07-27-2010, 05:32 PM
Lets say a usual weekend day , what do you budget yourself

1 $1 - $100

2 $101 - $300

3 $301 - $600

4 $ over $600

cj's dad
07-27-2010, 07:02 PM
$300 minus beer- parking- food and whatever I have to pay for speed figures:faint: !!

And I always leave my credit/ATM cards in the car.

fmolf
07-27-2010, 07:15 PM
I go with $200 for prime win bets and $100 for fun bets...exactas and maybe a few dd's.....once the 2 hundo is gone though i am done wagering!

MickJ26
07-27-2010, 08:00 PM
My bankroll is $200.
I use $100. for multi-race exotics and $100. for exactas.
I play four horse exacta boxes for $1. unless I can't find four worth betting.
I rarely make WPS bets.
$200. is enough for me to have fun without breaking my bank.
That's my two cents worth.

Space Monkey
07-27-2010, 08:09 PM
$1, 4 horse exacta box??? If you cash 10 times with that bet, how many times will you either lose money or make less than $20?

horses4courses
07-27-2010, 08:31 PM
http://usedbooksblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/dr-evil.JPG

One meeelionnnn dollaarzzzz.........moohoohaahaa

Skanoochies
07-27-2010, 09:10 PM
$300 minus beer- parking- food and whatever I have to pay for speed figures:faint: !!

Where do you park your car? :lol:

Grits
07-27-2010, 09:16 PM

Good one. Outstanding!!!:lol: :lol: :lol:

He's lying about those figs; he gets the family discount.

Zman179
07-27-2010, 09:27 PM
I've gone to the track with as little as $8 :lol: ...and this was before dime bets.

Nowadays I go with $30 on average.

riskman
07-27-2010, 09:42 PM
I do not go to the track with any cash in my pocket for gambling. All my wagers are made by cell phone. Typically, I wager 2.5& of my bankroll for win bets and depending on ex and tris the amount would not exceed 50. per bet per race.

Tom
07-27-2010, 11:10 PM

We have a winner! :lol:

Trotman
07-27-2010, 11:36 PM
$600 is my daily but is there an opportunity? I still need my visual, if everything does not point to a decided edge then there's no bet.

kenwoodall2
07-27-2010, 11:50 PM
Probably has my yet-to-be-invented car webcam viewed from his laptop!

Hoofhearted
07-28-2010, 04:31 AM
You guys have a distinct advantage in that you can apportion a far greater percentile of your day's budget to betting. What I mean is that a significant chunk of your total spend is not eaten up in huge admission cost and further rip-off charges for mediocre food on-track. (A greasy burger at $10.00 anyone?).

On this side of the Atlantic, things are a lot more pocket-demanding. This week, Goodwood admission costs minimum £18 and rising to £40. Ascot in July costs £60. Cheltenham on Gold Cup day is £70. About £100 is spent after taking into account petrol, parking and the price of a limp stale sandwich ............. before you even have your first bet of the day.You can appreciate that if a guy has a total spend allowance for day of ,say, £100, very little is available to bet. What is your admission costs Stateside ........... about $5.00 ? ;)
I rarely go to the track anymore -- understandably.
My usual bets daily would be around four or five $5 exacta's ....... done online.

JBmadera
07-28-2010, 06:01 AM
You guys have a distinct advantage in that you can apportion a far greater percentile of your day's budget to betting. What I mean is that a significant chunk of your total spend is not eaten up in huge admission cost and further rip-off charges for mediocre food on-track. (A greasy burger at $10.00 anyone?).

On this side of the Atlantic, things are a lot more pocket-demanding. This week, Goodwood admission costs minimum £18 and rising to £40. Ascot in July costs £60. Cheltenham on Gold Cup day is £70. About £100 is spent after taking into account petrol, parking and the price of a limp stale sandwich ............. before you even have your first bet of the day.You can appreciate that if a guy has a total spend allowance for day of ,say, £100, very little is available to bet. What is your admission costs Stateside ........... about $5.00 ? ;)
My usual bets daily would be around four or five $5 exacta's ....... done online.

I know I am hijacking this tread but I am curious: here in the US on track attendance/handle is dropping and wagering via ADW is on the rise (probably because of the cost issue you raise above, among many others). Is that same trend occurring in the UK/IRE? I use ATR a lot and enjoy wagering on the races via twinspires.

now back to your regularly scheduled thread......

Hoofhearted
07-28-2010, 06:46 AM
Absolutely BJ. My understanding would be that racecourses in almost all jurisdictions worldwide ( with the possible exception of Far Eastern's like Sha Tin and Happy Valley) are seeing a considerable decrease in attendances. I think Belmont Stakes Day this year had the lowest "gate" for twenty years.
Same on this side of the water. Everywhere is down, some tracks are using desperate measures like having post-race pop concerts etc to try to stem the downward drift, but I fear such gimmicks will also prove futile eventually.

Bottom line, I think, is that the punter now in these technological times armed with every form tool -- gallops reports, speed figures, past-form etc at the click of a mouse; live real-time streaming of races; and with access to betting platforms like the exchanges that offer a take-out of only 3% -- is not attracted to going to the track with all the attendant costs and effort that entails. Why would anyone bother?
(Although I know of two members on here who travelled 6,000 miles to go to a racetrack -- and who overnighted in my place. How crazy is that !!!
( Yes, you know who you are, Jack and Jim). ;)

Fingal
07-28-2010, 10:52 AM

And can you write your PIN number on the back of the cards ?

I'll take $ 100-200, depends on what the card look like, what races are in various P3 & P4 sequences.

MickJ26
07-28-2010, 11:47 AM
$1, 4 horse exacta box??? If you cash 10 times with that bet, how many times will you either lose money or make less than $20?

I don't always use four horses.
Depending on the field size and if there's an odds-on choice, it might be a three horse box or a five horse box. Sometimes I take a net loss, but, I kept finding out the hard way the horse I'd leave off my ticket always beat me.

JBmadera
07-28-2010, 12:27 PM
I don't always use four horses.
Depending on the field size and if there's an odds-on choice, it might be a three horse box or a five horse box. Sometimes I take a net loss, but, I kept finding out the hard way the horse I'd leave off my ticket always beat me.

looking back at my records the aforementioned wager has been profitable for me, although only if the field is large (10+ horses), and I can find 2 horses that are at least 7-1 who I like. been using the wager now and then when I bet some of the UK/IRE races......:ThmbUp:

jb

thespaah
07-28-2010, 10:53 PM

"And I always leave my credit/ATM cards in the car."

OH YEAH!! That is step one in the realm of good money management. NO double dipping.

I exclude expenses( food and bev) from my bankroll.
I don't eat or drink a lot at the track anyway, so my refreshment budget is low.

thespaah
07-28-2010, 11:00 PM

Most places grandstand admission is free. Clubhouse maybe $5 plus if one wishes premium seating, top is $20 or so.
On special days, for example the KY Derby, I think admission is like $50.
The cost to enter the racetrack seems a lot cheaper here than in UK. Based on your post.
I would imagine a good percentage of your fellow punters bet from home to avoid these confiscatory costs.

miy4ever
07-29-2010, 12:38 AM
My story is totally different. No costs involved, whatsoever. No PPs, no parking fees, no entry fees, or food-drinks. Download "free" PPs from Brisnet's "free section" everyday (PDF files). Select my races (2 or 3 only), & bet them from home on the internet account. Never been to any track in US/anywhere. Watch live races on internet only. Mostly bet MDN races only (they do pay well; ex's in 4-digits, tri's in 5-digits & spf's in 6-digits !). Play all tracks/circuits wherever my type of race is available.

IMO, one needs only one race to make his/her day; same as like one needs only one lotto ticket to hit a jackpot. MDNs are the simplest form of races, & if I can't beat those, then what's the point in trying higher class races, although I can handicap those, too, but I lose more than I win. With MDNs I at least break-even, everyday. That's an achievement in itself (for me), considering only 4 years of experience, & looking at lots of "experienced" handicappers losing continuously everyday by betting many many races. Still learning. Once in a while, make a profit off it, too. Every 5-6 days (mostly weekend races), my losing streak starts, when I bet the minimum. Long way to go. Patience & dedication are the keys. It's like another job for me. I love it.

Picked many a times straight dime Spf (80% straight, 10% 4-horses boxed; 10% part-wheeled), especially when my a/c balance is down to 10-20 cents, & it shoots up.

Sorry if I bored you, or offended anyone unknowingly.

Thanx.

FrankieFigs
07-29-2010, 04:32 PM
I take between $200-$300 with me when I go to the track. Don't go that often, though......

markgoldie
07-29-2010, 04:45 PM
Not sure the size of your bankroll is all that important. However, if you put through a reasonable amount of action, about 2% of the bankroll on an individual wager is reasonable.

In my case it means that I keep 50k in the account. But the size isn't important- only the results are. And as we all know, they can swing like mad.

judd
07-29-2010, 06:32 PM
I take between $200-$300 with me when I go to the track. Don't go that often, though......

by the looks of your avatar, i can see why you dont go often

YOUR IN PRISON

Hoofhearted
07-29-2010, 06:42 PM
The cost to enter the racetrack seems a lot cheaper here than in UK. Based on your post.

Indeed Thespaah !
That's the benefit of having a Tote monopoly on track -- the takeout subsidises the running costs. In U.K. / Ireland the Tote turnover is substantially inferior to the amounts staked with the on-course bookmakers. Hence the courses are obliged to impose unrealistically high admission charges to compensate for a very small "take" from a very small Tote handle.

High admissions are the price you pay for having the "privilege" of betting with on-course bookmakers. In countries where the Tote exercises a monopoly on on-course betting (most of the world), the admission cost is consequently very reasonable. In France on Arc day, a day on which there are SIX Group1 races, the entrance fee is 6 euro -- and that includes a free bus service from central Paris to Longchamps ! :bang:

rstone
07-29-2010, 11:35 PM
~150 when I go to my local track(Thistledown)....when I've been on vacation in Saratoga(For example) I generally doubled that (Hey, I was on vacation :) )

speed
07-30-2010, 01:10 AM
Depends on how my rounds go. Some days i pick up a few hundred aluminum cans and i have a little bankroll to take to the track. Problem is when its been a great morning, i am so tired from bending, lifting and throwing the cans into a garbage bag i just don't have the energy to do anything but find the nearest covered dumpster and take a nap.

If they would ever allow food stamps at the $50 buck window.

One can only dream.

FrankieFigs
07-30-2010, 10:55 AM
by the looks of your avatar, i can see why you dont go often

YOUR IN PRISON

I lucked up one day and gave the guards a couple of winners, one of them a 37-1 shot. They have let me sneak out a few times since then....... :)

WinterTriangle
07-30-2010, 11:14 PM
Why would anyone bother?

With that philosophy, I imagine fantasy racing (sans actual live horses) isn't too far into the future?

Sans some of the world's most beautiful (and sensory appealing) racecourses, too?

That is the whole point of attending live racing, but if that is going away, then I can see the whole kit n' kaboodle going away along with it.

"Live" racing need not be live then, it can become like poker or the stock market, using inanimate objects in cyberspace.