IF Zenny runs...TVG @9pm EST

I hope they scratch zenny...I have a bda feeling about this...IMO, if you can't decide what to do...scratch...better safe than sorry!!

Tom
08-07-2010, 04:00 PM

He never mentioned the track. The comment was in the context of him not committing to any races early on. It was something like he was asked what race Z would go in next and he would not say, then he was asked, and it sounded kiddingly, when woud he know if she would start Saturday, the reply, about an hour before the race, coupled with laughter.

andymays
08-07-2010, 04:02 PM
He never mentioned the track. The comment was in the context of him not committing to any races early on. It was something like he was asked what race Z would go in next and he would not say, then he was asked, and it sounded kiddingly, when woud he know if she would start Saturday, the reply, about an hour before the race, coupled with laughter.
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73818&page=1&pp=15

Tom
08-07-2010, 06:18 PM
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73818&page=1&pp=15

I'm talking about the interview on TVG the other day.
I don't see nay quotes by Sherrifs in your links - can you point me to them?

andymays
08-07-2010, 06:19 PM
I'm talking about the interview on TVG the other day.
Got it.