PDA

View Full Version : Claiming Crown Handle Plunges

owlet
07-26-2010, 05:39 PM
http://www.drf.com/news/article/115117.html

SHAKOPEE, Minn. - While ontrack attendance on a day of pleasant weather held steady, and the brand of racing was solid, the all-sources handle was down considerably Saturday at the 12th annual Claiming Crown at Canterbury Park, where the dominant performers were the familiar owner-trainer-jockey team of Ken and Sarah Ramsey, Mike Maker, and Julien Leparoux.
The turnout was 11,473, typical for the Claiming Crown at Canterbury in recent years, but total handle on the 11-race card was just $2,180,222, down 24 percent from 2009 and well off the $3.6 million high in 2004 for the event at Canterbury.

For the six Claiming Crown races, total handle was $1,593,203, down a whopping 34 percent, while ontrack handle on those races was down 20 percent.

___

But hey, what's 34% among friends, right?

Stillriledup
07-26-2010, 05:44 PM
Prob down because the novelty wore off. Those are hard races to handicap, lots of shippers, serious players want to spend as little time as possible to handicap since most big players are getting rebates and betting multiple tracks. There are only so many tracks you can play, usually Canterbury isnt on most people's radar. I know personally, i've never bet or considered betting a race from Canterbury, i'd rather play races from tracks i understand where not everyone is a shipper from a different place.

The_Knight_Sky
07-26-2010, 05:51 PM
Prob down because the novelty wore off.

Oh no, now they'll never be able to sustain a million/card purse average. :lol:

OTM Al
07-26-2010, 06:29 PM
The fields just weren't as good this year than they have been. A couple fields were short and a couple others had dominant favorites. Only liked one race on the card and that's the only one I played. Next year could be completely different.

GaryG
07-26-2010, 07:09 PM
The fields just weren't as good this year than they have been. A couple fields were short and a couple others had dominant favorites. Only liked one race on the card and that's the only one I played. Next year could be completely different.I agree. I just made two bets on the card. Usually have full, competitive fields. The novelty did not wear off, it was the quality of the card plus the general downward turn of racing.

bane
07-26-2010, 07:18 PM
Last year our Asst. Racing Secretary totally forgot to put The Claming Crown on the simulcasting schedule for the week. When I brought ti to his attention he was worried he'd get in trouble for it, no buddy noticed.

sonnyp
07-26-2010, 07:31 PM
ken rudolph got the assignment solo.....what's that tell you ? the only thing that would indicate tvg thought it to be of less interest would be if they had sent greg wolf also.

that pair beats a full house all day long.

bigmack
07-26-2010, 07:32 PM
no buddy noticed.
Nary a Rich, Holly, Ebsen, Guy or Hackett?

bane
07-26-2010, 10:06 PM

Hackett. ;)

lamboguy
07-26-2010, 10:10 PM
i am sick hearing about this decline, its not a shock, but it is a sign of things to come. i have been watching the greatest meet in the world, the saratoga meet. that one is going to come up shy as well. some of the loss has to do with the ban on credit cards and the ban on illinois adw action. but i have learned in my life, if someone wants to get down they find a way. this is bad.

riskman
07-26-2010, 10:17 PM

Things must be slow on the Left Coast.

bigmack
07-26-2010, 10:54 PM
Things must be slow on the Left Coast.
Sure, Bud. At least I write my own material. Know what I'm sayin'?

I livid in Mpls for 'bout 10 er so years. We'd wrap things up in the recording studio and a few us cats would meander down Shakopee way to prove our brilliance with the equines.

Dark Star & Davidowitz waxed poetic for the "Ya, sure, you betcha crowd" It was a hoot.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/7_26_10_19_44_52.jpg

Hard to believe it's still in existence.

Claiming Crown was an interesting concept but it was a tough 'cap as previously mentioned, ShipCentral.

How anyone could not see the decline of handle is akin to people getting upset about Blockbusters closing.

The handwriting is not only on the wall it's sprayed all over the sport/game.

NJ Stinks
07-26-2010, 11:18 PM
The fields just weren't as good this year than they have been. A couple fields were short and a couple others had dominant favorites. Only liked one race on the card and that's the only one I played. Next year could be completely different.

I agree with you, Al. I played four of five races on the card including the the 3rd race which was not a Claiming Crown race. It was just too hard to find value this year.

But I still love the concept. :ThmbUp:

JohnGalt1
07-27-2010, 02:56 PM
If my memory is correct, the largest handles were when it was held a week or two before Del Mar and Saratoga.

The claiming Crown even got the cover on the Daily Racing Form when it was the biggest event of that weekend.

turfnsport
07-27-2010, 05:19 PM
I used to bet the CC every year, one of my favorite days...It just got lost in the shuffle this year with SAR, DMR, and MTH..I think they need to find a better date.

I did not even print out the PP's this year.

Tom
07-27-2010, 11:15 PM
I enjoyed the card - I ignored all the other tracks. Toga was a washout, Delmar was Delmar, Monmouth is not my cup of tea.....CC was a great day. I could give a rat's ass what the handle was. The racing was good. Nothing else matters. How the hell does handle affect me?

PurplePower
07-28-2010, 01:05 AM
I was there and it was a pretty day for racing. The crowd was vibrant, but obviously not high racing quotient. There was some value there, especially in Race 8 where 1-2 favorite and 6-1 second choice ran 1,2 and 24-1 horse ran third for a $70.00 trifecta ($1). The $1.00 super paid over $500.

They have a great buffet in the clubhouse and admission is free all this year as part of their 25th anniversary. I liked the sign above the empty ticket booths where I entered and exited, "Feel FREE to come back!"

Black Ruby
07-28-2010, 07:53 AM
I watched a couple of the CC races, but Ken Rudolph's commentary got me to focus on a different track. I expected him to kiss the track owner's feet at any moment, he was seemingly salivating over everything about the track and race card.
A couple years ago I watched TVG instead of HRTV when they showed the same tracks because the HRTV commentators were dull. Now I hope that the track I want to watch and play is on HRTV.

kenwoodall2
07-28-2010, 04:25 PM
"started at least once since January 1, 2009 for a claiming price ranging from $7,500 (or less) to $35,000 (or less)".
I could swear I have seen (optional) claiming races for $85-100k. In spite of good sponsors (booze, local bank, DRF, TVG), are claiming horses who ran only for more than $35k banned? Only 1 turf and only 1 female race! They need to expand, maybe with MN bred female turf race!

Tom
07-29-2010, 07:23 AM
I watched a couple of the CC races, but Ken Rudolph's commentary got me to focus on a different track. I expected him to kiss the track owner's feet at any moment, he was seemingly salivating over everything about the track and race card.
A couple years ago I watched TVG instead of HRTV when they showed the same tracks because the HRTV commentators were dull. Now I hope that the track I want to watch and play is on HRTV.

TVG + mute button + You Bet = good race watching. :rolleyes:

JohnGalt1
07-29-2010, 01:19 PM
This year they deleted to female turf route.

I miss it, too.