PDA

View Full Version : P VAL:I'm changing my opinion

GARY Z
07-31-2010, 06:29 AM
Based upon P Val's body language after winning the 6th race at DMR
last night, I believe this talented Jock has finally proven
to the racing community, and , more importantly to himself,
that he will finally win his battle against drugs etc.

This was a really emotional moment, and I'm wishing him the
best of luck in his return to racing..

:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

horses4courses
07-31-2010, 09:11 AM
Based upon P Val's body language after winning the 6th race at DMR
last night, I believe this talented Jock has finally proven
to the racing community, and , more importantly to himself,
that he will finally win his battle against drugs etc.

This was a really emotional moment, and I'm wishing him the
best of luck in his return to racing..

:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

I saw that race, too.
Good ride, nice win.
His reaction was fun to watch.

Will this lead to better things, and a happy conclusion to P Val's career?
It would be nice to think so. His obvious illness makes me doubt it, though.

How long before he is announced as "off all mounts" for an upcoming race day? There will be some excuse offered as to why he is absent.
Those who know his history will shake their heads.

Can he hang in there, and stay clean? It's going to be a battle.
I really hopes he wins it, and many more races, before he calls it quits.

You have to admire the man's talent. His problems are frightening.

andymays
07-31-2010, 09:14 AM
I had the #1 horse who he caught at the wire. I'm not too thrilled for the guy. ;)

horses4courses
07-31-2010, 10:18 AM
I had the #1 horse who he caught at the wire. I'm not too thrilled for the guy. ;)

I hear you there....that #1 must have been a price....only 2 horses got bet in the race, if I recall, and the 1 wasn't one of them.

I did have P Val's horse , and the favorite (off the board), for the 2nd leg of a 109-1 PK-3 anchored by Unusual Suspect in the Cougar.

I knew he could beat Richard's Kid again, like he did last year, but he ran into a buzzsaw in Temple City. What a day Carla Gaines had - 3 winners.

bigmack
07-31-2010, 11:29 AM
Plonk is none too happy about his return

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/columns/story?columnist=plonk_jeremy&id=5423181

docicu3
07-31-2010, 11:51 AM
Plonk is none too happy about his return

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/columns/story?columnist=plonk_jeremy&id=5423181

Pat's riding again in So. Cal as for whatever reason his suspension was lifted. Ron Ellis basically told the TVG audience last night Pat looked like he was in the best shape of his life and was riding another returning warrior Warren's JB off a long layoff. Clearly P Val was not the favorite but was on the best horse by earnings and wins.

So at the risk of committing a Red Board felony....He was a lock at the top of the stretch with the trip he carved out and the opening he came through, last to first with ease. He will win many more this meet, if form holds as P Val will always get more out of a horse than expected when he himself is focused and healthy. Play him with confidence and lets all cash this opportunity one day at a time for the next 5 weeks.

Sericm
07-31-2010, 12:04 PM
I agree completely with Plonk. You Valenzuela lovers can bet him all you want he'll never get another cent of my money.

Horses for Courses: Got news for you, DRUG ADDICTION is a CHOICE, not an illness. You choose to do drugs or you don't period.

horses4courses
07-31-2010, 01:29 PM
I agree completely with Plonk. You Valenzuela lovers can bet him all you want he'll never get another cent of my money.

Horses for Courses: Got news for you, DRUG ADDICTION is a CHOICE, not an illness. You choose to do drugs or you don't period.

I agree with you.
Once it is a chosen path, it is a disease.
Skip the lecturing.

Fingal
07-31-2010, 02:47 PM
Personal biases at the racetrack are unhealthy for one's bankroll. If Patrick is on the horse I like, he better win. If he's not, he better lose.

cj
07-31-2010, 03:34 PM
I rarely know who is riding my bets, so I won't not bet him. But in a sport that is struggling and has credibility issues, letting this guy ride again is a sad statement.

speed
07-31-2010, 06:20 PM

WOW

thaskalos
07-31-2010, 09:00 PM
Horses for Courses: Got news for you, DRUG ADDICTION is a CHOICE, not an illness. You choose to do drugs or you don't period. Of course it's a choice. And if you should ever get involved in drugs...you can always CHOOSE to quit!

I myself, have quit drugs many times...

Force of One
08-01-2010, 12:20 AM

I was in the same boat with you Andy. I just KNEW he would get that first win back at a crucial time against me. Ruined what would have been my best (betting) day of the year. Ah well.

He seems like a likeable guy and I wish him well, but his credibility is kind of shot. Maybe he can get his act together. In the meantime, I would appreciate if TVG could ease up on the hero worship in the meantime.

macdiarmida
08-01-2010, 12:56 AM
Interesting that he had little or no cred with the big Midwestern and Eastern outfits to get some calls when he was riding in Louisiana, etc. Yet he was embraced with open arms in CA.

Seems the current version of the CHRB is hell-bent to overturn everything that went on before them. Any cred THEY may have had is gone in my book.

It is very stupid for PVal to return to where all his problems started. All his doper friends, dealers and connections were waiting for him and his money to come back, too. So now he has the ability to earn millions to spend on what? He should have gone the Garrett Gomez route and gone to Dubai or tried Europe.

Bettowin
08-01-2010, 01:57 AM
Gomez beat it and has stayed clean to become one of the best again. PVal only took many more times than GG to get clean. Will he stay clean? I don't know what goes on behind the scenes but I really hope he does.

Would I bet on it?

Hell no!!

JustRalph
08-01-2010, 02:31 AM
All his doper friends, dealers and connections were waiting for him and his money to come back, too.

maybe now we know who is giving him the rides ? !!

GARY Z
08-01-2010, 05:28 AM
My earlier and recent posts echo Plonk's . The LA LA
decision,I believe is irreversible.However, if owners and trainers
disagree with this decision,they can choose other jockeys and push
P VAL back to whatever track elects to allow him to
join their jockey colony. Apparently,P Val is getting mounts from
well connected sources despite his issues.

If there is any good story to this decision, any jockey or horseman
using drugs for themselves or horses can visibly determine the difficulty
of getting back into racing EVEN for a famous jockey,

While I believe this Ca ruling was an exception based upon the
talents of this jockey and probably to spice fan interest, I would
hope this decision inspires others to avoid drug usage.

As stated earlier, one famous "born again" Jock is/was Pat Day,
and maybe he and others will (or do)serve as role models for
P Val.

PS if P Val finshed out of the money I hit the the tri and super 4x !!

15/15/482/486 ugh :eek:

Stillriledup
08-01-2010, 06:25 AM
One thing Plonk didnt mention in his piece is that what are the young jocks going to think when they see a guy who keeps screwing up and keeps getting let back. Rules don't matter they're going to say. How can the authorities in Ca be taken seriously when they 'dish out' punishments, fines and suspensions? How can you take them seriously?

JustRalph
08-01-2010, 03:09 PM
One thing Plonk didnt mention in his piece is that what are the young jocks going to think when they see a guy who keeps screwing up and keeps getting let back. Rules don't matter they're going to say. How can the authorities in Ca be taken seriously when they 'dish out' punishments, fines and suspensions? How can you take them seriously?

Interesting point. How do they ever put somebody out in the future?

Equal Protection and treatment is a well known and well used Legal Standard

shouldacoulda
08-02-2010, 07:59 PM
Got news for you, DRUG ADDICTION is a CHOICE, not an illness. You choose to do drugs or you don't period.

Hate to disagree but I also have to ask; did you ever know a drug addict? The initial contact is a choice. However after the addiction takes root, it is very hard to shake. It is the bodies physical craving for the drug besides the psychological dependence. That physical craving never goes away by the way. I take my hat off to anyone who can get clean and STAY clean. Isn't any form of addiction an illness? Alcoholism, gambling, cigarettes, etc. That's why it's so important to keep kids from TRYING drugs. So they don't get hooked.

Sericm
08-03-2010, 02:51 AM
Hate to disagree but I also have to ask; did you ever know a drug addict? The initial contact is a choice. However after the addiction takes root, it is very hard to shake. It is the bodies physical craving for the drug besides the psychological dependence. That physical craving never goes away by the way. I take my hat off to anyone who can get clean and STAY clean. Isn't any form of addiction an illness? Alcoholism, gambling, cigarettes, etc. That's why it's so important to keep kids from TRYING drugs. So they don't get hooked.

YES I HAVE!

I had a brother die at 47 because of drugs. He chose several times after going into rehab to continue on that path. He had a wife an three beautiful daughters and a family that gave him support. Everytime he got out of rehab he went straight to a dealers.

He CHOSE to do this! I smoked two and 1/2 packs a day for 23 years from the time I was 20 until I was 43. I woke up one morning said I'm not going to do this anymore and haven't had a cigarette in 28 years. MIND over MATTER.
It's a CHOICE!

Pace Cap'n
08-03-2010, 08:04 AM
The thing is, no one in their right mind would choose drugs over their family.

Therefore, when he returned to drugs, he was not in his right mind. It was not possible for him to make a choice, as the act of making the correct choice requires a clear mind.

Few families in America today do not have a loved one who has succumbed to drugs. It's not because they all decided to choose drugs over family.

lamboguy
08-03-2010, 08:31 AM
why not just root for the guy and hope he does his best for himself and his family. he is getting old for this game and doesn't have to much left to it. the one thing i really love about PVAL is that he has given his full effort every single time he got on a horse, cheap ones and stake horses. we all make mistakes in our lives. i got arrested in an illegal poker game that i was playing in 35 years ago and the state of florida won't give me an owners license to race horses because of it. i have a license everywhere else though.

thaskalos
08-03-2010, 08:43 PM
The thing is, no one in their right mind would choose drugs over their family.

Therefore, when he returned to drugs, he was not in his right mind. It was not possible for him to make a choice, as the act of making the correct choice requires a clear mind.

Few families in America today do not have a loved one who has succumbed to drugs. It's not because they all decided to choose drugs over family.Have you heard about people having a death wish? Where people just allow themselves to sink to deplorable levels...as if they are trying to find out how low they can get?

That's what addictions are like.

People think that the "addicts" have lost touch with reality...and that they do not know what they are doing, or where their actions are taking them.

Wrong! The addict has the capacity to make the right decision...but he makes the wrong one instead. He KNOWS that he has taken the sure road to ruin...but he goes on anyway.

And when he wakes up...and finds himself sick, broke, alone and despised...he is not surprised in the least.

castaway01
08-03-2010, 09:34 PM
Have you heard about people having a death wish? Where people just allow themselves to sink to deplorable levels...as if they are trying to find out how low they can get?

That's what addictions are like.

People think that the "addicts" have lost touch with reality...and that they do not know what they are doing, or where their actions are taking them.

Wrong! The addict has the capacity to make the right decision...but he makes the wrong one instead. He KNOWS that he has taken the sure road to ruin...but he goes on anyway.

And when he wakes up...and finds himself sick, broke, alone and despised...he is not surprised in the least.

And that has nothing to do with the physical dependence part of it, the withdrawal when you quit using that eats at you every day....it's really a death wish instead? Thanks Doc.

As far as P. Val, I wish him the best but he'd be wise to get as far away from past situations where he used as possible---and I wouldn't think a southern California racetrack would be the best place for him to stay clean.

JustRalph
08-03-2010, 11:43 PM
Why do I read this thread and then want to go out for ice cream or donuts?

thaskalos
08-04-2010, 12:04 AM
And that has nothing to do with the physical dependence part of it, the withdrawal when you quit using that eats at you every day....it's really a death wish instead? Thanks Doc.
There is a big difference between addiction and physical dependence...my friend.

Addiction is a psychological compulsion to use a drug, DESPITE the harm that it causes...and the compulsion persists long after all physical withdrawal symptoms have abated.

And this fact explains the high relapse numbers currently observed...

jamey1977
09-02-2010, 11:22 PM
There is a big difference between addiction and physical dependence...my friend.

Addiction is a psychological compulsion to use a drug, DESPITE the harm that it causes...and the compulsion persists long after all physical withdrawal symptoms have abated.

And this fact explains the high relapse numbers currently observed...
Keep on Keeping on. Patrick Valenzuela, the magic is back. Wire to Wire on- Light Of A Star- 7 to 2 at post and 5 to 2 during the race. Bull. Anyway Patrick is back , I wish him well. When Pat rides everybody wins. Keep on Keeping on. Patrick Valenzuela.

Jeff P
09-02-2010, 11:50 PM
Patrick can keep riding and I hope he manages to stay clean.

Betting his mounts in California?

No mas.

California Racing is dead to me.

-jp

thaskalos
09-03-2010, 12:00 AM
Patrick can keep riding and I hope he manages to stay clean.

Betting his mounts in California?

No mas.

California Racing is dead to me.

-jp

. California racing is dead to me too!

Skanoochies
09-03-2010, 09:05 PM
Does he still have to give a sample of his hair for testing, whenever asked, like he did when last racing in Cal.? :confused:

WeirdWilly
09-04-2010, 02:51 AM
Why do I read this thread and then want to go out for ice cream or donuts?

Mmmmmm, ice cream flavored doughnuts! Covered with ice cream! Served in a bowl made of doughnut!

Would crushed Oreos on top be overkill?