PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite 'catch phrase' in T bred announcing circles?

Stillriledup
07-26-2010, 05:51 PM
I used to love it when the old Arlington announcer said, "and heeeeeeeeeere they come spinning out of the turn"

I also love Mike Battaglia's "gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaining grooooooooooooound"!

My favorite Vic-ism is when he yells YESSSSS! at the wire.

Trevor's "ring up the register" is kind of annoying, especially when he uses it on a 3-5 shot. You don't ring up s**t at 3-5, maybe at 20-1 you can ring it up, but not 3-5.

Another one of my favorites was when Marshall Cassidy said "has the lead" and that was the end of the call, he would never call after the wire, once that winner hit the wire the call was over. Love Marshall.

cnollfan
07-26-2010, 06:29 PM
I miss Phil Saltzman's "And they're not gonna get him today."

I like the Evangeline break, "Ils sont partis."

He doesn't use this one very often but I love Michael Wrona's "She's staying like a mother-in-law."

Stillriledup
07-26-2010, 06:47 PM
I miss Phil Saltzman's "And they're not gonna get him today."

I like the Evangeline break, "Ils sont partis."

He doesn't use this one very often but I love Michael Wrona's "She's staying like a mother-in-law."

I love Wrona and his Wrona-isms!

turfnsport
07-26-2010, 06:49 PM

:ThmbDown:

Stillriledup
07-26-2010, 06:53 PM

"They're Right TAAAAAAAAAAAAA getherrrrrrrrrrrrr"!!

turfnsport
07-26-2010, 06:58 PM
"They're Right TAAAAAAAAAAAAA getherrrrrrrrrrrrr"!!

Ah you are killing me! I need a drink!

Stillriledup
07-26-2010, 07:34 PM

:D

gheuks
07-26-2010, 07:41 PM
Dave Johnson---"and down the strech the come"

sandpit
07-26-2010, 08:06 PM

Worst....catch....phrase....ever

stu
07-26-2010, 08:40 PM
I like when he announcers avoid the 'catch phrases' and are creative and spontaneous.

e.g. Dave Rodman's call for Miss Oil's victory on July 10th - her 3rd in a row

"Miss Oil can not be contained!"

point given
07-26-2010, 08:50 PM
I like when he announcers avoid the 'catch phrases' and are creative and spontaneous.

e.g. Dave Rodman's call for Miss Oil's victory on / July 10th - her 3rd in a row

I agree with you Stu, always prefer originality / spontaniety of a Tom Durkin of NYRA.

The only one that I kind of liked was Phil Salzman " and they're not going to catch him today "

thaskalos
07-26-2010, 08:59 PM
When a contender is trailing the field, and is not in a hurry to make up ground, Trevor Denman will often say that the horse... "is a conspicuous last."

I also like when he says that a horse is winning..."with condescending ease."

Stillriledup
07-26-2010, 09:00 PM

Thats a good one.

Fans of this type of stuff are familiar with Larry Lederman who calls races on the east coast, he's the best at interjecting stuff like this into calls.

elhelmete
07-26-2010, 09:07 PM
Maybe not exactly a catch-phrase, but I do like Denman's "____ lengths would cover them all..." It helps me interpret/confirm what I'm seeing on TV or through binocs.

Stillriledup
07-26-2010, 09:15 PM
Maybe not exactly a catch-phrase, but I do like Denman's "____ lengths would cover them all..." It helps me interpret/confirm what I'm seeing on TV or through binocs.

I used 'catch phrase' in my title, but wasn't exactly sure it was catch phrases i was looking for. I wasn't sure what to call them, catch phrases seemed decent enough.

Tampa Russ
07-26-2010, 09:30 PM
"They continue that way"

Maryland Owner
07-26-2010, 10:11 PM
I love Dave Rodman's "A quarter to go at Pimlico"

fmolf
07-26-2010, 11:43 PM
heard a good one by paul allen from canterbury during the claiming crown.I cannot recall the horses name but he was leading the race and as they came out of the turn he sid' "arties boy trying to take them tee to green"....thought that was pretty clever for a wire to wire winner.

thespaah
07-26-2010, 11:51 PM
Durkin's "right at his?her throatlatch.
Vic S, "straight and strong".
Deman..."On the granstand side".

On the Harness side for those from NY... Jack Lee. "will not be denied tonight".
John Dooley... when running thru the field for the first call..."is last but one"..

BlueShoe
07-26-2010, 11:53 PM
Worst....catch....phrase....ever
Except perhaps for Trevors "Mooving like ah Winner."

turfnsport
07-27-2010, 12:02 AM

Dave is one of the best at that. Very underrated racecaller...one of my favorites.

KingChas
07-27-2010, 12:21 AM
Living in the past,but......................
He is moving like a TREMENDOUS machine! :jump:

encore;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS4f6wiQJh4

carlonr
07-27-2010, 12:43 AM
They'll have to sprout wings to catch_____________ (Treveor)

They're strung out like Monday morning's wash (Churchill announcer)

Russell Baze can read a magazine because there's nothing else left to do with ____________ (Golden Gate Announcer)

v j stauffer
07-27-2010, 01:59 AM
Dave is one of the best at that. Very underrated racecaller...one of my favorites.

Sharp post.

Kevroc
07-27-2010, 01:59 AM
Ed Burgart: 'Making 4:5 look like an absolute gift.'

Kevroc
07-27-2010, 02:02 AM

This is why Luke Kruytbosch was one of my favorites. :(

Stillriledup
07-27-2010, 03:26 AM
Ed Burgart: 'Making 4:5 look like an absolute gift.'

I like when Eddie does that.

:ThmbUp:

Market Mover
07-27-2010, 03:49 AM
The problem is good ole Mikey (Battaglia) will say this when the
rallying horse is 10 lengths from the lead and actually tiring...

Market Mover
07-27-2010, 03:57 AM
Durkin's "right at his?her throatlatch.
Vic S, "straight and strong".
Deman..."On the granstand side".

On the Harness side for those from NY... Jack Lee. "will not be denied tonight".
John Dooley... when running thru the field for the first call..."is last but one"..
John Dooley has to be one of the most underrated and exciting...he may take over the spotlight when Durkin retires...,
"...and the favorite obliges..."
".. ______ in the Wednesday 2 o'clock (or whatever was first post) opener..."

rastajenk
07-27-2010, 08:39 AM
I always chuckle here at the River when our Pete Aeillo, in the post-race rundown, says, "Winning jockey, Perry OOOOOOOOOUZTSSS" with mucho gusto. :)

wisconsin
07-27-2010, 11:03 AM
One of my favorite announcers, Dave Rodman:

"It's Say Capp and Hey Capp, neither one giving in. Hey Capp, Say Capp, Say Capp and Hey Capp. Which cap are you wearing today?"

They ran 1-2 in a head bobber. Classic.

He sometimes will also say "Bombs Awayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy" after a couple longshots run 1-2 or 1-2-3

QuarterCrack
07-27-2010, 11:14 AM
I like Peter Berry saying "Caught them in a good line...".
Or "(number) furlongs left to travel..."

Bruddah
07-27-2010, 11:18 AM
The worst phrase in racing is made by Trevor everytime the gates open. "and awaaay they go". Absolutely makes my skin crawl to hear it.

David-LV
07-27-2010, 11:18 AM
I am going to go back a little for the catch-phrases that I thought were the best.

Fred "Cappy" Capossela a legend in the announcers booth at NYRA.

The two best that I remember were,

"It is now post time"

"They're Off."

Simple, but classic and never forgotten.

http://www.brooklynbackstretch.com/2010/03/10/it-is-now-post-time-fred-cappy-capossela/

________
David-LV

BlueShoe
07-27-2010, 12:44 PM
A couple from the past that I liked and remember:
Phil Salzman---"And they are not going to get em today."
Harry Henson--"----in front running easily."

surfdog89
07-27-2010, 01:29 PM
I like when Trevor says ... In Turf races that .... there scraping paint!

ldiatone
07-27-2010, 05:09 PM
keith jones 20-1 or better "Helllllooooo" pha

thespaah
07-27-2010, 05:23 PM
John Dooley has to be one of the most underrated and exciting...he may take over the spotlight when Durkin retires...,
"...and the favorite obliges..."
".. ______ in the Wednesday 2 o'clock (or whatever was first post) opener..."
Yep.......It goes like this.....Away and running in this 2 o'clock opener.

Oh Phil Georgeff. "They begin their long journey up the back stretch".

fmhealth
07-27-2010, 05:31 PM
Mike Chamberlin at TUP. "Gone Goodbye". Mike, John Dooley, Boomer & Vic, four fine gentlemen that have great futures in this business.

wisconsin
07-27-2010, 06:23 PM
The late Kevin Goemmer:

"________ has given this field the slip!"

Kevroc
07-27-2010, 07:34 PM
"into the short stretch of the mile run." OP

:)

SmartyParty
07-27-2010, 09:14 PM
When a contender is trailing the field, and is not in a hurry to make up ground, Trevor Denman will often say that the horse... "is a conspicuous last."

I also like when he says that a horse is winning..."with condescending ease."

I thought that was perfect for Zenyatta's race!

SmartyParty
07-27-2010, 09:16 PM

Mine too!

PurplePower
07-28-2010, 12:00 AM
"into the short stretch of the mile run." OP

:)
Terry also does "Picking em up and laying em down" when a horse is moving strongly on outside (and usually doesn't make that call until he decides the closer will win it or at least be in a tight photo for that win.) When my youngest son had a bet on a horse leading nearing the wire (at LaD) and Terry would say that about a closer, my son would get really angry, as though Terry saying it actually helped the closer win.

Stillriledup
09-11-2012, 04:05 AM
The worst phrase in racing is made by Trevor everytime the gates open. "and awaaay they go". Absolutely makes my skin crawl to hear it.

How about when he says "Hout Chere MOOOOOVing like a winna"?? :D

johnhannibalsmith
09-11-2012, 11:22 AM
"...enters the Longden Lawn's backstretch run with..."

g2ZmKM91Dzs

castaway01
09-11-2012, 11:38 AM
How about when he says "Hout Chere MOOOOOVing like a winna"?? :D

I'm just amazed you spent your time finding your 2-year-old threads and restarting them.

Stillriledup
09-11-2012, 06:03 PM
I'm just amazed you spent your time finding your 2-year-old threads and restarting them.

I spent my time looking at old threads i started because i was bored with the current state of 'traffic' and interesting things to read here. How many times can you click on this forum and see that there is only 1 or 2 threads that are being replied to....there's the Paynter thread and the Frankel thread and it seems like nothing else is going on. What's the difference if its a 2 year old thread or a 10 year old thread? I'll never understand why posters get 'insulted' if someone dares bring up an old thread. Would you have prefered me to start a new thread about announcers catch phrases or bump one that was already started? If i had started a new thread about announcers catch phrases, some wise acre would have said "we covered this already" and directed me to this link.

Create some more board movement here and keep me busy and i won't have to dig up old threads to keep from falling asleep.

cj
09-11-2012, 06:10 PM
I spent my time looking at old threads i started because i was bored with the current state of 'traffic' and interesting things to read here.

What is so interesting about this one or you not knowing there was a race named for Frankel?

Dahoss9698
09-11-2012, 06:13 PM
What is so interesting about this one or you not knowing there was a race named for Frankel?

Because it involves him. He's very interesting (obviously) so all of his thoughts and opinions are interesting and people should care about them.

Duh.

Overlay
09-11-2012, 06:32 PM
When I think of Battaglia, I think of "draaaaaaaawing away".

Overlay
09-11-2012, 06:39 PM
I had a dream one night (true story!) in which I encountered Dave Johnson in a two-level shopping mall, and as he descended from the upper floor of the mall to the lower floor, I shouted, "And DOWN the stairs he comes!"

wisconsin
09-11-2012, 06:45 PM

Gainnnnnnnns grooooound

Gaaaaaaaaining ground

ponyplayerdotca
09-11-2012, 06:50 PM
I like Peter Berry saying "Caught them in a good line...".
Or "(number) furlongs left to travel..."

More of his good ones:

A closely knit field on the backstretch, "you could throw a tea cozy over them".

A widely spread out field on the backstretch, "they're strung out like brown's cows."

A tired horse on the front end, "has put the cue in the rack".

Longshot winners and upsetters, "the biggest boil over since Polly put the tea kettle on..."

kingfin66
09-11-2012, 09:12 PM

When I think of Battaglia, I think of nepotism.

Aner
09-11-2012, 09:42 PM
A couple of overused ones.

They couldn't be going any faster. Really?

And they are all comfortable with their positions. How does he know?

Stillriledup
09-12-2012, 03:39 AM

I dont know what's interesting about it, im sure to some, its not interesting at all. It does have almost 3,000 views, so, i would imagine its at least a borderline-interesting topic to many.

Stillriledup
09-12-2012, 03:41 AM
A couple of overused ones.

They couldn't be going any faster. Really?

And they are all comfortable with their positions. How does he know?

He doesnt know. He doesnt even know how to pronounce Mark DeDomenico's name even though the guy owned a great horse and has been a California owner for many years so why would we think this guy has any clue at all?

cj
09-12-2012, 09:10 AM
He doesnt know. He doesnt even know how to pronounce Mark DeDomenico's name even though the guy owned a great horse and has been a California owner for many years so why would we think this guy has any clue at all?

I wonder if he knows a stakes race has been named for Bobby Frankel already.

proximity
09-12-2012, 09:36 AM
charles town:

...... is gonna look'em in the eye, and go right on by!!

Dan Montilion
09-12-2012, 07:23 PM
Todd Creed (after a load train horn heard from right behind Bay Meadows) "the 3:49 is right on time" interrupting the call of the race and then right back to it.

John Gibson "And here they are"

Chic Anderson "We'll test these two to the wire"

Michael Wrona "_______ has lost her compass, she's running like a loose shopping cart"

RainMan
09-12-2012, 08:38 PM
A couple of goods one from about 20 yrs. ago at Atlantic City for runaway winners.
"If it was a fight they would have to stop it" and "Leading by about a 2-iron".

BeatTheChalk
09-18-2012, 03:41 PM
Dave Johnson ""..... Thuhh FLAG IS UP ''''' From the old days before technology caught up with all of the dudes .. who used to wave the Flag ..when the horses broke of the gate ...at the start.
Anyone who ever heard Dave - can not forget his distinctive sound. :D

BeatTheChalk
09-18-2012, 04:02 PM
I can hear his voice in my head. Sometimes his voice would go a
step or two higher. In fact - I 'm saying it to myself right now
":"":" GAIN.....ING GROUND ":":

ArlJim78
09-18-2012, 05:35 PM
Try listening to a Battaglia race call without actually watching the race. You realize very fast how little useful information is being conveyed. Especially towards the end when he just keeps repeating the names of the top two horses whether they are separated by a neck or three lengths, it's the same call.

"Lucky Sam, Alydars Dream, LUCK Y SAM!, AL Y DARS DREAM!, Alydars Dream"

JimG
09-18-2012, 07:42 PM
Trevor:

"He looks like he dropped in at the eighth pole" , especially if I have the horse.

Jim

PS Loved some of Costy Caras' stuff when he did CT and Shd years ago. I understand he got much of it when studying under Fred Camposella.

Maximillion
09-18-2012, 10:15 PM
The simple its "ALL" (whoever the winner was) of Phil Georgeff...

Market Mover
09-19-2012, 11:55 PM

But the problem is the two contenders are separated by three or four lengths...LOl!

Stillriledup
09-20-2012, 12:01 AM
Anyone here follow harness racing and want to throw in a few harness racing gems?

I'm sure John Bothe's ZOOOOOOMING BY would make the cut (as well as the guy at Cal Expo who stole this from Bothe and uses it constantly).

Bothe now plying his trade at Indiana Downs i believe.

duncan04
09-20-2012, 12:27 AM
Anyone here follow harness racing and want to throw in a few harness racing gems?

I'm sure John Bothe's ZOOOOOOMING BY would make the cut (as well as the guy at Cal Expo who stole this from Bothe and uses it constantly).

Bothe now plying his trade at Indiana Downs i believe.

Yeah Bothe is at Indiana Downs. He also uses the Zoooooming by during the Thoroughbred meet as well

MickJ26
09-20-2012, 01:42 AM
John Hernan, the Yonkers dude, when a horse starts backing up through the field uses "looking for a place to lay down." Always give me a chuckle.

rastajenk
09-20-2012, 07:18 AM
Bill Downes: "Coming on like an equine cannonball!"