PDA

View Full Version : MTH Record Handle $11,421,794 Sat. 7/24

David-LV
07-25-2010, 11:03 AM
Monmouth Record Handle $11,421,794 Sat. 7/24

Thank you Rachel Alexandra.

Wagering on the card totaled $11,421,794, a new record for Monmouth Park outside of a Breeders’ Cup or Haskell Day in track history. The previous mark of $9,787,620 was set on July 3rd this year.

.50 cent pick 5 with only a 15% takeout paid $13,245

________
David-LV

MONMOUTH="A SCORE AT THE SHORE."

jelly
07-25-2010, 12:23 PM
Haskell Day will be around 15 Million.

CincyHorseplayer
07-25-2010, 12:24 PM
The lure at the shore!!That is impressive.

Robert Goren
07-25-2010, 12:33 PM
I thought we were done with someone starting a new tread on the handle every time Mth races. :bang:

GaryG
07-25-2010, 12:35 PM
I thought we were done with someone starting a new tread on the handle every time Mth races. :bang:Robert, you really need to let this hostility toward Mth go. You would have been ecstatic if the numbers were way down.

OTM Al
07-25-2010, 12:42 PM
Unfortunately the handle was only worth approximately their formal high water mark due to losing money on the $1.3 million bet to show. Thanks Rachel! Still a good showing given all else.

Tom
07-25-2010, 01:10 PM
I thought we were done with someone starting a new tread on the handle every time Mth races. :bang:

Maybe we could one every race, just so that everyone in the free world knows. Including both who care.:rolleyes:

OTM Al
07-25-2010, 02:04 PM
You guys want to see real hostility, go check out the "How I saved $1730" thread. Dude hits a nice P5 at Monmouth and still finds something to complain about.

andtheyreoff
07-25-2010, 02:38 PM
Robert, you really need to let this hostility toward Mth go. You would have been ecstatic if the numbers were way down.

Very sharp post.

InTheRiver68
07-25-2010, 09:46 PM
Unfortunately the handle was only worth approximately their formal high water mark due to losing money on the $1.3 million bet to show. Thanks Rachel! Still a good showing given all else.
Monmouth only lost money on show wagers (on Rachel) that were bet *at* Monmouth.

- InTheRiver68

The_Knight_Sky
07-25-2010, 11:08 PM
Haskell Day will be around 15 Million.

The all-time Haskell Day attendance is 53,638 fans (2003)
That should be intact after next Sunday.

The all-sources handle record is $17,642,955 (2008).
That is in serious jeopardy this year.

I think we all want quality, so I'm sort of hoping
they don't make the card a 12 races + 1 extra marathon session.

http://i26.tinypic.com/2v2i8h1.jpg

point given
07-25-2010, 11:44 PM
Just hope the weather mellows out a bit and the handle record should be exceeded with the stellar cast signed on to contest the Haskell. Speaking of which who do you like ? I'm guessing Lucky even if he missed a little training time.

alhattab
07-26-2010, 08:15 AM
The all-time Haskell Day attendance is 53,638 fans (2003)
That should be intact after next Sunday.

The all-sources handle record is $17,642,955 (2008).
That is in serious jeopardy this year.

I think we all want quality, so I'm sort of hoping
they don't make the card a 12 races + 1 extra marathon session.

Haskell Day typically has 14 races

onefast99
07-26-2010, 08:43 AM
Just hope the weather mellows out a bit and the handle record should be exceeded with the stellar cast signed on to contest the Haskell. Speaking of which who do you like ? I'm guessing Lucky even if he missed a little training time.
Low to mid 80's slight cloud cover and a chance of a passing shower. Last year we saw torrential downpours and high humidity.

Kimsus
07-26-2010, 09:09 AM
Frankly I am surprised, but good for Monmouth, good for racing, good for fans.

OTM Al
07-26-2010, 09:10 AM
Monmouth only lost money on show wagers (on Rachel) that were bet *at* Monmouth.

- InTheRiver68

Yes, but somebody else lost the rest. He's reporting total handle, this is total effect. Most likely very little of it was bet at Monmouth, so by allowing show wagering, they jacked their ADW partners. Of course the place pool probably would have got bombed too.

Dahoss9698
07-26-2010, 09:25 AM
Frankly I am surprised, but good for Monmouth, good for racing, good for fans.

Call me surprised and skeptical on the accuracy of the numbers. Handle seems totally unrealistic and there is no way the attendance numbers are accurate.

David-LV
07-26-2010, 10:15 AM
Call me surprised and skeptical on the accuracy of the numbers. Handle seems totally unrealistic and there is no way the attendance numbers are accurate.

Interesting, where can I find the information that backs up your statement or are you just throwing out more negative talk off the top of your head.

It appears that you have some kind of axe to grind where Monmouth is concerned.

_________
David-LV

OTM Al
07-26-2010, 10:18 AM

There was a give away of a Rachel T shirt

Dahoss9698
07-26-2010, 10:29 AM
Interesting, where can I find the information that backs up your statement or are you just throwing out more negative talk off the top of your head.

It appears that you have some kind of axe to grind where Monmouth is concerned.

_________
David-LV

Everyone that I have talked to that was at the track thought the place seemed empty. Plus if they were giving away a shirt, the attendance numbers are off. No big deal, everyone does it. I just find it hard to believe they handled that much with NYRA also taking in $16,494,077 on Saturday. I know Delaware and Philadelphia were closed, but still.

No axe to grind. Just like seeing both sides represented. Sorry if that bothers you.

The_Knight_Sky
07-26-2010, 10:45 AM
Everyone that I have talked to that was at the track thought the place seemed empty.

Liars. All of them.

http://i29.tinypic.com/261m9ud.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/the_knight_sky/)

the little guy
07-26-2010, 10:53 AM
Liars. All of them.

http://i29.tinypic.com/261m9ud.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/the_knight_sky/)

That does seem surprisingly empty for a paddock area with Rachel running...but don't there have to be people in other areas?

I get how hard it is to get people to the track, especially when the temperature is over 100, and think 12K plus was a great job by Monmouth....but I guess with your photo you are suggesting they didn't have that many. It doesn't matter really. I'm sure those that came had a great time.

The_Knight_Sky
07-26-2010, 11:01 AM
That does seem surprisingly empty for a paddock area
with Rachel running...but don't there have to be people in other areas?

That was taken about 25 minutes before the 11th race (The Lady's Secret).

And moments after I snapped Mr. Asmussen entering the paddock to await Rachel arrival from the backstretch.

Rutgers
07-26-2010, 01:00 PM
Based on the equibase figures for attendance (12,859) and on-track handle ($931,065), the average per person handle on MP was about $72, which is about normal for a crowd of about 12,859 at MP. So even though there may have been a few "spinners" the actual crowd number is probably pretty close to the figure given. Even if you increased the per person by $5 and made it $77, that would still mean there was 12K+ a good size crowd by today’s standard.

onefast99
07-26-2010, 02:25 PM
That does seem surprisingly empty for a paddock area with Rachel running...but don't there have to be people in other areas?

I get how hard it is to get people to the track, especially when the temperature is over 100, and think 12K plus was a great job by Monmouth....but I guess with your photo you are suggesting they didn't have that many. It doesn't matter really. I'm sure those that came had a great time.
The picnic area was packed, the tents were packed and the 2 teletheatres with air conditioning were packed. It just seems that the grandstand and the apron had very few people sitting in them.

andymays
07-26-2010, 02:49 PM
http://www.northjersey.com/sports/Rowe_Rachel_Alexandra_rules_at_Monmouth.html

Excerpt:

The race was anticlimactic, except for the fans who bet more than $1.2 million on Rachel Alexandra to win and those insecure bettors who plunked down $1.3 million on her to show. Since she paid $2.20 to win and $2.10 to show, you have to assume the $2 bettors, realizing a big score was out of the question, were content with winning ticket souvenirs.

comet52
07-26-2010, 05:25 PM
They lied :liar: about the attendance. Some guys on this board who never miss a beat :sleeping: and were there in person counting the crowd :lol: told me so. I trust these guys cuz that is their mission in life, to right the wrongs :mad: and injustices :cool: of the horseracing world. If only someone would listen to them :rolleyes: this would be a better universe than the one we now live in, amen. :blush:

the little guy
07-26-2010, 06:27 PM
That was taken about 25 minutes before the 11th race (The Lady's Secret).

And moments after I snapped Mr. Asmussen entering the paddock to await Rachel arrival from the backstretch.

Wow, that really is surprising.

So, how many people do you actually think they had given that you think the real attendance was much lower?

onefast99
07-27-2010, 05:42 PM
Wow, that really is surprising.

So, how many people do you actually think they had given that you think the real attendance was much lower?
First of all the picture was taken from the mid point of paddock way leading to the track(to the right)and on the other end(far left) is the paddock itself. This was also taken on the club house side. Most people go right next to the paddock area itself or the mounting area for the best and longest views of the horses. At that time the picture was taken say 25 minutes prior to the race people were still making their way from the picnic area to the paddock. If a picture of the paddock area was taken just as the horses were heading to the track you would see just how crowded it really was. I doubt there was 13000 there as that seemed high for a brutally hot day, but 11ish is probably a good number based on the track handle.