PDA

View Full Version : If I can't beat ya, I'll bite ya!

FantasticDan
08-01-2010, 03:34 PM
Was just watching the stakes race from yesterday's Finger Lakes card:

http://www.fingerlakesracetrack.com/images/RacingArchive.html
7/31, 8th race

and as a relative noob, that's the first instance I've ever seen of one horse trying to bite another, made all the more dramatic as the two were locked in a deep stretch duel..

The inquiry was dropped when the photo showed the bite-ee :1: winning (jeez, he did? that was damn close) over the biter :5: .. but is "savaging" (as tony calo called it) grounds for a horse to be automatically taken down if he had won?

I was kinda surprised the biter was allowed to retain the place.

So have you folks seen this happen from time to time?

JustRalph
08-01-2010, 03:48 PM
Any horse that will do anything to win has got my respect :lol:

I don't know why you would even entertain taking him down from 2nd ?

He didn't do anything to anybody else? And he didn't even get his teeth on the eventual winner, not for a lack of trying though.

Tony Calo sounded great btw. He knows how to make a race sound exciting.

I didn't use to care for him much............ but in small doses....sounded pretty good.

horses4courses
08-01-2010, 04:09 PM
The above mentioned horse, trained in Ireland by Vincent O'Brien in the early 1970s, was a head case and, on at least one occasion, tried to bite another horse during a race. It had been hoped that he would become as successful as his half-brother, Nijinsky, but it never happened.

They fitted him with some type of special headgear, if I recall, but he never lived up to his regal pedigree, and never raced with great success.

His temperament, I am sure, was his downfall. He never became a success at stud, either. An equine juvenile delinquent.

Java Gold@TFT
08-01-2010, 04:58 PM
Eclipse Award winning photo from the 70's simply called "The Savage". I believe it was the Tremont Stakes for 2yo's.

http://images.exclusivelyequine.com/products/big/P50-1531.JPG

jamey1977
08-02-2010, 12:46 AM
The above mentioned horse, trained in Ireland by Vincent O'Brien in the early 1970s, was a head case and, on at least one occasion, tried to bite another horse during a race. It had been hoped that he would become as successful as his half-brother, Nijinsky, but it never happened.

They fitted him with some type of special headgear, if I recall, but he never lived up to his regal pedigree, and never raced with great success.

His temperament, I am sure, was his downfall. He never became a success at stud, either. An equine juvenile delinquent.
Equipoise was legendary for biting any horse who tried to pass him. He was even disqualified for biting another horse during a stretch duel. A horse that would do anything to win, even bite. Now that's a horse to have your money on. As long as he doesn't get D.Qed