PDA

View Full Version : Expelled from college because of her views on homosexuality

GaryG
07-28-2010, 12:23 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/07/28/court-university-expel-student-opposes-homosexuality/

Ward’s attorneys claim the university told her she would only be allowed to remain in the program if she went through a “remediation” program so that she could “see the error of her ways” and change her belief system about homosexuality.

Does this sound like sometging from Commie China? Absolutely incredible.

boxcar
07-28-2010, 01:00 PM
Many Christians have seen this coming down the 'pike from afar. All we had to do was look at the direction in which this nation is going. This is a classic example of [ultimately] the state forcing its worldview upon people with different views. Those of us with our fingers on political pulse of this country have been knowing for quite a while that Political Correctness will ultimately cause this country to Fall.

By the way, during the "Great Tribulation" period of these end times, Christians will come under great persecution around the world -- if we are to believe the bible, of course.

Boxcar

Robert Goren
07-28-2010, 01:28 PM
The I read the story was she expelled from a counseling program because she insisted on counseling gay couples that homosexuality was wrong. It would the same as if Catholic counselor insisted on counseling a Protestant couple that being Protestant was wrong.

rastajenk
07-28-2010, 02:18 PM
That's not the way I read it. What I read was that she refused to counsel homosexual clients. My initial reaction was that it was similar to stories about Muslim grocery checkers refusing to touch pork and bacon products and thus were gumming up the checkout process; or pharmacists that refuse to dispense birth controls because of personal beliefs: if you can't do the whole job, go somewhere else or find a different line of work.

The part about the remediation process was slightly disturbing, but that was just her lawyers talking. Hard to say what the truth is there.

If she'd done her due diligence before entering the program, she might have been counseled to pursue her studies somewhere else to begin with. I'm just not sold on the face value of this particular outrage.

bigmack
07-28-2010, 02:24 PM
The I read the story was she expelled from a counseling program because she insisted on counseling gay couples that homosexuality was wrong. It would the same as if Catholic counselor insisted on counseling a Protestant couple that being Protestant was wrong.
May I ask a simple question being that it is a short article; Where does it ever say she insisted on counseling gay couples that homosexuality was wrong?

From what I saw there are two references to her removal:

1. “In the case of Ms. Ward, the university determined that she would never change her behavior and would consistently refuse to counsel clients on matters with which she was personally opposed due to her religious beliefs – including homosexual relationships.”

2. She was removed from the school’s counseling program last year because she refused to counsel homosexual clients.

In any event, I'm not so sure I disagree with the decision being that she is a 'counselor'

Robert Goren
07-28-2010, 02:31 PM
May I ask a simple question being that it is a short article; Where does it ever say she insisted on counseling gay couples that homosexuality was wrong?

From what I saw there are two references to her removal:

In any event, I'm not so sure I disagree with the decision being that she is a 'counselor':blush: You are right. I miss read the the article.

Tom
07-28-2010, 02:37 PM
If it were a job, and she refused to do part of it, I can see her getting fired, but a university has no right to do this. What she does in her career is of no business to any college. They are there to teach and provide degrees, nothing else. That they think they has this right is disturbing. The elite intelligencia are a perfect example of know your role and shut your hole.

skate
07-28-2010, 03:29 PM

HEY hey hey, good one Roberto, indeed.

OK ok ok , i missed your miss, Mam.

JustRalph
07-28-2010, 04:35 PM
Tom has it right. Every counselor in the world picks and chooses who they counsel. Some have better knowledge of certain subjects etc. This is crap and more Liberal Pablum trying to creep further and further into schools.

GaryG
07-28-2010, 04:52 PM
Our grandson will be starting college in two years. This is one of the reasons that we are sending him to a private college. Looks like it will be Furman.

http://www2.furman.edu/Pages/default.aspx

jballscalls
07-28-2010, 05:22 PM
why do people make such a big deal about who people sleep with or what color they are??

who cares who someone bones, wants to marry, or what color they are.

PaceAdvantage
07-28-2010, 09:01 PM
:blush: You are right. I miss read the the article.Did you? Or were you trolling again.... :lol:

boxcar
07-28-2010, 11:22 PM
why do people make such a big deal about who people sleep with or what color they are??

who cares who someone bones, wants to marry, or what color they are.

What happened: Did you snooze through the whole Tiger Woods thread? I broached this subject in a little detail. In short, when a society "winks" at evil, there will be "aftershocks" that will ripple through our culture. It's a wee bit simplistic to think that our bedroom behavior behind closed doors will never have any impact upon our society.

Boxcar

TJDave
07-29-2010, 01:01 AM
1. “In the case of Ms. Ward, the university determined that she would never change her behavior and would consistently refuse to counsel clients on matters with which she was personally opposed due to her religious beliefs – including homosexual relationships.”

From a practical standpoint it would seem that counseling homosexual couples would be beneficial. It's not like our society could use more homosexual promiscuity. :rolleyes:

bigmack
07-29-2010, 01:24 AM
This is an odd little case. On one side she is a graduate student in counseling finishing out her degree. For her to say, I don't want to deal with homo's (Give me a break, of course that's politically correct) would be like a medical student saying they don't want to be involved in the autopsy of a certain disease.

Additionally, as outlined in the article: A federal judge has ruled in favor of a public university that removed a Christian student from its graduate program in school counseling over her belief that homosexuality is morally wrong.

Mike at A+
07-29-2010, 09:47 AM
This is an odd little case. On one side she is a graduate student in counseling finishing out her degree. For her to say, I don't want to deal with homo's (Give me a break, of course that's politically correct) would be like a medical student saying they don't want to be involved in the autopsy of a certain disease.

Additionally, as outlined in the article:
I wonder if they also expelled any Muslim students because as we've seen, some Muslim countries actually execute homosexuals. But maybe Achmadinejad was right when he famously claimed that there were no homosexuals in Iran making this all a moot point.

horses4courses
07-29-2010, 10:12 AM
"the university had a rational basis for requiring students to counsel clients without imposing their personal values,”

That's how they base their ruling.
Get over it.

boxcar
07-29-2010, 10:46 AM
"the university had a rational basis for requiring students to counsel clients without imposing their personal values,”

That's how they base their ruling.
Get over it.

Help to "get over it" by sharing your incisive insights into what the school's "rational basis" was all about. You must know something we don't. I know you're not that naive to just take the university's word for it blindly, right?

Boxcar

horses4courses
07-29-2010, 11:01 AM
Help to "get over it" by sharing your incisive insights into what the school's "rational basis" was all about. You must know something we don't. I know you're not that naive to just take the university's word for it blindly, right?

Boxcar

The only problem I might have with this issue is if, as the student's lawyers contend, she was told to take a remedial course to "change her views".
That's BS, if it is true. The girl is entitled to her beliefs, but those views should affect neither her counseling, nor her school work.
The university has rights, also.