PDA

View Full Version : This is what passes for entertainment in our culture

JustRalph
08-02-2010, 05:46 PM
How many times can these Madonna wannebes be reincarnated ?
It's so derivative but continues to sell......... :bang:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2010/08/02/2010-08-02_lady_gaga_slams_arizona_immigration_law_during_ phoenix_concert.html

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2010/08/03/alg_resize_lady-gaga.jpg

Singer Lady Gaga joined the chorus of critics blasting Arizona's controversial new immigration law during a sold-out concert in Phoenix this weekend, the Arizona Republic reported.

"We have to be active. We have to protest. . . . I will yell and I will scream louder," the 24-year-old pop sensation told the sold-out audience at the US Airways Center. "I will hold you, and we will hold each other, and we will peaceably protest this state."

Polls find a majority of Americans support Arizona's SB 1070 law, which cracks down on illegal immigration, but the law has become a charged issue for critics and supporters alike.

A federal judge blocked the part of the law - which went into effect July 29 - that allowed police to detain people on suspected of being illegal immigrants as a violation of the constitutional ban on unreasonable search and seizure.

During Saturday's concert, Lady Gaga told the crowd about a boy she met earlier in the day who's home was raided over "a parking ticket or something," and whose brother was deported to Mexico, the newspaper reported.

Calling the case "disgusting," the star, whose real name is Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta, dedicated the song "You and I" to the boy.

"I think it's important that people understand that it's a state of emergency for this place and this state," she said.

more at the link

another link on her drug use and such

http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2010/08/02/lady-gaga-admits-to-using-cocaine-on-occasion/?hpt=T2

boxcar
08-02-2010, 06:13 PM
Yelling and screaming would certainly be consistent with the probable low level of her I.Q. As a bimbo leftist, she should be able to handle that just fine. :rolleyes:

Boxcar

Bettowin
08-02-2010, 06:13 PM
Madonna and Gene Simmons had a child and I missed it :confused:

bigmack
08-02-2010, 06:17 PM
Saw Elton John the other night. Here's what he has to say about Arizona.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/8_2_10_15_15_56.jpg

Fwizard
08-02-2010, 07:16 PM
Let's see this is the same Lady Gaga , who in an interview in Vanity Fair, said "I am afraid of sex because the person I sleep with may steal my creativity via my vagina..." ---this is the type of person who should always express their views.--lol

ArlJim78
08-02-2010, 07:36 PM
Its Idiocracy in action. She's the prototypical progressive. Vain, self-absorbed, stupid, compliant.

TJDave
08-02-2010, 09:37 PM
this is the type of person who should always express their views.--lol

More fuel for the fire. There's an election in November. Keep your eyes on the prize. ;)

JustRalph
08-02-2010, 11:18 PM
I miss the days When Springsteen would just shut up an sing

Anybody with a Guitar and a Microphone now wants to be a politician in between their songs.........

highnote
08-02-2010, 11:41 PM
I like Lady Gaga. She is influenced by Madonna, but so what. The Beatles and Beach Boys were influenced by Chuck Berry. Chuck Berry was influenced by the blues and gospel before him. That's how artists grow.

She's an exciting artist -- I love seeing her wear her latest fashions. Very fun stuff. I think she has a better voice than Madonna -- but that may not be saying much. :D

I love her telephone video. Caution -- it may be too spicey for some!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVBsypHzF3U

DJofSD
08-02-2010, 11:59 PM
Diana Krall in a heart beat over lady makes-me-wanna-gag.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVCgf6_M7i4

highnote
08-03-2010, 12:00 AM
Love this shot:

highnote
08-03-2010, 12:03 AM
You've been a bad girl, Gaga...

highnote
08-03-2010, 12:05 AM
Love the hair...

highnote
08-03-2010, 12:18 AM
Diana Krall in a heart beat over lady makes-me-wanna-gag.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVCgf6_M7i4

Krall has a lot of talent. Hard to compare this video of Krall's to Gaga since they're so different. Your post made me want to see some more of Krall.

I like this one of Krall's -- "Walk on By" -- but still prefer Dionne Warwick's voice.

No doubt Krall's got talent. What I like about Gaga is that she is new and fresh -- her fashion may be a quantum leap, but her music is not quite as advanced -- but she should get better as time goes on.

The songs I've heard Krall do have all been done before, but she is easy to listen to.

They're both good in their own ways.

Rookies
08-03-2010, 09:09 PM
Anybody with a Guitar and a Microphone now wants to be a politician in between their songs.........

Some of the greatest and most renown singers of our time are/were JR: Neil Young, U2, Marley, Jefferson Airplane, Dylan, Baez, etc. etc,

And 'natch, the vast majority are on the left.;)

However, if I feel that some 23 year old doesn't know shite about world politics, nor any history of oppression, but is trying to curry favour with the protest of the month winds, I feel like yelling : SHUT UP & SING !

jballscalls
08-03-2010, 09:17 PM
people don't become artists cause they want to shut up and sing. these are people who are performers and mouthpieces by nature.

the need to get on stage and be heard is part of their make up and they desire that ability to have a forum to speak too.

i cant think of any performers who dont make statements when on stage either via song or between songs

bigmack
08-03-2010, 09:20 PM
Some of the greatest and most renown singers of our time are/were Baez
Baez; as in Joan Baez?

Let me think of an analogy for the sound of Joan's voice. Ah. Fingernails scratching a chalkboard while Fran Drescher laughs, Gilbert Gottfried hollers and William Hung croons "If You Think I'm Sexy" in the background.

Rookies
08-03-2010, 09:40 PM
Baez; as in Joan Baez?

Let me think of an analogy for the sound of Joan's voice. Ah. Fingernails scratching a chalkboard while Fran Drescher laughs, Gilbert Gottfried hollers and William Hung croons "If You Think I'm Sexy" in the background.

MY list is also longevity, BM. No 1 low hit wonders, those.

Voices are in the tin ear of the beholder. One man's Pava-Roti is anothers' stray dog yelping at madnight to get in...

sandpit
08-03-2010, 11:14 PM
people don't become artists cause they want to shut up and sing. these are people who are performers and mouthpieces by nature.

the need to get on stage and be heard is part of their make up and they desire that ability to have a forum to speak too.

i cant think of any performers who dont make statements when on stage either via song or between songs

You may be right about most of them, but in the many years of following Led Zeppelin during their wildly successful career, I never once heard anything political in their music, or in Robert Plant's ramblings between songs in concert. There is a song on their 3rd album called That's The Way, which supposedly written about the state of America at the time, but it was so hippy-dippy sounding with a nice little melody that it's pretty tough to take it seriously as a testament to or about anything.

JustRalph
08-03-2010, 11:42 PM

I am old enough (just barely ) to remember when artists didn't preach. I saw many many concerts in the 70's and nobody acted political on stage. I remember the Woodstock types who all had to make some damn statement about vietnam, but that was it.

jballscalls
08-04-2010, 01:23 AM
I am old enough (just barely ) to remember when artists didn't preach. I saw many many concerts in the 70's and nobody acted political on stage. I remember the Woodstock types who all had to make some damn statement about vietnam, but that was it.

they were all too stoned to care about politics!

jballscalls
08-04-2010, 01:25 AM
You may be right about most of them, but in the many years of following Led Zeppelin during their wildly successful career, I never once heard anything political in their music, or in Robert Plant's ramblings between songs in concert. There is a song on their 3rd album called That's The Way, which supposedly written about the state of America at the time, but it was so hippy-dippy sounding with a nice little melody that it's pretty tough to take it seriously as a testament to or about anything.

thats cause they ripped most of their songs from blues guys from years before

JustRalph
09-12-2010, 01:47 AM
These paid writers really have to stop stealing my schtick!!

Camille Paglia is not Gaga for Gaga

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/public/magazine/article389697.ece

from the link:

Gaga has borrowed so heavily from Madonna (as in her latest video-Alejandro) that it must be asked, at what point does homage become theft? However, the main point is that the young Madonna was on fire. She was indeed the imperious Marlene Dietrich’s true heir. For Gaga, sex is mainly decor and surface; she’s like a laminated piece of ersatz rococo furniture. Alarmingly, Generation Gaga can’t tell the difference. Is it the death of sex? Perhaps the symbolic status that sex had for a century has gone kaput; that blazing trajectory is over…

Gaga seems comet-like, a stimulating burst of novelty, even though she is a ruthless recycler of other people’s work. She is the diva of déjà vu. Gaga has glibly appropriated from performers like Cher, Jane Fonda as Barbarella, Gwen Stefani and Pink, as well as from fashion muses like Isabella Blow and Daphne Guinness. Drag queens, whom Gaga professes to admire, are usually far sexier in many of her over-the-top outfits than she is.

Peeping dourly through all that tat is Gaga’s limited range of facial expressions. Her videos repeatedly thrust that blank, lugubrious face at the camera and us; it’s creepy and coercive. Marlene and Madonna gave the impression, true or false, of being pansexual. Gaga, for all her writhing and posturing, is asexual. Going off to the gym in broad daylight, as Gaga recently did, dressed in a black bustier, fishnet stockings and stiletto heels isn’t sexy – it’s sexually dysfunctional.

Robert Goren
09-12-2010, 08:09 AM
I am old enough (just barely ) to remember when artists didn't preach. I saw many many concerts in the 70's and nobody acted political on stage. I remember the Woodstock types who all had to make some damn statement about vietnam, but that was it. You must be lot older than me. I remember people like Frank Sinatra using their star status to promote civil rights. It would be really hard to find an entertainer who did not take a stand on Vietnam one way or the other.

highnote
09-12-2010, 08:29 AM
Camille Paglia is not Gaga for Gaga
http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/public/magazine/article389697.ecefrom the link:
Gaga has borrowed so heavily from Madonna (as in her latest video-Alejandro) that it must be asked, at what point does homage become theft?

The early Beatles, Stones and Beach Boys music ... they all stole from (I mean, were influenced by) Chuck Berry, etc. But they all became top notch songwriters eventually. "My Sweet Lord" sounds like "He's So Fine", but George Harrison swore he didn't steal it. How many contemporary songwriters have stolen from the Beatles? Go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art and look at the Impressionists, for example. These artists all borrowed from each other. This the natural progression of an artist.

Hell, even Beethoven wrote music that was influenced by Bach and Handel:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludwig_van_Beethoven
"Late works
Beethoven began a renewed study of older music, including works by J. S. Bach and Handel, that were then being published in the first attempts at complete editions. He composed the Consecration of the House Overture, which was the first work to attempt to incorporate his new influences."

BlueShoe
09-12-2010, 09:12 AM
Baez; as in Joan Baez?
Ah yes, now there is a bad taste blast from the past. Remember Al Capp and his often satyrical comic strip Lil Abner? He had great fun lampooning Baez. Still get a chuckle when recalling his "Joanie Phony and her ten thousand dollars worth of protest songs" barbs that he sunk in her. :D

highnote
09-12-2010, 11:00 AM
I have to admit I could never listen to Baez for more than 5 seconds.

highnote
09-12-2010, 11:02 AM

The same is true with politicians -- they are performers and mouthpieces who need to get on stage and be heard.

Robert Goren
09-12-2010, 11:15 AM
Most people have no objection to entertainers expressing political views as long as they agree with them. I never once heard a person objecting to Barbara Streisand objecting to Charlton Heston at the same time or vice versa. I think most of them are preaching to choir anyway. I don't think they change anyone's minds.

JustRalph
09-12-2010, 11:39 AM
I have to admit I could never listen to Baez for more than 5 seconds.

Me too! Never saw the appeal.

I have Chuck Berry's "Great 28" on the Ipad and in about 3 other places. Bob Seger says that there hasn't been an original guitar player since Chuck Berry and references this in a couple of his songs.

"All of Chuck's children are out there playing his licks"
-Bob Seger, "Rock 'n' Roll Never Forgets"

GameTheory
09-12-2010, 11:47 AM
Most people have no objection to entertainers expressing political views as long as they agree with them. I never once heard a person objecting to Barbara Streisand objecting to Charlton Heston at the same time or vice versa. I think most of them are preaching to choir anyway. I don't think they change anyone's minds.I do. It is what you might call an "abuse of celebrity" to think that just because we recognize them their opinions are somehow more notable than anyone else that they should go around trumpeting them and telling everyone else what to think. There are exceptions of course, and some people do have true expertise and knowledge and get involved enough to be more than a mouthpiece (like Heston). And of course some artists are overtly political and that's their work. Fine. But when I turn on the TV and they have a panel of random celebrities debating political issues -- WHY? Most of these people don't know nuthin bout nuthin.

Tom
09-12-2010, 01:29 PM
I can't imagine want to take credit for Gaga's act! :eek:

Joan Baez - I really liked back in my liberal days.
The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down.......still like that one.

BlueShoe
09-15-2010, 06:57 PM
I really liked back in my liberal days.
Tom was once a liberal? :eek: Who would have thunk it?:confused: Well, like the old saying goes, often a reformed sinner makes the best preacher. :ThmbUp:

JustRalph
09-17-2010, 07:03 PM
Now she is doing political videos

GG5VK2lquEc

Tom
09-17-2010, 11:59 PM
Was she wearing her meat suit or did you finally eat it.
Wait, don't tell!

Robert Goren
09-18-2010, 07:41 AM
I can't imagine want to take credit for Gaga's act! :eek:

Joan Baez - I really liked back in my liberal days.
The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down.......still like that one.Joan Baez put out some really great albums for Vanguard. They had a lot of traditional folk music on them. My grandfather loved her. He was about as non political as you could get.

GaryG
09-18-2010, 08:10 AM
Joan Baez put out some really great albums for Vanguard. They had a lot of traditional folk music on them. My grandfather loved her. He was about as non political as you could get.I thought she was great, same way I felt about Phil Ochs. I had no problem with their politics as long as they produced quality music. One of my favorites is a song Dylan never recorded called Percy's Song. She sings part of it in the great Pennebaker flick Don't Look Back. Looking Donovan in the eye, Dylan sings "take what you have gathered from COINCIDENCE"...

JustRalph
09-18-2010, 05:05 PM
just got a new radio in my truck. it has all the fancy stuff including bluetooth and two usb ports. I have a USB port in the glove box. Copied over 5000 high quality MP3's to it. yesterday I was browsing through and realize I have Joan Baez greatest hits or something like that. Who the hell knows where I got it. Listened to a few of them. She could actually sing pretty damn well. A couple of those songs were pretty good. But let's face it.......this Gaga Crap (and I have only heard a few songs, so I might be talking out of school here) is pure "commercial" music. I have a thing for accidental hits. B Sides that became popular and stuff like that. Those days are gone

highnote
09-19-2010, 12:23 AM
But let's face it.......this Gaga Crap (and I have only heard a few songs, so I might be talking out of school here) is pure "commercial" music.

You're right. She is very commercial. She even does product placement in her videos.

I always respected the Beatles because they wouldn't allow their music to be used for most commercial purposes (maybe no commercial purposes?).

I was disappointed when McCartney started touring and let Visa or MasterCard (I forget which) sponsor his tours. That never would have happened at their peak and in the decade or two that followed.