PDA

View Full Version : DRF.com - new and improved?

horses4courses
08-01-2010, 05:11 PM
As online horseplayers, drf.com is a daily staple for most of us.

They recently updated their website.

Do you like the new version?

My first impressions are not favorable, but maybe it's teething troubles.

garyoz
08-01-2010, 09:25 PM
IMHO a much improved site. Makes it a destination for accessible & interesting information instead of just a place to access Formulator. I have not made much use of their web content--although back in the day I used to read the paper product cover to cover. For example having a visible link the charts and videos of stakes races on the home page is really useful. I never bothered to try to find the links in the past.

Users hate change--I think horseplayers are particularly reactionary.

therussmeister
08-01-2010, 09:50 PM
It sucks for reading news. Other than that I'm ambivalent.

Fingal
08-02-2010, 10:35 AM
Like anything new, it'll take some time to find one's way around, & until then I'm kinda ambivalent. But I understand why they did it- In business you don't want to stagnate, one needs to innovate or be overtaken by your competitors.
(Aka BRIS, Trackmaster, etc. )

redeye007
08-02-2010, 01:43 PM
They want me to log in just to view results and entries. Looks like they're phishing :ThmbDown:

Bruddah
08-02-2010, 03:14 PM
A suggestion for the DRF mgmt. team. The DRF has gone through many changes in form and style the last ten years. All to improve its' on line audience market. (Note) All attempts have failed miserably, including this latest attempt. Millions of dollars spent for more and more mediocrity.

Now pay attention mgmt., here's your answer. Make your on line version just like your print version. :eek: :eek: The fans love the print version but hate your on line version. Stop trying to reinvent the wheel and start trying to build your web site with the look and "feel" of the paper version and keep the best of the on line version. Until you learn to wrap the old around the best of the new....fahh git bout it!!

garyoz
08-02-2010, 03:26 PM
They want me to log in just to view results and entries. Looks like they're phishing :ThmbDown:

No they don't. They are free and don't require log-in. (And I don't want to be put in a position of defending DRF--just getting the facts straight)

And BTW, the standard definition of Phishing is an e-mail fraud scam conducted for the purposes of information or identity theft.

jelly
08-02-2010, 08:20 PM
No they don't. They are free and don't require log-in. (And I don't want to be put in a position of defending DRF--just getting the facts straight)

And BTW, the standard definition of Phishing is an e-mail fraud scam conducted for the purposes of information or identity theft.

I just tried to get the entries and they wanted me to log-in. :ThmbDown:

Pace Cap'n
08-02-2010, 08:57 PM

Me too. They always have.

garyoz
08-02-2010, 09:19 PM
Don't get it. Honestly, I'm not asked to log in nor do they automatically log me in. Is this cookie driven?

Indulto
08-02-2010, 10:33 PM
Don't get it. Honestly, I'm not asked to log in nor do they automatically log me in. Is this cookie driven?I think once you apply for a free subscriptuon, and then log-in to establish a cookie, you are not asked to log-in when accessing news, entries, and results unless it's a piece (like a Davidowitz article) that requires a DRF plus subscription (which also comes with PP subscriptions).

For some reason the new version keeps displaying new drop-down lists after I make a selection and they hide the selected information until I scroll downward.. Not crazy about the new fonts, either, but I can see where new users might take to the revised site more readily, especially since they aren't used to getting to the same places with fewer mouse clicks,

chickenhead
08-02-2010, 10:42 PM
I used some jacked up username and pw that I can never remember (hmmm where else have I done that?) for DRF, that combined with my overall laziness and lack of caring means they are dead to me.

KingChas
08-03-2010, 03:13 AM
As from previous post's,some know I use Formulator 4.1 direct(Off drf website).
I just went 8 days without being able to access it,freeze up city.
After many letters to customer service,no fix,they said problem was on my end after all these years of no problems.
So taking it upon myself I used system restore,pre-drf upgrade approx 7/27/10 that I knew of.
Doing this corrupted my anti virus had to reinstall it.
Redownloaded 4.1.1 formulator direct also.
After 8 days and the 3 hrs of messing with comp.
Everything is working for now.

PS,Pace we really need a cross your fingers emoticon....(SIC?). :D

SMOO
08-03-2010, 10:28 AM

I use equibase.com for this reason

Beachbabe
08-03-2010, 02:15 PM
Like anything new, it'll take some time to find one's way around, & until then I'm kinda ambivalent. But I understand why they did it- In business you don't want to stagnate, one needs to innovate or be overtaken by your competitors.
(Aka BRIS, Trackmaster, etc. )

They haven't.
They raise the price of the printed version very often. ;)

jelly
08-03-2010, 04:42 PM
They haven't.
They raise the price of the printed version very often. ;)

I wonder what the DRF circulation is down to.Anyone know?

I don't see the DRF at the track as much as I use to.

Iv'e been seeing alot more people with their own printout.

therussmeister
08-03-2010, 08:57 PM
I see a lot of people with the form, and almost no one with their own printout. The form is only $4.50 here.

Indulto
08-03-2010, 09:40 PM
I see a lot of people with the form, and almost no one with their own printout. The form is only $4.50 here.Where is "here?":)

jelly
08-03-2010, 09:40 PM
I see a lot of people with the form, and almost no one with their own printout. The form is only $4.50 here.

$6-$7 here.

JustRalph
08-03-2010, 11:19 PM

I got some good natured heckling for reading PP's on the Ipad at Laurel last weekend..........it was either "good natured" or the guy was drunk.......kinda hard to decide........ :lol: I ignored him

ohbaby
08-04-2010, 12:14 AM
I no longer buy the DRF. They have alot of nerve to charge 6 or 7 dollars print edition, with less racetrack PPs.

Used to be they had 6 or 7 tracks,... now your lucky to get 4 on weekends. So now everytime you get the bible, you have to make sure the track you want to play is in there.

In this age of simulcasting, where you're no longer restricted to playing local tracks, where you can watch and play live races from all over the country,... they have balls to restrict what few tracks they select for print.

I used to buy one every day. Thank God, for the internet, i could still get good PPs. (Bris, Equibase)

BTW, this is my first post and I'm happy to be here. :)

therussmeister
08-04-2010, 05:43 PM
Where is "here?":)
Canterbury Park. Costs more off track, but Canterbury gives you something to compensate for the cost increase if you show a form purchased off track. I don't know what they give you, because I've never done it.

I assume $4.50 is what Canterbury pays for the form, they are selling it for no profit. Plus on Mondays and Tuesdays you get a free coffee or soda with purchase of the form.

garyoz
08-05-2010, 04:14 PM
I got some good natured heckling for reading PP's on the Ipad at Laurel last weekend..........it was either "good natured" or the guy was drunk.......kinda hard to decide........ :lol: I ignored him

Can you access the videos in the Deluxe PP's on the Ipad? I think the videos are flash and not supported correct?

HWright98
08-06-2010, 12:15 AM
$4.50 for a form at the Fair Grounds. I find other past performances to be inferior to the form. Beyer has the best speed figures, but I've also been reading the form since I was six years old and I'm 20 years old now. The familiarity is a plus.

Cratos
08-06-2010, 12:47 PM
I wonder what the DRF circulation is down to.Anyone know?

I don't see the DRF at the track as much as I use to.

Iv'e been seeing alot more people with their own printout.

The jury is still out

proffdw
08-23-2010, 03:51 PM
i don't know what you mean by phishing,but i agree they shouldn't make you sign up just to see entries,and results.i stared betting on the races in 1967 at the old Longacres racetrack in Washington state,and i've read more racing forms than i care to remember.i use to go to the DRF website a lot up until about 2 years ago when they made the first change.i went to the live odds part,and i could put a check mark by 5 different tracks,and it would show the odds for the race that was going at that time.i could also see the will pays which is useful info,but after this first change i tried 4 times to check 5 tracks like it said,but by the time i did,and scrolled down to click on which ever way i wanted to see the odds all the check marks were gone,and it said to click at least one track.this happened each of the 4 times i tried,so i quit.this never happened with the old system.i went there just the other day,and saw that they had made another change,which to me was even more dumb than the other one,and i couldn't even find the live odds.i also remember once after the first change
i called the DRF,and some woman answered the phone.when i told her i was calling about having trouble with the live odds she acted like she was
mad because i had called,and disturbed her,as if she wasn't supposed to do
anything but sit at some desk,and paint her nails,or take a nap,well that was enough for me only a crappy outfit would have someone like that
working for them. that's my say,and it's all true.

positive4th
08-25-2010, 01:00 PM
Its OK for me, not great, not horrible, but they could have left it as it was and I'd be perfectly fine.

It kinda reminds me of a freshly cleaned house - - deep down you know it was probably a good idea, but now you can't find your keys anywhere :)

Pace Cap'n
08-28-2010, 05:38 PM
I no longer have to log in to view entries and results.