PDA

View Full Version : Trainers with the big stables...

bane
07-25-2010, 11:17 AM
The whole issue with RA this year brings up a question, would you rather your horse be taken care of by a trainer with a modest stable size or a big stable size that Pletcher and Asmussen have?

Let's face it this system that D. Wayne made almost standard for good trainers back in the 80's has hurt the industry to some degree. Some horses that are really talented might never find that hidden talent because they are in such a huge barn they are put on the back burner.

Now it's not that bad sometimes, most of these big name trainers don't look at their horses everyday but their ATs do and they are good if not better horseman than their bosses. So I can go on and argue the pros and cons of these systems later... my questions are as follow:

1. Do you prefer a trainer with a large stable roster or a smaller roster?

2. Do you think trainers are starting to go back to the older way to do it (less roster size) or will super trainers be the standard for many people?

3. Do you think RA is suffering from this system and she just is not on par from last year because she was not prepped the same?

I enjoy to hear your thoughts!

tbwinner
07-25-2010, 12:10 PM
I own horses in a partnership (and have owned on my own in the past) and I'll tell you I prefer a smaller-based trainer, one that can have his "hands-on" approach to training the horse. I want (and have) a trainer I can talk to, call up on the phone and not have to remind him who I am.

For the larger operations, it all depends I guess which area you're in and what (as you said) Assistant Trainer you get put with. I would not put horses in the claiming level with someone like Pletcher (although Asmussen does have a few).

As far as RA being a "victim" of "super" training, I don't think so. She's getting all the attention she deserves in the Asmussen barn.