07-31-2010, 09:38 AM
I couldnt help laughing as I watched TVG yesterday. The handicappers were
Ken Rudolph, Mr. B and the always pathetic Sarge. These guys were funnier
than the Three Stooges, with MrB and Sarge rushing to pick every three to
five shot and rudolph lost in space,but what about the novice who tunes in
thinking these guys might have a clue?

eastie
07-31-2010, 09:41 AM
if they ain't flashing, Mr B ain't cashin. Man what a chalk incinerator.

lamboguy
07-31-2010, 10:15 AM
i was friendly with Jimmy the greek Synopolis (snyder). he knew absolutely ZERO about horses or football games. yet he got paid $1 million a year by CBS to come on television and tout his "knowledge", until he self-destructed. he even got paid $25k a year to walk around gulfstream park every day in sneakers. to give jimmy his credit, his lack of knowledge was a plus because he knew he was clueless, but he did know how to surround himself with people that were sharp at the game and that is how he survived for years. his friends were guys like woody stevens, pete anderson, allen jerkins, scotty schulhoffer. there wasn't a day that went by that the greek woke up at 5:00 a.m. to bring these guys donuts and coffee and speak to them to gather info. and boy did the greek make scores with that info. i went with with him to see woody stevens 3 days before the belmont and i asked woody about conquistedor cielo. i asked him if the horse could go a mile and a half. he answered like this, "son, i don't put out no short horses".
jimmy sent me to the window on belmont stakes day, and i was there for about 10 minutes before the race punching tickets! the horse won and paid $10.00.

thaskalos
07-31-2010, 03:18 PM
Not that it matters much...but Jimmy "the Greek's" last name was Synodinos.

When people kidded him about his lack of gambling knowledge...he would say that his real job was promoting sports - and himself...

I remember him telling a group of people that he had done more to promote the sport of football...than O.J. Simpson. (Before Simpson's trial, of course).

On a sad note...Jimmy the Greek and his wife lost 3 of their five kids to cystic fibrosis.

PaceAdvantage
08-01-2010, 02:47 AM
Allen Jerkens

Petty, I know...but the guy is a training legend...give the name the respect that it deserves by spelling it correctly.

sandpit
08-01-2010, 04:46 PM
I met Jimmy the G one day at Calder; he happened to be hanging around some guys I knew. I sat there listening to him regale these guys with all sorts of sports tales, but he was a horrible handicapper; it seemed like every horse he picked was up the track.

pandy
08-01-2010, 10:38 PM
Allen Jerkens, one of the top trainers for 60 years and no drug positives or suspensions. Now that's a trainer. Woody Stephens was also great, as was The Bald Eagle. Now we have these guys who repeatedly get suspended for drugs, and then they are allowed back in a few months later.