PDA

View Full Version : DRF @ Siros

NYOwner
07-31-2010, 06:44 PM
Does anyone know if the DRF is still doing the Handicapping show at Siro's on race days?

Harvey Pack retired so I'm told? Serling has the NYRA gig. So if they are still having it who is the host and sidekicks?

Has anyone been? The banter between Harvey and Andy made it worth attending for the entertainment alone. Its probably hard to match that. I might have a horse going on the Whitney Stakes under card and I'd be curious what the Pro's think of my chances.

Thank you.

offtrack
07-31-2010, 07:08 PM
Nope, their gone. NYRA does their review in house now.

JustRalph
07-31-2010, 07:28 PM
just finished reading "May the horse be with you" By Pack, on the Kindle.

I wish I would have been able to attend a couple of those days he was at Siro's

Andy, Tell him I woke my wife up laughing at a couple of the characters in his book. She is a little grumpy at 5a on her day off........ :lol:

Edward DeVere
07-31-2010, 08:59 PM
Go to drf.com.

"News" provides several drop-down columns.

In the far right column, you will see "Special Events". Click on "Saratoga 2010" beneath that.

Several webcasts, regularly scheduled, are shown there, including a weekend edition with your boy.

BombsAway Bob
08-01-2010, 01:41 AM
Does anyone know if the DRF is still doing the Handicapping show at Siro's on race days?
Harvey Pack retired so I'm told? Serling has the NYRA gig. So if they are still having it who is the host and sidekicks?
Has anyone been? The banter between Harvey and Andy made it worth attending for the entertainment alone. Its probably hard to match that. I might have a horse going on the Whitney Stakes under card and I'd be curious what the Pro's think of my chances.
Thank you.
Here's Harvey & Dan Illman going over Sun.,Aug.1st SPA Stakes.
http://www1.drf.com/news/article/115208.html

PaceAdvantage
08-01-2010, 03:45 AM
Thanks for the link...either the table is too high or their chairs are too low...just an observation... :lol:

Java Gold@TFT
08-01-2010, 07:17 AM
Yep, as said, Harvey is semi-retired. What used to be at Siro's is now inside at the Carousel and is still hosted by DRF with Andy Serling and most of the usual suspects from DRF, including Crist on the weekends.

I learned a lot growing up from the older "Paddock Club" that Harvey hosted in the Saratoga paddock area in the 70's and 80's. On weekends his guests were Paul Cornman and Andy Beyer who would bicker like husband and wife. When I was 12 I took my grandmother to listen to them and after we left she bought me my first DRF. That was 1975 and I've never looked back. Needless to say Mom and Dad who were more casual fans weren't jumping up and down that their 12 yo son was carrying around a Form. Thanks Harvey.

Grits
08-01-2010, 07:36 AM
I understand NY Owner's question, yet still I'm amazed at the disconnect between such an owner (with a possible runner on the the Whitney undercard, no less) and the horseplayer/handicapping aspect of this game. Particularly the most high profile of public handicappers and shows.

Mindboggling. :faint: This does indicate part of the great problem in our sport. Though, I could certainly be wrong.

Tom
08-01-2010, 03:24 PM
just finished reading "May the horse be with you" By Pack, on the Kindle.

I wish I would have been able to attend a couple of those days he was at Siro's

Andy, Tell him I woke my wife up laughing at a couple of the characters in his book. She is a little grumpy at 5a on her day off........ :lol:

It was always the highlight of my trips. I'd park at Siro's, watch the show (TLG was always good!) and then walk over to the tent.

Linny
08-01-2010, 09:22 PM
I understand NY Owner's question, yet still I'm amazed at the disconnect between such an owner (with a possible runner on the the Whitney undercard, no less) and the horseplayer/handicapping aspect of this game. Particularly the most high profile of public handicappers and shows.

Mindboggling. :faint: This does indicate part of the great problem in our sport. Though, I could certainly be wrong.

Most owners are not horseplayers.

Grits
08-01-2010, 09:31 PM
Obviously, but many don't feel adverse to getting a bet down on their own horse, hence, the desire to know what the pros think of the their chances, and that of the entire field--not only for the purpose of picking up a check, but cashing a ticket as well.

NYOwner
08-01-2010, 11:29 PM
No more Siro's, that's to bad. Things do change, part of life, Serling and Christ at the carousel might be just as enjoyable. I'll probably attend or web cast it from my hotel or at lunch.

The fourth race on Saturday is a MSW, 3YO and up going a mile and an eighth on the turf. If the race were at a track where you knew what was in everybody's barn it would be much easier to gauge your chances for a win.

At Saratoga however, you just don't know. It's possible we catch a turf monster from Europe or South America, others who are going first time dirt to turf, or other wild cards. The race closes Wednesday.

While horse players might be willing to gamble a few hundred dollars on the race, we're putting a $250,000 animal on the line. Who's the bigger gambler?

the little guy
08-01-2010, 11:34 PM
I smell a rat.

I'm guessing I'm not the only one....and I'm also guessing I took the chalk.

PaceAdvantage
08-02-2010, 12:14 AM
No more Siro's, that's to bad. Things do change, part of life, Serling and Christ at the carousel might be just as enjoyable.Now how in the world was Serling able to land an A-list guy like Christ?

Has the Vatican been notified?

bigmack
08-02-2010, 12:34 AM
Now how in the world was Serling able to land an A-list guy like Christ?
Has the Vatican been notified?
Strange days indeed, Most peculiar, mama!

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/marlboromen.jpg

Pack has been/is such a wonderful treat to the game. There's a guy I'd like to have dinner with some time. Clever minds are a delight to be around.

If you haven't Andy, a chronicling of your time with him would be an interesting read.

Round table idea #4: Pack callin' the topics among Beyer, Serling, Crist & CJ

Linny
08-02-2010, 06:57 AM
Obviously, but many don't feel adverse to getting a bet down on their own horse, hence, the desire to know what the pros think of the their chances, and that of the entire field--not only for the purpose of picking up a check, but cashing a ticket as well.

Most owners who bet their horse are doing so more as a "symbol of support" than with any handicapping conviction. They would do so if he was 1-2 or 100-1. How tough the competition looks is irrelevant. If the owner is a bettor then he can get the info about his rivals by reading the PP's and without the advice of public handicappers at a breakfast forum. If he wants that info, now he can go to the Carousel.

westny
08-02-2010, 07:20 AM

I don't think so. A situation where "the rubber meets the sky". :faint:

Grits
08-02-2010, 07:40 AM
Most owners who bet their horse are doing so more as a "symbol of support" than with any handicapping conviction. They would do so if he was 1-2 or 100-1. How tough the competition looks is irrelevant. If the owner is a bettor then he can get the info about his rivals by reading the PP's and without the advice of public handicappers at a breakfast forum. If he wants that info, now he can go to the Carousel.

Yeah, Linny, believe I heard this . . . "a symbol of support" thing last week, much to my dismay.

Grits
08-02-2010, 08:22 AM
I don't think so. A situation where "the rubber meets the sky". :faint:
Westny, I'd not seen this . . . . until now.:eek:

NYOwner wrote: While horse players might be willing to gamble a few hundred dollars on the race, we're putting a $250,000 animal on the line. Who's the bigger gambler?
How can one debate such on a horseracing/handicapping messageboard? I can't; better yet, I'm sorry, I won't. Tlg was correct.