PDA

View Full Version : Adios to my Adios Day

RaceTrackDaddy
07-28-2010, 11:19 PM
Been a long time since my first Adios Day in 1971. Got hooked on the sport watching Albatross winning from the nine post on the artifical turf (brown Astro Turf) that was the Meadows racing surface. They actually placed sand on that stuff in the summer heat to keep it from becoming real sticky.

Was there when they switched over to the limestones surface in 1975. Loved both the Adios in the afternoon and on occassions, under the lights at night.

With the way things have gone as they now need eliminations the week before and no longer race heat races, the thrill of the game is lacking the participants that it once attracted yearly to the Meadows oval.

Even the 2yr colts in the Gov. Lawerence are getting less quality as the Adioo Volo. The better ones are saving themselves for the Mistletoe Shalee... the schedule of Adios Week now is not conducive to having the best in the sport to showcase the place.

I have to admit, I have made other plans. I expect to miss this year's Adios and will be betting at another venue. The world of simulcasting has given us a choice that I am taking. Hate to see this happen but Adios Day and its Adios Week pales in comparison to previous years. No loner are the best in the sport at the SW Pa track. At least it will all come down to the Breeders' at Pokie. BE THERE!

Pacingguy
07-29-2010, 07:45 AM
We water races down to make it more friendly, but in reality we screw up a good thing. The Adios belongs back in its usual slot, the week after the Hambletonian. The Adios has just become another horse race.

This happens to a lot of our races. The Hambo for example was changed to become more friendly for television. What have we done? We have made these races just another horse race.

markgoldie
07-29-2010, 10:45 AM
Been a while since this stake had really top quality colts. The reason is the fragility of today's animal and the necessary pointing for the majors. The big guns want the NA Cup, The Meadowlands Pace and the Breeders Crown. The Adios, like The Cane, The Messenger, and even The Jug, just don't get the attention anymore. On the other hand, The Adios was always just an additional stake for three year olds. It was never part of the Triple Crown. So when it comes to lamenting the demise of great stakes' races, The Adios is well down the line on the list of laments.