PDA

View Full Version : Gary Stevens

sq764
08-16-2003, 10:27 PM
How is he not dead?? I was shocked to even see him concious, let alone relatively ok..

JustRalph
08-17-2003, 12:01 AM
http://a799.g.akamai.net/3/799/388/6a5c1b858008d1/www.msnbc.com/news/1986045.jpg

Tom
08-17-2003, 08:53 AM
That guy had someone watching out for him yesterday....I though he was dead when I saw it.....then he was moving around!
Then they add insult to injury and DQ him!

sq764
08-17-2003, 08:57 AM
I know that the likely reason for all of these spills recently is just random luck.. BUT, doesn't it make you wonder or at least for a moment think that something has changed??

Are the horses less durable? The surfaces harder? Or is it just dumb luck?

Kentucky Bred
08-17-2003, 10:28 AM
Gary Stevens, in my opinion one of the most talented jockeys ever, has been putting out a lot of press recently stating that he has been shunned by the jockey colonies after his movie fame hit.

Here is an example:

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1060207812718&call_pageid=968867503640&col=970081593064

With this new injury, getting days to boot, the fact that he says riding and the jock's room are not fun anymore, could a final retirement be too far off?

Kentucky Bred

rmania
08-17-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Kentucky Bred
With this new injury, getting days to boot, .....
I can't see Stevens getting "days" as a result of the DQ. It evidently had nothing to do with the ride.

I saw a race years ago where two horses were locked up in the stretch and one reached out and bit the other one then proceeded to win. The horse was DQd for "ravaging his opponent" but the jock didn't get any days. I guess the stewards couldn't prove that the horse was following instructions. :p

Tom
08-17-2003, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by rmania
.......I saw a race years ago where two horses were locked up in the stretch and one reached out and bit the other one then proceeded to win. The horse was DQd for "ravaging his opponent" but the jock didn't get any days. I guess the stewards couldn't prove that the horse was following instructions. :p

However, if the JOCK reaches out and bites another horse or rider, he will get days in most jurisdictions. ;)

VetScratch
08-17-2003, 06:33 PM
Rmania,
"ravaging his opponent"For no other reason than to promote widespread understanding if newbies are reading, the accepted nomenclature among stewards and chart makers is "savaging" rather than "ravaging."

VetScratch
08-17-2003, 06:52 PM
Tom,
However, if the JOCK reaches out and bites another horse or rider, he will get days in most jurisdictions.:)
In CA, the jocks were ASKING for days so they could file and concentrate on their gubernatorial campaigns.:) :)

Tom
08-17-2003, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by VetScratch
Tom,

In CA, the jocks were ASKING for days so they could file and concentrate on their gubernatorial campaigns.:) :)

(Sing this)

76 unknowns led the big charade,
With a 100 and 10 more ri-ight behind.
Followed by rows and rows of names that no one knows,
In the state, of Cal-i-for-ney-a!

:rolleyes:

PaceAdvantage
08-17-2003, 09:30 PM
Other riders in the Arlington Million seemed to go out of their way to say that they felt the DQ wasn't the fault of Stevens at all, which it clearly was not.

The horse spooked, and no matter who was riding, they ain't gonna stay onboard.

GameTheory
08-17-2003, 09:51 PM
Maybe when he gets better the other jocks will let him play the reindeer games again...

superfecta
08-18-2003, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by rmania
II saw a race years ago where two horses were locked up in the stretch and one reached out and bit the other one then proceeded to win. The horse was DQd for "ravaging his opponent" but the jock didn't get any days. I guess the stewards couldn't prove that the horse was following instructions. :p At Belmont on the turf,right?One of those things that you can't handicap(lets see,did the horse eat this morning....)or forget.But the winning horse did have some of the same connections as the DQ horse,so it couldn't have been totally bittersweet.Nice thing about the replays on TVG,no actual showing of the incident.Some restraint used,for some reason,which I find nice because I don't get my thrills watching these guys getting hurt.

ceejay
08-18-2003, 09:28 AM
Apparrently Stevens is expecting to be relaesed from the hospital Wednesday and is still planning to ride in the Pacific Classic on Sunday.

http://channels.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=17541

Trijack
08-19-2003, 07:46 PM
Just got the Del Mar Turf Times in the mail. They have scheduled a battle of the sexes on Sep 7, Julie Krone vs Gary Stevens.

They'll ride equally matched horses selected by a blind draw. It's also a wagering event for win only. Wonder if Stevens will get to run this race.

Lefty
08-19-2003, 07:59 PM
Gary got lucky and was kicked in shoulder or just below by another horse; just missing his head. He was also wearing the mandatory "flak" jacket which helped protect him.
The strange thing is: TVG reports that Gary said the horse "spooked" in the exact same spot the day before in a workout.

Observer
08-19-2003, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Trijack
Just got the Del Mar Turf Times in the mail. They have scheduled a battle of the sexes on Sep 7, Julie Krone vs Gary Stevens.

They'll ride equally matched horses selected by a blind draw. It's also a wagering event for win only. Wonder if Stevens will get to run this race.

No, it has been announced that PVal will replace Stevens.

PVal Replaces Injured Stevens (http://racing.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=17565)

WINMANWIN
08-19-2003, 08:37 PM
I saw the replay many times. I thought Gary got hit in the head
and the horses hoof hit Garys helmet. Anyone see that, or know if he was hit in the head ?:confused:

Observer
08-19-2003, 08:58 PM
I read somewhere that a hoof grazed his ear. Somehow he got hit on the head .. because his white helmet cover got knocked clear off the helmet.

rmania
08-19-2003, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Observer
No, it has been announced that PVal will replace Stevens.

PVal Replaces Injured Stevens (http://racing.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=17565)
How fitting..... lol