PDA

View Full Version : Banner Haskell Day At Monmouth

David-LV
08-01-2010, 10:13 PM
A crowd of 40,904 enjoyed a great day of racing today and a great race call of The Haskell from one of the very best, Larry Collmus.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/58189/haskell-no-hassle-for-lookin-at-lucky

excerpt:

Monmouth set an all-time record for Haskell handle of $4,463,736. The total handle for the 14-race card was $17,442,170, second highest ever for a non-Breeders’ Cup program, and just a shade under the 2008 mark of $17,642,955, when $4,257,409 was bet on the Haskell.

"We couldn’t have asked for a better day,” said Dennis R. Robinson, president and CEO of the New Jersey Sports & Exposition Authority. “Racing, wagering and attendance, it was an across-the-board winner. The fans really came out for a great day and an exceptional race."

Kimsus
08-01-2010, 10:26 PM
What was Saratoga's? I have a feeling we have seen this movie before. But that's an outstanding showing from Monmouth today, they have pushed all the right buttons this year.

alhattab
08-01-2010, 10:37 PM
What was Saratoga's? I have a feeling we have seen this movie before. But that's an outstanding showing from Monmouth today, they have pushed all the right buttons this year.

About $16.3 million

David-LV
08-01-2010, 10:38 PM

Saratoga also had another banner day of excellent racing and big numbers with a crowd of 22,190 and a total handle from all sources of $16,132,653 for their 10 race card.

_________
David-LV

Kimsus
08-01-2010, 10:42 PM
That's great for the game and it's fans. Wish it could be like this year round, it would make the game a whole lot more palatable. :ThmbUp:

David-LV
08-01-2010, 10:51 PM
That's great for the game and it's fans. Wish it could be like this year round, it would make the game a whole lot more palatable. :ThmbUp:

I often wonder what happens to the crowd the next day.

Where do all the people go and why don't they come back after having such a good experience on the special days of racing?

It really is puzzling to me. :confused:

_________
David-LV

alhattab
08-01-2010, 10:58 PM

Where do all the people go and why don't they come back after having such a good experience on the special days of racing?

_________
David-LV

It is? Well, let's see. A few years ago when Big Brown was going for the Triple Crown, the bathrooms stopped working and there was piss all over the floors. Today at Monmouth one of the main bathrooms on the ground level had piss all over the floor. Sometimes they run out of paper towels with nobody nearby to provide new ones. Then if they can get past that, when they come back the racing sucks and the product is completely different from the one they saw on the Big Day.

InsideThePylons-MW
08-01-2010, 11:03 PM

_________
David-LV

98% of them lost money due to 25%-26% takeout rates and high costs associated with the privilege to lose that money (parking, admission, programs/forms, refreshments, etc.).

When they get home and realize how much they are stuck, they soon realize they can only afford to go back once or twice a year.

InsideThePylons-MW
08-01-2010, 11:05 PM
It is? Well, let's see. A few years ago when Big Brown was going for the Triple Crown, the bathrooms stopped working and there was piss all over the floors. Today at Monmouth one of the main bathrooms on the ground level had piss all over the floor. Sometimes they run out of paper towels with nobody nearby to provide new ones. Then if they can get past that, when they come back the racing sucks and the product is completely different from the one they saw on the Big Day.

That too!

Couple that with the other reasons above and it's amazing anybody ever comes back.

Rutgers
08-01-2010, 11:16 PM
It looks like they were short on the $250K Guaranteed Pick-5. Though I have not seen anything on it. It just seems odd to me the pool was an even $250K.

Kimsus
08-01-2010, 11:18 PM

_________
David-LV

I would be happy if some of these fans develop an appetite for wagering, I think it's probably abit unrealistic to have them start coming to the track 3 times a week, however if they do come once week/every 2 weeks, start betting online, then the game will be better off with this type of exposure. Any good Business model inevitably survives and thrives on it's repeat clientele.

WinterTriangle
08-01-2010, 11:41 PM
A crowd of 40,904 enjoyed a great day of racing today

Nice try David, but as you can see, it's not about enjoyment, nice weather, wonderful thoroughbreds, and a great day at the track for some......instead, it becomes a competititon between tracks and who had the most people and handle. :bang:

It's so great to live in a free country, have enough $ to afford an outing, and the good health to allow leaving the house and the freedom of choice to go, bet, or not. We all have so much to be grateful for.

jelly
08-01-2010, 11:55 PM
It looks like they were short on the $250K Guaranteed Pick-5. Though I have not seen anything on it. It just seems odd to me the pool was an even $250K.

Agree,I don't know why they added a pk4 in the middle of the pk5.

It didn't make any sense.

PaceAdvantage
08-02-2010, 12:11 AM
Nice try David, but as you can see, it's not about enjoyment, nice weather, wonderful thoroughbreds, and a great day at the track for some......instead, it becomes a competititon between tracks and who had the most people and handle. :bang:You really ought to give this "board criticism" a rest. If you don't like the environment here, I'm sure there are other horse racing message boards out there that will give you the atmosphere you are seeking.

I know you don't like it when folks come into your threads and criticize you for posting a certain way or on a certain topic. Yet you are doing exactly that right here...

WinterTriangle
08-02-2010, 03:17 AM
response is in PM. :)

lamboguy
08-02-2010, 07:48 AM
i was in monmouth for my yearly apearance. the place was packed around the grandstand. i was in the trophy room and teletheatre. my wife and i honestly had a great time yesterday. monmouth tries harder than any other race track that i have ever been. the people that i met there were all happy with the day that they spent at the races. it seems like if you put on a great show, you will have people showing up. i just question the price it takes to put on the show vs. the return. what is still needed is more money being piled into the mutual pools.

its a pretty expensive day for a customer to walk through the door there as welll and spend the day. they charged $10 for valet parking, they would not let me park in the owners lot because i didn't have a horse running yesterday there. the programs were $3.00 according to my wife, i spent $6.50 on a racing form. the teletheatre charged me $15.00 for a seat. a beer was $6.50, and the salad i bought was $14.00. personally for a one day event it was worth every single penny, even though i had a problem handicapping in all the noise in the place. out of a 14 race card for which i stayed 12 of them, i only bet 3 races seriously in monmouth, and 1 in saratoga. the other 3 races i bet ionly wagered $10 wps. i bet alll my wagers with an adw over the phone. and that was my day, i waited for about an hour for my car to arive from valet, and we drove in traffic back up to boston. we got home around 2:00 a.m.

onefast99
08-02-2010, 10:00 AM
i waited for about an hour for my car to arive from valet, and we drove in traffic back up to boston. we got home around 2:00 a.m.

Hopefully you didn't hit any bad weather!
http://www.visualjokes.com/d/driver.html (http://www.visualjokes.com/d/driver.html)

Stevie Belmont
08-02-2010, 01:03 PM
I would say the attendance at Monmouth was a bit inflated. There were a good number of spinners with the hat give-a-away. I would say the number is bit closer to 37,000.

Spendabuck85
08-02-2010, 01:33 PM

From drf.com:
Today's Pick 5 pool was guaranteed to be $250,000, and the betting came up a little short, at around $243,000, with Monmouth Park kicking in the difference

Full article at:
http://www.drf.com/blogs/monmouth-guarantee-comes-handy

Beachbabe
08-02-2010, 04:50 PM
i was in monmouth for my yearly apearance. the place was packed around the grandstand. i was in the trophy room and teletheatre. my wife and i honestly had a great time yesterday. monmouth tries harder than any other race track that i have ever been. the people that i met there were all happy with the day that they spent at the races. it seems like if you put on a great show, you will have people showing up. i just question the price it takes to put on the show vs. the return. what is still needed is more money being piled into the mutual pools.

its a pretty expensive day for a customer to walk through the door there as welll and spend the day. they charged $10 for valet parking, they would not let me park in the owners lot because i didn't have a horse running yesterday there. the programs were $3.00 according to my wife, i spent $6.50 on a racing form. the teletheatre charged me $15.00 for a seat. a beer was $6.50, and the salad i bought was $14.00. personally for a one day event it was worth every single penny, even though i had a problem handicapping in all the noise in the place. out of a 14 race card for which i stayed 12 of them, i only bet 3 races seriously in monmouth, and 1 in saratoga. the other 3 races i bet ionly wagered $10 wps. i bet alll my wagers with an adw over the phone. and that was my day, i waited for about an hour for my car to arive from valet, and we drove in traffic back up to boston. we got home around 2:00 a.m.

WOW, I'd hate to see what you would call a lousey time !

Cardus
08-02-2010, 05:28 PM
You really ought to give this "board criticism" a rest. If you don't like the environment here, I'm sure there are other horse racing message boards out there that will give you the atmosphere you are seeking.

I know you don't like it when folks come into your threads and criticize you for posting a certain way or on a certain topic. Yet you are doing exactly that right here...

Sharp post.

JustRalph
08-02-2010, 05:35 PM
new rule...........anybody with a PA handle that Ends in "Babe" needs to post an Avatar of themselves .........no exceptions ;)

Lambo,,,,,,,,,,,,your post is making Laurel look pretty damn nice.

I visited Laurel last weekend and it was very very nice. The Staff was great, clean facility and good crowd. I would recommend it. Decent prices at Laurel $5 for valet parking, 4.50 beers and 2.50 hot dogs and looks like they have upgraded the facilities.

point given
08-02-2010, 07:16 PM

I made my $12 contribution on track and was live into the 4th leg when the :7: decided to dump his jock out of the gate and the:9: came up a length shy, hit the last leg on a singleton too. And until the 4th leg i thought maybe my streak of bad luck was behind me. Life goes on............ (sigh) it paid $ 30K with that $85 horse .

Rutgers
08-02-2010, 09:11 PM
From drf.com:
Today's Pick 5 pool was guaranteed to be $250,000, and the betting came up a little short, at around $243,000, with Monmouth Park kicking in the difference

Full article at:
http://www.drf.com/blogs/monmouth-guarantee-comes-handy

Thanks for the link.

Hopefully they learned a lesson, if they are going to have a guarantee pool-They need to make sure the feature race is included in sequence.

The late Pick 4 ($388,021) easily made guarantee of $250,000. And the UN Day Pick 5 which did reach $250K+ (though not guaranteed) ended with the UN.

njcurveball
08-02-2010, 09:45 PM
I doubt they learned anything. They returned 212,476.25 from a pool of 243,000. Their profit was over 30,000 on the bet. Their take came out to about 12.5%. They didn't lose a dime.

Christie is going to shut them down anyway, so any dime made this year should go into their retirement account. :bang:

Rutgers
08-03-2010, 12:12 AM
I doubt they learned anything. They returned 212,476.25 from a pool of 243,000. Their profit was over 30,000 on the bet. Their take came out to about 12.5%. They didn't lose a dime.

You are probably right in that at the end of the day they ended up in the plus column on the bet. But their profit was nowhere near $30,000. The total takeout on $243,000 is $36,450. Monmouth Park only gets a portion of that, as most of the takeout goes to the off-track entity taking the bet (majority of the handle was off-track), taxes and purses. And the $7,000 or so comes from Monmouth Park themselves unless they had insurance for it.

And regardless of what amount Monmouth Park made on the wager, it is less then what it would have been if the pool was $250K or more.

Beachbabe
08-03-2010, 02:03 PM
new rule...........anybody with a PA handle that Ends in "Babe" needs to post an Avatar of themselves .........no exceptions ;)

Lambo,,,,,,,,,,,,your post is making Laurel look pretty damn nice.

I visited Laurel last weekend and it was very very nice. The Staff was great, clean facility and good crowd. I would recommend it. Decent prices at Laurel $5 for valet parking, 4.50 beers and 2.50 hot dogs and looks like they have upgraded the facilities.

I tried, but every picture (even as small as I could crop it),I was told "too large". Other forums took the pics, but not this one.

JustRalph
08-03-2010, 03:31 PM
I tried, but every picture (even as small as I could crop it),I was told "too large". Other forums took the pics, but not this one.

you have to size it to 100 x 100 pixels or smaller also

Beachbabe
08-03-2010, 07:02 PM
you have to size it to 100 x 100 pixels or smaller also

Thats what I can't do.
I'm not real computer savvy ....doh :confused:

Jasonm921
08-03-2010, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the link.

Hopefully they learned a lesson, if they are going to have a guarantee pool-They need to make sure the feature race is included in sequence.

The late Pick 4 ($388,021) easily made guarantee of $250,000. And the UN Day Pick 5 which did reach $250K+ (though not guaranteed) ended with the UN.

Yeah this baffled me. That is the signature bet and they left out the Haskell? Anyway it was a very nice day down there....although Saratoga in the high 70's and sunny the day before was a bit nicer. Saratoga is still Saratoga but I enjoy Monmouth as well.

PS My photos are up from this weekend. http://www.flickr.com/photos/easygoer/

JustRalph
08-04-2010, 12:49 AM
Thats what I can't do.
I'm not real computer savvy ....doh :confused:

check your PM's

WinterTriangle
08-04-2010, 03:03 AM
Christie is going to shut them down anyway

Well, they are trying to practice some kind of good experiment during their last gasp ( if it is).........free admission to grandstand/clubhouse and free programs this Sunday. :) It's nice once in a while to see these things.

The_Knight_Sky
08-04-2010, 09:28 AM
.........free admission to grandstand/clubhouse and free programs this Sunday.

That's a start. But I would rather have them use last weekend's crowd
and hand them instructional leaflets on the way out of the track.

These leaflets would contain links on the web to Horse Racing News websites, Handicapping Help and resources on the history of Horse Racing itself.

http://i35.tinypic.com/i1l81t.jpg (http://theknightskyracing.blogspot.com/2010/08/haskell-experience-scenes-from-ground.html)

full post + video clip:
http://theknightskyracing.blogspot.com/2010/08/haskell-experience-scenes-from-ground.html

onefast99
08-04-2010, 02:54 PM
That's a start. But I would rather have them use last weekend's crowd
and hand them instructional leaflets on the way out of the track.

These leaflets would contain links on the web to Horse Racing News websites, Handicapping Help and resources on the history of Horse Racing itself.
Do you think they want to do anything else at this point to bring people to the track? The Governor was at the Haskell hiding in the Parterre box knowing full well that there would be a huge chorus of boos if he dare go into the winners circle and hand the connections of Lookin at Lucky the coveted Haskell trophy. Instead a nice diversionary tactic of sorts was used by ESPN/ABC having former race car driver Mario Andretti give a hand with the winners circle celebration, he even went out and brought Lookin at Lucky into the winners circle! As this was going on Governor Christi watched from three floors above. Based on this cowardly move, and nothing less, it is evident to me the Governor could care less about racing in NJ!

The_Knight_Sky
08-04-2010, 08:28 PM
Do you think they want to do anything else at this point to bring people to the track?

I think that's a sincere question. So I'd emphatically say yes!
But I think the budget and manpower for marketing is limited for this meet.

However, I do not think it is all that expensive to print on one page a list of websites to check out for horse racing / handicapping information and place them around the track and at the exits. By doing that you're dealing with potential long term clientele that are already interested in horse racing / on-track experience.

Monmouth Park should be planting the seeds for next year with a goal of 10,000 fans during every day of the meet. Eventually they'll reach $1 million in daily on-track handle with a re-established fan base.

With everyone at Monmouth working so hard since late March
and having come this far, it is just not wise to let these minnows get away.

Instead a nice diversionary tactic of sorts was used by ESPN/ABC having former race car driver Mario Andretti give a hand with the winners circle celebration, he even went out and brought Lookin at Lucky into the winners circle!

Yes.
Mario Andretti was pretty much the star of the winners circle and even before that. Evidence:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4137/4853842735_c292ff065a.jpg
pic courtesy: TKS racing blog (http://www.flickr.com/photos/the_knight_sky/4853842735/)

GaryG
08-04-2010, 08:33 PM
There are 160 horses entered in the 12 races on Friday. Only 2 of them are for J-breds.

The_Knight_Sky
08-05-2010, 08:58 AM
The fun won't stop this weekend either.
Should be interesting to see the per capita for Sunday's card, due to this event:

http://i35.tinypic.com/64jdau.jpg