PDA

View Full Version : Open Office expert needed

pktruckdriver
08-02-2010, 08:38 PM
Is there any one out there who thinks they can help me use OO calc?

I need to make copies of an excel master template, about 4 times per track, maybe more, and then a few other minor things, and I think I could take it from there.

Things like printing them up

Adding color to them the template if possible,

Setting a place to down load (export, I think) to a specific file,Track, or folder or place, not sure how to differintiate between two tracks to keep them serperate from each other.

patrick

tupper
08-03-2010, 02:04 AM
Most of what you are asking seems pretty straightforward.

You should be able to open the Excel template in OO, and then save it as an OO template.

If not, can you save the Excel template (in Excel) as an Excel spreadsheet? If so, open the Excel spreadsheet in OO, and then save it as an OO template.

Printing and adding color is usually very easy.

Creating folders for different tracks is a breeze, too.

michiken
08-03-2010, 05:40 PM
LearnOpenOffice.org (http://www.learnopenoffice.org/tutorials.htm)

pktruckdriver
08-03-2010, 07:00 PM
Thanks I will look at it.

I was kinda hoping for a crash course to do only what I need to do and maybe if someone who knew what I was doing might teach me a few extra tricks I might want to use.

As I will export into a folder, find it and copy and paste it into my copied template and thus begin the makings of a track model.

This will include lots of cut and pasting, but the pay-offs are worth every minute spent doing it.

So far I was able to get the template to save in OO, but unable to make copies and rename them and start filling them with exported races, work work and more work, but as mentioned before worth it.

Also I was wondering if I could print it out somehow in a readable report, and not some mumbo jumbo that would be unreadable, and could be done longways on normal paper, or would have to be longer paper?

I just did not want to damage the template trying to copy it into many other models, as I do not unlimited copies of it, so I know it sounds simple and I'm sure it is, but...

Patrick

pktruckdriver
08-03-2010, 07:11 PM
Okay I looked at the tutorial, but it did not have what I needed, but thanks.

I just want to copy my template many times, and rename them as needed, and then maybe set them up to be printed out when ready.

Also a few other minor tricks maybe, thats all.

Patrick

michiken
08-03-2010, 07:42 PM
Try this video on how to learn how to copy and paste files (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIQYCugfUWI) using windows explorer.

tupper
08-03-2010, 11:52 PM
As suggested, you can copy and rename the files in Windows Explorer (or in some other file manager), or you can use the "save as" function in OO.

Basically, you would open your template, then click on "File" to open it's menu, then click "Save As" in that menu. The "Save As" window should appear. Rename the file in the "file name" blank, and change "File type" blank to "ODF Spreadsheet (.ods)".

I am not sure that I understand your printing problem, but, to print the document, either click the "printer" icon, or click on "File" and then click on "Print".

pktruckdriver
08-04-2010, 04:46 AM
Thanks, I tried printing and it came out on about 6 pages, not 1 or 2 pages.

If I rename and save as, it will not lose the master? That is what has me worried.

Again Thank you

Patrick

Red Knave
08-04-2010, 12:00 PM
If I rename and save as, it will not lose the master? That is what has me worried.
If you open a file named "abc" and then do a "save as" you can name the file you "save as" to something like "def". Then you have 2 files saved, one named "abc" and one named "def". "Save as" does not change the original file.
The more you know about Windows the better off you will be with all software.

tupper
08-04-2010, 12:25 PM
The more you know about Windows the better off you will be with all software.Not just Windows.

As far as I know, the "Save As" function behaves the same way in every application on every OS.

tupper
08-04-2010, 01:10 PM
Thanks, I tried printing and it came out on about 6 pages, not 1 or 2 pages.It sounds like there might be too much information "width-wise" to fit on a single sheet (or perhaps there are blank cells to the right that have "unseen" spaces in them).

Click on "View" and then click on "Page Break Preview." You will see how the spreadsheet is broken up into pages. To get out of "Page Break Preview" mode, click "View" > "Normal".

The formatting could also be a culprit: the cells could be wider or taller than necessary; the size of the font could be reduced; there could be manual page breaks set in the original template/document; the margins are set too big; the column and row headers are being printed (usually unnecessary); etc.

You can also delete unneeded columns to reduce the width of your spreadsheet. Select the column by clicking on its header ("A", "B", "C" ...), then click "Edit" > "Delete Cells".

You can select more than one adjacent column at a time. Click on the header of one column, and hold down the mouse button while dragging the cursor left or right across the desired columns.

You can print "long-ways" by clicking "Format" > "Page". The "Page Style" window should appear. Click on the "Page" tab (even if it's grayed), then click on the "Landscape" radio button, then click "OK". It might be good to check the printer settings to see if it is set for "Landscape" -- "File" > "Printer Settings" > "Properties" > "Orientation".

tupper
08-04-2010, 01:39 PM
To set color backgrounds for the cells, select the cells to which you want to add color. Click "Format" > "Cells". In the "Format Cells" window, click on the "Background" tab. Choose a color, and click "OK".

Unfortunately, if one wants custom colors, they have to be added to the color pallet through a separate window. Click "Tools" > "Options". In the "Options" window go to "OpenOffice.org" > "Colors". To add a new color, enter its name and click "Add". Clicking "Edit" will cause the the color "wheel" to appear.

Native Texan III
08-04-2010, 01:40 PM
If you go into OpenOffice Help and type in Template Management it will tell you how to save, edit, import and print templates. The basic idea of a template is that is a skeleton type of resource which you can use over and over. If it is saved, it won't get lost or overwritten.

pktruckdriver
08-04-2010, 07:27 PM
Thanks a ton guys, really, I am off the next 2 days and will be working hard to set this up and have it working right by Saturday when I go back to work.

Models and records, I hear it all the time and will not ignore it no more!!

Again thank you all , as I will try just what you state and will do so with confidence, thanks

Patrick