PDA

View Full Version : The Best Picks On The Web!

VetScratch
08-18-2003, 07:54 AM
When foresters replant various species of trees within an aborial region, they want to optimize the uniform spacing between replants. Large test plots are often replanted in regions where heavy logging is permitted or anticipated. Because replanting has constraints with respect to labor costs, quality control considerations seldom exceed uniform standards for implantation technique and replant spacing.

Regrowth measurements from test plots may exhibit distributions that reflect cognitive expectations except for spikes caused by replants that failed or are drastically stunted. Further investigation might reveal that many failures and dwarfs occurred in patches that were planted in unforseen downpour erosion channels or in anomalous pockets of inadequate topsoil. When neither of these circumstances prevail or characterize the region, foresters would like to eliminate or dampen the impact of anomalous failures and dwarfs on statistics intended to evaluate replant spacing. At the same time, the prevailing topology with respect to irrigation and sunlight exposure may produce footprints characterized by rather frequent failures and dwarfs. If the test plot is representative of regional topology, foresters would like to include these representative failures and dwarfs in their statistics.

Thus, while a prison gang might replant a test plot, expert foresters are needed to intelligently sample the results and analyze the statistics.

Since most races conditions are written to promote uniformity, but many horses are trained and ridden by folks who could not succeed in mainstream society, and some horses are compromised by unforeseen circumstances or obscure ailments and injuries, while other horses perform as we might expect when subtle biases are considered... why should it surprise anyone that the best picks on the web are posted at http://www.fs.fed.us/?

Kentucky Bred
08-18-2003, 08:21 AM
VS

Oftentimes the key to effective communication is in brevity and clarity and not in obfuscation.

"The rope burned his hands."

----Ernest Hemingway..."The Old Man and the Sea".

Kentucky Bred

SAL
08-18-2003, 08:25 AM
Huh?

VetScratch
08-18-2003, 09:45 AM
Kentucky Bred,
Oftentimes the key to effective communication is in brevity and clarity and not in obfuscation.
I'll accept most of the blame for obfuscation, but on the brevity issue I did condense the gist of a whole chapter as best I could.

I found a ragged 1963 copy of a teaching handbook for training foresters left behind in a storage nook. It offers tips and advice for dealing with "natural" data phenomena, and the analogy to handicapping seemed obvious.

Now, if I can overcome the obfuscation, tranlating the general concepts into horseracing lingo as "My WHOLE Method" is tempting since the market is apparently wide open. :)

azibuck
08-18-2003, 11:57 AM
Can you imagine reading Faulkner's handicapping method?

JustRalph
08-18-2003, 01:52 PM
Vettie

I knew where it was going and who it was pointed at..........

VetScratch
08-18-2003, 03:42 PM
I figured you would... they didn't criss-cross Ohio with interstates because they wanted the dummies to stop there! :) :)

Whitehos
08-19-2003, 02:19 PM
TO HELL WITH HANDICAPPING

I'm gonna plant trees.

If you don't think there are any dummies in Ohio you ought to go to Thistle Downs

creatureman
08-19-2003, 10:38 PM
We could plant a tree over Seatlle Slew's grave. A pecan tree. then harvest the pecans. Bake one each pecan pie. then consume the pie as u handicap.

Tom
08-19-2003, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Whitehos
TO HELL WITH HANDICAPPING

I'm gonna plant trees.

If you don't think there are any dummies in Ohio you ought to go to Thistle Downs

Here is a good site if you like trees.....

www.futuretwobyfours.com