PDA

View Full Version : Horrible accident at Hastings today

banacek
07-31-2010, 10:44 PM
I was watching the race online. Horse threw jock as race started. As the other horses went around the first turn I heard this crash in the background and the spectators made a collective groan. Couldn't figure out what it was.

The loose horse's blinkers were displaced when she threw the jock and she was running blind crashing into the winner's circle area hitting a post and dying instantly. A security guard was also injured. The last two races were cancelled.

Just awful.

http://www.globallethbridge.com/Aldergrove+race+horse+dies+Hastings+track/3347748/story.html

The_Knight_Sky
07-31-2010, 10:54 PM
Horrified spectators looked on as Private Mambo clipped her heels shortly after leaving the gate, sending her tumbling face down into the ground and sending her jockey, Giovanni Franco flying. He suffered minor injuries.

Sounds like a bad dream.

The article refers to the starting gate being the catalyst for this incident,
but no word on the specific injuries of the thrown jockey. Hope he didn't get trampled.

HuggingTheRail
07-31-2010, 11:24 PM
I was there today...it definitely ranks in my worst experiences at the track. Best wishes to Dave Dahl, the security guard involved, and Giovanni Franco - a speedy recovery to both.

(Those familiar with Hastings may also know Dave as a trainer of a small stable)

If the horse hadn't clipped the outside fence before crashing into Dave, the whole situation would have been much, much worse

beertapper
07-31-2010, 11:49 PM
thats terrible news...

i was thinkin of heading out there on bc cup day...

kenwoodall2
08-01-2010, 01:21 AM
“I just think of the hundreds of thousands of horses that race everyday and this never happens. It was a completely horrible, freak thing.”

Bruiser1
08-01-2010, 02:00 PM
“I just think of the hundreds of thousands of horses that race everyday and this never happens. It was a completely horrible, freak thing.”

I never thought of Blinkers being dangerous.

kenwoodall2
08-01-2010, 02:30 PM
I never thought of Blinkers being dangerous.
Bit, saddle, blinkers (harness?), what else can slip?

Zippy Chippy
08-01-2010, 02:36 PM
Hope everyone is okay.. what a freak thing!

MEC
08-01-2010, 05:19 PM
Not a good day for trainer Elizabeth Stolzenberg either, one of her two claims this day was the unfortunate horse Private Mambo. 'Racing luck'

macguy
08-01-2010, 07:25 PM
Not a good day for trainer Elizabeth Stolzenberg either, one of her two claims this day was the unfortunate horse Private Mambo. 'Racing luck'

For the price the horse was racing for, I would be very surprised if the connections that claimed that horse didn't buy claim insurance. I think you can get it through the HBPA upon filling out the claim slip, and it only costs something like 1% of the claiming price of the horse. Since the horse died, the people who claimed the horse (if they bought the claim insurance) would have gotten their money back, and the previous owners would still get to keep their claim money.

MEC
08-01-2010, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the info "macguy", wasn't aware of that. Been away from the game for many years, good to know. The trainer and jock from yesterdays disaster hooked up today for a $79 win !!!

Tom
08-02-2010, 12:56 PM
I just read at 46's site that while he was on vacation, the poor guy killed was filing in for him.

He was in the area where 46 usually sits and would have been that day had he been there.

Tim, if you're reading, my sincere condolences on the loss of your friend, but truly I am am happy you were not there. I thought that you might chime in when this thread started, then I remembered you mentioned vacation befroe and never gave it another thought.

beertapper
08-02-2010, 07:04 PM
thankfully, the person injured is recovering in the hospital....

http://hastingspark.com/news/featured/press/pr08021002.aspx

no one died as far as i know, only injuries..??

HuggingTheRail
08-02-2010, 07:11 PM
thankfully, the person injured is recovering in the hospital....

http://hastingspark.com/news/featured/press/pr08021002.aspx

no one died as far as i know, only injuries..??

The latest update is Dave is breathing on his own, and out of intensive care. Continued best wishes for a full and speedy recovery...

Vinnie
08-02-2010, 09:16 PM
The latest update is Dave is breathing on his own, and out of intensive care. Continued best wishes for a full and speedy recovery...

What an incredibly horrific event. It is indeed excellent news to hear that the gentleman (Dave) is breathing on his own and is doing much better. All good karma and thoughts and prayers go out to he and his family. :)

Tom
08-02-2010, 10:06 PM
My bad...I thought I read that he died.
Glad to hear otherwise.