PDA

View Full Version : Circuits?

MattB62
08-02-2010, 03:33 PM
I see references to circuits, as in "New York Circuit", Northern California Circuit", "Maryland Circuit", "Ohio Circuit". Is that some sort of official thing, informal and what is the meaning, context? I mean, there's supposed to be a New England Circuit, but there is only one track in NE that I know of, Suffolk Downs.

If circuits mean anything, which are considered to have the best racing?

Bruddah
08-02-2010, 04:30 PM
The term racing circuit is not as applicable today as it was in the 60's 70's 80's and somewhat through the 90's. Tracks had racing dates which ran concurrently in different regions. Hence a term like midwest circuit, where a trainer would start at Oaklawn or Fair Grounds then go to Keeneland and Churchill. They would follow a track circuit depending upon their owners and capability of stock. It still applies somewhat today, but primarily for the smaller size outfits with less resources. The largerr trainers with better horses tend to run several circuits and interchange stock from one to another.

elhelmete
08-02-2010, 04:35 PM
The New England circuit used to involve Suffolk, Rockingham, and to some degree Narraganset and I think NoHo and the other fairs. They would trade std bred dates too including Foxboro/Bay State and maybe Hinsdale, Scarboro, etc. as well.