PDA

View Full Version : 2,552,000

The_Knight_Sky
07-29-2010, 04:57 PM
That is the amount a certain track will be giving away in pur$e money.

Leading to 147 horses pre-entered on a 14 race card
consisting of three Pick 4's with a 15% Takeout.

And an unknown amount of bright red Haskell caps will be given away. ;)

Entries for Sunday's card:
http://www.equibase.com/static/entry/MTH080110USA-EQB.html

jelly
07-29-2010, 05:05 PM
Wow!,great racing.should be some nice payouts. :ThmbUp:

Cardus
07-29-2010, 05:29 PM
How many $1,000,000 days has the $1,000,000-a-day meet had so far?

onefast99
07-29-2010, 05:38 PM
2.5 in 1 day is pretty good.

cj
07-29-2010, 05:44 PM

The answer, I believe, is zero.

Brogan
07-29-2010, 06:49 PM
The answer, I believe, is zero.
You would be incorrect. There has been at least one (United Nations day) and I think one other.

AND....it was $50 million in 50 days....NOT a million per day.

That being said...I don't think they will reach $50 mil anyway.

The_Knight_Sky
07-29-2010, 07:05 PM
That being said...I don't think they will reach $50 mil anyway.

Are we counting the $1,500 for the also rans?
Given that we have roughly 100-120 runners on every card,
that's a lot of dough that's been dispersed already.

The Gr 1 United Nations purse is listed at $760,000 (Chinchon - IRE)
and on that same day Saturday, July 3 was the $245,000 Salvator Mile
which was won by Shug's Gone Astray.

But they're raising the bar up to 7 stakes on Sunday.
Up an at 'em early. :) First post 12:00 Eastern / 9 am PT.

Dahoss9698
07-29-2010, 07:21 PM
I wonder if The Knight Sky has a Monmouth tattoo on his lower back.

The_Knight_Sky
07-29-2010, 07:34 PM
I wonder if The Knight Sky has a Monmouth tattoo on his lower back.

No. http://i31.tinypic.com/2e51d7d.gif

But I do sleep in my Bob Kulina-is-Superman pj's.

:D

Cardus
07-29-2010, 07:36 PM
The stable gates opened at 6:30 a.m. as a van with a trio of Thoroughbreds trained by Kelly John Breen were the first to arrive at Monmouth Park on Monday morning - officially kicking off the training season for the 2010 meet. With purses reaching a record $1 million per day, the upcoming race meet, which gets underway on May 22, will span a total of 71 days; the Million Dollar Meet running through Labor Day and the racing season concluding on Nov. 21.

The above is quoted from Monmouth's website, dateline April 5, 2010 in its "News" section. (My emphasis is added.)

When you advertise "$1 million per day," you are implying -- or perhaps explicitly stating -- that there will be $1 million available in purses every day.

If the first boldfaced clause read, "reaching a record average $1 million per day," that would be clearer and intellectually honest, given the amount that has been dispensed so far.

The second boldfaced selection reinforces what is explicitly stated (or being generous, implicitly stated) above.

"Per" means "each," not "an average."

Now, I wouldn't want the truth to get in the way of the myth, but Monmouth touted $1 million in purses each day.

It was an advertising_gimmick.

Headbanger
07-29-2010, 07:50 PM
I was actually very disappointed with the card for Sunday considering what they could have done...

Race 1-A NJ-bred race that I have no interest in seeing the extreme averageness of each and every horse in the race where it takes around a 60 beyer to collect 45K, whereas at Saratoga it takes an 80+ beyer to collect 30K.

Race 2-A 9 horse 80K allowance where 5 of the horses have recently within their last few starts have run for a claiming tag on different circuits, and the 4 horses who haven't seem like they have a beyer cieling of around an 80, good enough to maybe win a conditioned claimer in NY.

Race 3-An 8 horse 150K stakes that looks like a 2 horse race between Cool Coal Man and Arson Squad...excuse me if I am not rushing to the windows to bet this one.

Race 4-Those NJ-breds rear their ugly heads again here for 82K with another race that looks extremely limited in the number of ways to go...most of em run beyers in the 60s with the exception of 3 or 4.

Race 6-A 75K MSW with a bunch of horses who would get drowned running for 50K at Saratoga...it's the same story as last year, but these shitty horses are just running for more money.

Race 8-A group of 9 horses who are running here because they aren't good enough to run in the Honorable Miss next weekend.

Race 12-The Haskell...a race that Trappe Shot is the most likeliest winner, followed by Lookin at Lucky, then Ice Box, and then blah. Am I really supposed to be excited to go see Super Saver?

Race 13-A group of non-descript horses that would need Lezcano to fall off in order to beat Wine Maker.

Race 14-A group of NJ-breds where the best last beyer is a 78...that 78 happened 3 years ago though. Next highest beyer is a 72. Even NY-bred turf sprint races are more exciting than this.

That's 5 interesting races out of 14...not exactly a great way to put your "best foot forward." Excuse me if I am not drinking the kool-aid and I am going there Sunday because it's the closest track. All you Monmouth suck-ups can for once realize that this whole glamour on the surface is only going to lead to hopes that may end up being broken down the road.

Headbanger
07-29-2010, 07:52 PM
The stable gates opened at 6:30 a.m. as a van with a trio of Thoroughbreds trained by Kelly John Breen were the first to arrive at Monmouth Park on Monday morning - officially kicking off the training season for the 2010 meet. With purses reaching a record $1 million per day, the upcoming race meet, which gets underway on May 22, will span a total of 71 days; the Million Dollar Meet running through Labor Day and the racing season concluding on Nov. 21.

The above is quoted from Monmouth's website, dateline April 5, 2010 in its "News" section. (My emphasis is added.)

When you advertise "$1 million per day," you are implying -- or perhaps explicitly stating -- that there will be $1 million available in purses every day.

If the first boldfaced clause read, "reaching a record average $1 million per day," that would be clearer and intellectually honest, given the amount that has been dispensed so far.

The second boldfaced selection reinforces what is explicitly stated (or being generous, implicitly stated) above.

"Per" means "each," not "an average."

Now, I wouldn't want the truth to get in the way of the myth, but Monmouth touted $1 million in purses each day.

It was an advertising_gimmick.

Sharp Post...

Well said Cardus.

Rico8812
07-29-2010, 08:31 PM
Monmouth will never be more than a B-league track. They're wasting their purse money on the slow ass horses that are running in 90% of their races.

NJ Stinks
07-29-2010, 09:35 PM
Headbanger, I've got news for you. You don't have to play. Who cares?

And Cardus. Not a $M a day? That's somehow significant? Let me know at the end of the year if any other track in the country gave out more money per day. And I don't care how short the meet was either.

I'm not the biggest fan of Monmouth Park around here. I think the turf course still has too short a stretch and speed is still king on dirt (although not like it used to be). But Monmouth is still the best thing to happen to racing in the US in 2010.

By far. Tell me I'm wrong.

onefast99
07-29-2010, 09:36 PM
<Race 8-A group of 9 horses who are running here because they aren't good enough to run in the Honorable Miss next weekend.>

There are 13 nominations for the Honorable Miss next week 8/8 a Grade II race and the field has a few decent horses in it just like the Regret has. The Regret isn't a graded race but I am sure you knew that.

onefast99
07-29-2010, 09:37 PM
Monmouth will never be more than a B-league track. They're wasting their purse money on the slow ass horses that are running in 90% of their races.
Really. Is this assessment based on any scientific studies you did or are you just trying to get a little attention?

Cardus
07-29-2010, 09:43 PM

And Cardus. Not a $M a day? That's somehow significant? Let me know at the end of the year if any other track in the country gave out more money per day. And I don't care how short the meet was either.

I'm not the biggest fan of Monmouth Park around here. I think the turf course still has too short a stretch and speed is still king on dirt (although not like it used to be). But Monmouth is still the best thing to happen to racing in the US in 2010.

It's significant because it was advertised as such. I should not have vacillated between explicit and implicit. It was explicitly stated: "per day". That aspect of the meet -- which was the most highly promoted aspect of the meet -- is a fraud.

That makes it significant.

onefast99
07-29-2010, 09:51 PM
[QUOTE=Headbanger]I was actually very disappointed with the card for Sunday considering what they could have done...

Then apply for a job as Mike Dempseys assistant.:eek:

DeanT
07-29-2010, 09:53 PM
A track can not be specific to the dollar about purses. It depends on what races fill and what type of horse population. It is why they carry a purse buffer in their bank accounts.

I am not sure why players are worried about it anyway. The $50M bankroll they have for purses and the promo of such was to attract horseman and horse owners to fill cards, not done for horseplayers.

onefast99
07-29-2010, 09:54 PM
It's significant because it was advertised as such. I should not have vacillated between explicit and implicit. It was explicitly stated: "per day". That aspect of the meet -- which was the most highly promoted aspect of the meet -- is a fraud.

That makes it significant.
I brought this up earlier in the meet. I do agree that the $1m a day for 50 days hasn't come to fruition but they are running a decent meet thus far. I only hope that MP is here next year.

jelly
07-29-2010, 10:10 PM

Monmouth is still the best thing to happen to racing in the US in 2010.

You're not wrong brother.

Cardus
07-29-2010, 10:25 PM
A track can not be specific to the dollar about purses. It depends on what races fill and what type of horse population. It is why they carry a purse buffer in their bank accounts.

I am not sure why players are worried about it anyway. The $50M bankroll they have for purses and the promo of such was to attract horseman and horse owners to fill cards, not done for horseplayers.

Not one poster in this thread seems "worried" about what Monmouth is not offering.

That doesn't mean that Monmouth management wasn't fraudulent about what it advertised, and it is OK to illustrate this.

Cardus
07-29-2010, 10:27 PM
Monmouth is still the best thing to happen to racing in the US in 2010.

You're not wrong brother.

Why?

cj
07-29-2010, 10:31 PM
Why?

Big pools and big fields. If I thought it could continue it would be great.

jelly
07-29-2010, 10:31 PM
Why?

Big fields,good racing and 15% takeout on the pk5 and pk4.

Cardus
07-29-2010, 10:38 PM
I brought this up earlier in the meet. I do agree that the $1m a day for 50 days hasn't come to fruition but they are running a decent meet thus far. I only hope that MP is here next year.

Monmouth is a wonderful track. Totally agree.

David-LV
07-29-2010, 11:52 PM
Why?

One big reason is the .50 cent pick 5 with a 15% takeout, one of the best bets in all of horse racing anywhere.

That's Why!!

MONMOUTH THIS WEEKEND=MANY CHANCES TO MAKE A GIANT SCORE AT THE JERSEY SHORE.

Good luck to all who support a track that is trying to do the right thing for their patrons. Let's fire away this weekend and show the governor that racing is not dead in New Jersey.

_________
David-LV

Cardus
07-29-2010, 11:56 PM
One big reason is the .50 cent pick 5 with a 15% takeout, one of the best bets in all of horse racing anywhere.

That's Why!!

MONMOUTH THIS WEEKEND="MANY CHANCES TO MAKE A GIANT SCORE AT THE JERSEY SHORE."

Good luck to all who support a track that is trying to do the right thing for their patrons. Let's fire away this weekend and show the governor that racing is not dead in New Jersey.

_________
David-LV

Dude, it wasn't meant sarcastically.

I wanted to hear why folks thought it was the best thing to happen to racing in the United States in 2010.

David-LV
07-30-2010, 12:29 AM
Dude, it wasn't meant sarcastically.

I wanted to hear why folks thought it was the best thing to happen to racing in the United States in 2010.

Sorry, but name anything that has happened to racing anywhere in the U.S. that equals what Monmouth has done this year.

Saratoga will also be successful as always by the time their meet ends.

This Monmouth meet could be a game changer that other racing venues may have to follow.

MONMOUTH="A SCORE AT THE JERSEY SHORE."

onefast99
07-30-2010, 08:27 AM
Not one poster in this thread seems "worried" about what Monmouth is not offering.

That doesn't mean that Monmouth management wasn't fraudulent about what it advertised, and it is OK to illustrate this.
I am sure if it was a privately run corporation the state would be all over them, but since the state(NJSEA)runs the tracks, I guess it is ok to advertise something that has failed to materialize for the majority of the racing season.

rastajenk
07-30-2010, 08:40 AM
I think some posts in this thread reach new heights of pettiness.

Rutgers
07-30-2010, 11:24 AM
Are we counting the $1,500 for the also rans?
Given that we have roughly 100-120 runners on every card,
that's a lot of dough that's been dispersed already.

Having read a lot of your posts here, I am going to make a guess that you did not come up with this thought by yourself. I am thinking you have read Tom LaMarra’s article Rolling the Dice in the July 24, 2010 issue of the Bloodhorse Magazine. (or at least the box on page 2158)

But the approximate $776,000 in average daily pursues does include the $1,500 for each also ran. Factoring out the also ran money would lower that figure by $80,000. The $776,000 also includes graded stakes purses as well. Factoring that out the figure leaves $596,000 which is well below “targeted” $700,000 average daily purse, so they will not anywhere near $35 million. (actually they only have to reach $34,300,000 because the “Monmouth summer” meet is only 49 days)

I do realize $776,000 in average purse per day is a lot of money (even if it is spread out over 12 races). But NJ racing is in real trouble, and if you actually take an objective look at it you can see the new format is not a successful as some people claim it to be. Unabashed cheerleading of the new format is not going to solve any of the problems. (of course, unabashed bashing of the format doesn’t solve any problems either)

And one issue that does make solving NJ racing problems tougher, is any reasonable person involved in racing has to have some questions about the integrity and competency of the NJSEA and the state. And their explanation of the $50 million in 50 days in the article just adds to them.

Dahoss9698
07-30-2010, 11:38 AM
Having read a lot of your posts here, I am going to make a guess that you did not come up with this thought by yourself. I am thinking you have read Tom LaMarra’s article Rolling the Dice in the July 24, 2010 issue of the Bloodhorse Magazine. (or at least the box on page 2158)

But the approximate $776,000 in average daily pursues does include the $1,500 for each also ran. Factoring out the also ran money would lower that figure by $80,000. The $776,000 also includes graded stakes purses as well. Factoring that out the figure leaves $596,000 which is well below “targeted” $700,000 average daily purse, so they will not anywhere near $35 million. (actually they only have to reach $34,300,000 because the “Monmouth summer” meet is only 49 days)

I do realize $776,000 in average purse per day is a lot of money (even if it is spread out over 12 races). But NJ racing is in real trouble, and if you actually take an objective look at it you can see the new format is not a successful as some people claim it to be. Unabashed cheerleading of the new format is not going to solve any of the problems. (of course, unabashed bashing of the format doesn’t solve any problems either)

And one issue that does make solving NJ racing problems tougher, is any reasonable person involved in racing has to have some questions about the integrity and competency of the NJSEA and the state. And their explanation of the $50 million in 50 days in the article just adds to them.

Sharp post.

Robert Goren
07-30-2010, 11:48 AM
There is one thing this board proves. There is shortage of people who will call another poster petty for calling out a lie.

Dahoss9698
07-30-2010, 12:04 PM
FWIW, the card Sunday is fantastic. I look forward to betting it, depending on the weather.

I'm sure this kind of card was what a lot of bettors were hoping for all 3 days of the week they run. Less stakes obviously, but better quality races each day. Unfortunately there just aren't that many good horses anymore. And the ones that are good don't run enough.

netbet
07-30-2010, 12:38 PM
"It was an advertising_gimmick".

Gimmick or not the owners and trainers have showed up and from I hear and read are very happy with the meet.

Monmouth is a very nice track. The folks treat you well and the racing has been very good in my opinion. I will be watching on Sunday and will be betting every race.

The website gives you everything you need...live video, race replays...all for free.

I know I have enjoyed the meet.

comet52
07-30-2010, 12:41 PM

It amazes me, here where a daily dose of complaints about the industry runs like a river, that every little positive accomplishment is nitpicked to death. If a track draws crowds, they aren't gamblers. If a track tries something to improve the game, it's heavily criticized. If a track gets slots to stay open and keep horses running, well what a shame about that. If the track runs full fields, the horses aren't good enough. And so on.

I'd love to hear from someone at Monmouth about how it's going and what their expectations for the future are, good or bad. I would love some actual info, as opposed to angry forum rhetoric that seems to have no aim beyond boosting some poster's ego. "THOSE LIARS AT MONMOUTH!!!" Yeah, ok, thanks pal.

Dahoss9698
07-30-2010, 12:45 PM
Gimmick or not the owners and trainers have showed up and from I hear and read are very happy with the meet.

Of course the horsemen are happy. They are the ones making the most off of this experiment.

Cardus
07-30-2010, 01:16 PM
It amazes me, here where a daily dose of complaints about the industry runs like a river, that every little positive accomplishment is nitpicked to death. If a track draws crowds, they aren't gamblers. If a track tries something to improve the game, it's heavily criticized. If a track gets slots to stay open and keep horses running, well what a shame about that. If the track runs full fields, the horses aren't good enough. And so on.

I'd love to hear from someone at Monmouth about how it's going and what their expectations for the future are, good or bad. I would love some actual info, as opposed to angry forum rhetoric that seems to have no aim beyond boosting some poster's ego. "THOSE LIARS AT MONMOUTH!!!" Yeah, ok, thanks pal.

I disagree.

It is realistically scrutinized.

There is nothing wrong with this.

Robert Goren
07-30-2010, 01:34 PM

I'd love to hear from someone at Monmouth about how it's going and what their expectations for the future are, good or bad. I would love some actual info, as opposed to angry forum rhetoric that seems to have no aim beyond boosting some poster's ego. "THOSE LIARS AT MONMOUTH!!!" Yeah, ok, thanks pal. There were no positive accomplishments at Monmouth this year as far as making it viable in the future. The facts are that it is going to lose more money this year than it did last year. Another year older and another 11 million dollars deeper debt. It may or may not be open next year. Its future is very bleak indeed. I suppose that you give Monmonth some credit for trying something. It is just too bad that they decide to try something that has failed over and over again instead of trying something new and bold.

David-LV
07-30-2010, 02:15 PM
There were no positive accomplishments at Monmouth this year as far as making it viable in the future. The facts are that it is going to lose more money this year than it did last year. Another year older and another 11 million dollars deeper debt. It may or may not be open next year. Its future is very bleak indeed. I suppose that you give Monmonth some credit for trying something. It is just too bad that they decide to try something that has failed over and over again instead of trying something new and bold.

Robert,

Take off the blinkers, Monmouth is doing just fine. They will be racing at Monmouth long after most of us are gone.

Tell me where and at what tracks this has failed over and over again?

What Monmouth has done this year was something new and bold.

Why can't we all enjoy what we have be given this year by Monmouth and worry about the future after this meet.

There is a lot of free money to be made at Monmouth if you go in with a positive attitude.

Give it a try, you may find that you like it.

BTW: Most of the real gamblers that I know drive Cadillacs.

MONMOUTH=A SCORE AT THE JERSEY SHORE.

Robert Goren
07-30-2010, 03:40 PM
I am a win better and a small one at that. I have looked MTH several times this year and never found any value there on horses that I would have bet. I do not like races with lots of shippers. Other betters may like that, apparently not enough for the track to stop hemorrhaging money. Christie has already said that MTH is going to be leased or sold before next year. I can not see it being open beyond next year. No matter how much the horsemen cry, they are not going to slots there. Nor are they going to get a bunch of new OTWs. That is the political reality of the situation whether you or I like it or not.

turfnsport
07-30-2010, 03:46 PM
I am a win better and a small one at that. I have looked MTH several times this year and never found any value there on horses that I would have bet. I do not like races with lots of shippers. Other betters may like that, apparently not enough for the track to stop hemorrhaging money. Christie has already said that MTH is going to be leased or sold before next year. I can not see it being open beyond next year. No matter how much the horsemen cry, they are not going to slots there. Nor are they going to get a bunch of new OTWs. That is the political reality of the situation whether you or I like it or not.

I think the meet has been great from a betting standpoint, plenty of large fields, and I don't mind shippers or maiden races. Some of the early state bred races were awful, and maybe there are still a few too many "non winners of two", but if you can't find value at MTH, I would not know where to tell you to turn to.

Robert Goren
07-30-2010, 04:09 PM
I think the meet has been great from a betting standpoint, plenty of large fields, and I don't mind shippers or maiden races. Some of the early state bred races were awful, and maybe there are still a few too many "non winners of two", but if you can't find value at MTH, I would not know where to tell you to turn to. Good for you, enjoy it while it last. All I know that none of the horses I liked in the races I looked at had good odds. Plus I did not find very many horses I even liked. I found a lot of races of what I call chaos races. That may good for people who bet more than one horse in the exotics, but I am a small time one horse win better who needs not only to show a profit but to cash a high percentage of his tickets. MTH is not a place for me.

turfnsport
07-30-2010, 04:16 PM
Good for you, enjoy it while it last. All I know that none of the horses I liked in the races I looked at had good odds. Plus I did not find very many horses I even liked. I found a lot of races of what I call chaos races. That may good for people who bet more than one horse in the exotics, but I am a small time one horse win better who needs not only to show a profit but to cash a high percentage of his tickets. MTH is not a place for me.

Just curious, where are you finding value?

Robert Goren
07-30-2010, 04:56 PM
Just curious, where are you finding value? No place right now. I am testing a method for betting turf middle distance races. It still needs work, but I have nothing but time. No money, just time. The days of me being able to do the things necessary to beat this game in large way are over. My health is bad and I am not able to do the work anymore. I am down to looking for horses who meet a certain criteria. This days the odds are not very good on those horses. The game for me now is entertianment and trying to hold my own.

Robert Goren
07-30-2010, 04:59 PM
TurfnSport, Do you have any connection to the old magazine?

turfnsport
07-30-2010, 05:15 PM
TurfnSport, Do you have any connection to the old magazine?

No, I honestly had never heard of it (I'm 49) until someone sent me an email about ten years ago asking. Nothing had ever come up on google when I first started the web site (12 yrs ago)...A few years ago I found some old Turf & Sport Digest copies for sale here:

http://www.turfside.com/MiscMags.html

Looks like they were around until '86, but I never saw a copy on any of my newstands. I do remember buying ATM back in the mid 80's.

EDIT: I see the Keeneland library says it was published from 1928-1989.

Brogan
07-30-2010, 07:25 PM
I do believe that they are counting September 18 ("Jersey Day") as part of the 50 days.

onefast99
07-30-2010, 09:25 PM
I do believe that they are counting September 18 ("Jersey Day") as part of the 50 days.
The MP summer meet ends on September 6th the next meet begins on September 11th. Are you sure they are going to include Jersey day in the 50?

castaway01
07-30-2010, 09:30 PM
Good for you, enjoy it while it last. All I know that none of the horses I liked in the races I looked at had good odds. Plus I did not find very many horses I even liked. I found a lot of races of what I call chaos races. That may good for people who bet more than one horse in the exotics, but I am a small time one horse win better who needs not only to show a profit but to cash a high percentage of his tickets. MTH is not a place for me.

It's not a place for you, but it's a place for you to post over and over and over and over and over and over about...you must be studying it very closely. Then again, based on the quality of your trolls, er, posts, I'd say you're not.

njcurveball
07-30-2010, 09:38 PM
The correct answer is 2 days so far meet.

TDATE total purses
--------- --------------
22-MAY-10 758300
23-MAY-10 640300
29-MAY-10 856300
30-MAY-10 712700
31-MAY-10 727000
04-JUN-10 378200
05-JUN-10 734600
06-JUN-10 531000
11-JUN-10 372800
12-JUN-10 904400
13-JUN-10 661200
18-JUN-10 503900
19-JUN-10 666100
20-JUN-10 676500
25-JUN-10 392900
26-JUN-10 753900
27-JUN-10 610900
02-JUL-10 446800
03-JUL-10 1322300
04-JUL-10 899100
05-JUL-10 613900
09-JUL-10 476900
10-JUL-10 610900
11-JUL-10 595900
16-JUL-10 458000
17-JUL-10 680400
18-JUL-10 438600
23-JUL-10 405300
24-JUL-10 1004600
25-JUL-10 545100

Rutgers
07-30-2010, 10:02 PM
The MP summer meet ends on September 6th the next meet begins on September 11th. Are you sure they are going to include Jersey day in the 50?

I think Brogan is right. While not really part of the summer meet, the day (in theory at least) would be the 50th day of the supplement, as the purses that day should be more like the "Monmouth Summer" meet then the fall "Meadowlands at Monmouth" meet. ($1 million vs. $250K)

Robert Goren
07-30-2010, 11:51 PM
It's not a place for you, but it's a place for you to post over and over and over and over and over and over about...you must be studying it very closely. Then again, based on the quality of your trolls, er, posts, I'd say you're not.I have been following their meet very closely, because I did not think the direction they took was good for horse racing. I wish they had taken a more positive approach. I hope race tracks every where will learn from their mistakes. After seeing that California is thinking about raising takeout rates, my hopes are dimmed a bit. Nobody is doing is doing horse racing any favors by touting MTH as a success when it was in fact a disaster from a business stand point. It really hurts me as fan of the game to see it going down a road that will put itself out of business before I die. My question to you, why do you want to see every race track in the country go out of business including MTH park? That is exactly what you are doing every time you hype what they are trying. You and the rest of the MATH promoters need to take a good look at reality and try figure out how to save this game. Racinos, where you can still get one approved, are at best a very temporary fix. Racing operations need to be profitable as stand alone business. Nobody is going to keep around something that is losing money head over heels very long. Now isn't it time that you and the other MTH promoters stopped hyping it and started hyping something constructive to save horse racing.

Brogan
07-31-2010, 07:41 PM
The condition book (well all of the condition books so far) lays out the purse money split (55% for 1st, 20% for 2nd, etc.) for May 22 thru Sep 6 AND Sep 18.

It may be a leap of logic on my part, but that's why I'm counting 9/18 as the 50th day.

comet52
07-31-2010, 07:49 PM
Where are you getting this information?

There were no positive accomplishments at Monmouth this year as far as making it viable in the future. The facts are that it is going to lose more money this year than it did last year. Another year older and another 11 million dollars deeper debt.

peakpros
07-31-2010, 09:00 PM
Where are you getting this information?

Its been posted everywhere. Especially on the report on the NJ governor's desk.

Unlike 95% of the posters here I am at monmouth everyday and want them to be succesful. And I give them credit for trying something different.

But this meet is not being seen by everyone at monmouth as such the great success that the fanboys here would lead people to believe. (And to think ALL horseman are happy with it is just laughable. )

The meet will still lose money, even more than last year.

The attendence increase is not as great as expected (when you take into account the lost two days per week) and the on track handle is not what they had hope.

They (management) have done a great job on the Haskell and it may give a boost for the last month of the season.

In yesterday's Asbury Park Press (app.com) the main horsewriting guy (edleson) wrote an article questioning the Haskell's future. I'm not the only pessimistic guy around.

Throw out all the numbers you want; but its not all smiles at the jersey shore as these posters make it out to be.

comet52
08-01-2010, 11:25 AM
I saw those quotes. And I saw no attribution, source or background. Someone could say they made 10 million and I'd be asking the same question. Where does this come from? In the midst of a political battle I want more than some number in a press release.

Its been posted everywhere. Especially on the report on the NJ governor's desk.

Unlike 95% of the posters here I am at monmouth everyday and want them to be succesful. And I give them credit for trying something different.

But this meet is not being seen by everyone at monmouth as such the great success that the fanboys here would lead people to believe. (And to think ALL horseman are happy with it is just laughable. )

The meet will still lose money, even more than last year.

The attendence increase is not as great as expected (when you take into account the lost two days per week) and the on track handle is not what they had hope.

They (management) have done a great job on the Haskell and it may give a boost for the last month of the season.

In yesterday's Asbury Park Press (app.com) the main horsewriting guy (edleson) wrote an article questioning the Haskell's future. I'm not the only pessimistic guy around.

Throw out all the numbers you want; but its not all smiles at the jersey shore as these posters make it out to be.

comet52
08-01-2010, 10:17 PM
Here is what the president of Monmouth had to say:

"On July 21, Gov. Christie issued a report calling for New Jersey to end its subsidy for the industry and urging the privatization of the state-owned racetracks.

The report was no surprise to the folks at Monmouth Park. Nor did they take it as a doomsday scenario.

"We'll let racing stand on its own,'' said Robert Kulina, vice president and general manager of Monmouth Park. "We're doing fine.''

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sports/20100801_N_J__horse_racing_braces_for_end_of_subsi dies.html

onefast99
08-02-2010, 09:30 AM
The Governor was at the track yesterday he sat in the Parterres and didn't come down to the winners circle to give the connections of Lookin at Lucky the Haskell trophy.