PDA

View Full Version : The San Clemente

OTM Al
07-25-2010, 08:19 AM
Let's head out to Del Mar for what looks to be the most interesting stakes race of the day. Don't worry true believers, it's on the turf.

Going for a mild upset in this one with Switch. This will be her first on the turf, but she has been working just fine on it and the mile distance looks to be right in her wheel house. Add to the fact that Sadler brings them back well after short breaks and his first turf and synth to turf numbers are very good, the 6-1 ML would be very generous.

I find Evening Jewel vulnerable here. She may well be the class of this field, but I think the mile distance may be short for her. Not terribly familiar with the Del Mar condition book, but I find this an odd choice of races for her. I will use her but underneath only.

Iz Tiz is stepping up but has shown that a mile on the turf is a good spot for her. This will be a third off the layoff for her after wins at the distance in her first 2.

Hate Fortunia and hope she is a big money drain. With her coming off a big top last and Evening Jewel and Crisp in the race, could get a price here.

The play will be exactas as always, 5/6+9 and a (5+9) box as a saver.

Rise Over Run
07-25-2010, 08:47 AM
I find Evening Jewel vulnerable here. She may well be the class of this field, but I think the mile distance may be short for her. Not terribly familiar with the Del Mar condition book, but I find this an odd choice of races for her. I will use her but underneath only.

I think you only need to worry about the Stakes schedule with her. I'm assuming the plan is San Clemente today, then the Del Mar Oaks on August 21. They did bypass the American Oaks at 10f on July 3 for this race, and the American Oaks was a pretty weak G1 field. I wouldn't play any of the horses coming out of that race today (4,7,11), although I think the winner (Harmonious) could be a real nice filly. Both Sadler horses look like decent alternatives to the likely favorite, Evening Jewel.

OTM Al
07-25-2010, 12:37 PM
Now I'm nervous. Frank M. on tvg just picked the same ones as I did and threw out the same for much the same reasons.....Well I made mine public first!

nijinski
07-25-2010, 06:14 PM
Picking Fortunia, Switch, Conniption .

WinterTriangle
07-25-2010, 07:11 PM
Hard race. I'm going to play an exotic, and definitely have to include a big longshot, Crisis of Spirit. Baffert can't be ignored given his stakes % and he's put a few nice long works into this one, with good w/o figs. Pedroza rides. Another one I like is City to City. Won 3 on turf with respectable speed figs, and is ITM 80% of the time. Getting Bejarano is a plus, he's ITM a few times today already. Crisp can't be left off any tickets, IMHO and will come closing at the end. And I really don't think you can leave Fortunia off a ticket having raced against older with good figures, ditto Evening Jewel.

1,7 / 1,7,2,6/ 2,6,8,9

for superfecta just repeat last ones and/or add the 5 and 11

I am leary of Switch, having never run on turf. He's run against real class, and if he runs like he does on AW he'll make a great longshot for the win. I just can't put him in win spot given 49 days off and no turf experience. have to let this one go. Hope he comes in for whoever has him to win, it's a good pick.

nijinski
07-25-2010, 08:25 PM
Hard race. I'm going to play an exotic, and definitely have to include a big longshot, Crisis of Spirit. Baffert can't be ignored given his stakes % and he's put a few nice long works into this one, with good w/o figs. Pedroza rides. Another one I like is City to City. Won 3 on turf with respectable speed figs, and is ITM 80% of the time. Getting Bejarano is a plus, he's ITM a few times today already. Crisp can't be left off any tickets, IMHO and will come closing at the end. And I really don't think you can leave Fortunia off a ticket having raced against older with good figures, ditto Evening Jewel.

1,7 / 1,7,2,6/ 2,6,8,9

for superfecta just repeat last ones and/or add the 5 and 11

I am leary of Switch, having never run on turf. He's run against real class, and if he runs like he does on AW he'll make a great longshot for the win. I just can't put him in win spot given 49 days off and no turf experience. have to let this one go. Hope he comes in for whoever has him to win, it's a good pick.
Not concerned about Switch , it may suit her style. , Dam's pedigree did well on grass , I also
liked that the last two works were on grass.

nijinski
07-25-2010, 08:36 PM
Just caught post parade .
Noticed Fortunia seny out Euro style sans pony. Guess it's still in his blood.
OOOOPS , just saw the pony at her side.

bisket
07-25-2010, 08:38 PM
5$ tri box :4: :6: :9:
5$ ex box :4: :6: :9:
20$ win :4:

OTM Al
07-25-2010, 08:47 PM
Looks like bisket got a score here. Awful stretch trip for Switch. May not have won but should have had second at least. Second would have got me nothing, but it does look like Switch is pretty good on the turf.

bisket
07-25-2010, 08:47 PM
still can't believe the :4: was 25-1

bisket
07-25-2010, 08:48 PM
didn't get the bob

nijinski
07-25-2010, 08:51 PM
5$ tri box :4: :6: :9:
5$ ex box :4: :6: :9:
20$ win :4:

Sorry to see the seven spoiled your tri . Good picks though.

I hae to stop picking with my heart , just do not like Cassidy and Hollendorfer.
Have to stick with the other coast lol .

bisket
07-25-2010, 08:55 PM
winter? i hope you threw her in there!!!

bigmack
07-25-2010, 08:59 PM
EJ could have sprinted over to The Brig, had a plate of Oysters Rock, run back and run another mile on the blades after that. She looked awfully strong.

WinterTriangle
07-25-2010, 09:23 PM
winter? i hope you threw her in there!!!

well, did you play my 7 or 1? ;)

Never got to even PLAY the race.
Winds went to 40mph and the lightning and monsoons started, had to unplug everything in the house.:eek:

WinterTriangle
07-25-2010, 09:26 PM
still can't believe the :4: was 25-1

I was surprised too since brisnet PPs had him FIRST.:)

OTM Al
07-25-2010, 09:26 PM
didn't get the bob

That must be some angle on the turf course. I switched off right after they crossed the wire assuming it was 6 - 4

bisket
07-25-2010, 09:50 PM
well, did you play my 7 or 1? ;)

Never got to even PLAY the race.
Winds went to 40mph and the lightning and monsoons started, had to unplug everything in the house.:eek:
i liked both ( :1: :7: ) of them as much as i liked :9: it tiz. i would have had to go to 10 cent supers to put them all in. i was confident of weekend being right there at the end, and went with larger bet amounts. instead of adding extra horses. weekend moved up considerably in her first turf race. just like city; weekend just needed the shorter distance. i guess bettors just weren't comfortable with weekend because she was still eligible for non winners of 1. i wasn't worried about that because she got plenty of experience running on the poly trying to break her maiden. all weekend needed all along was the turf!!! hope everythings ok

bisket
07-25-2010, 09:53 PM
That must be some angle on the turf course. I switched off right after they crossed the wire assuming it was 6 - 4
i'll have to look at the replays, but the :4: was moving better shortly before the wire. then for some reason she seemed to lose her momentum? :confused: i wonder if the jock did me in?

bisket
07-25-2010, 11:34 PM
jock went to the whip shortly before the wire, and didn't give the weekend magic room with the reins to stretch her head :faint: . 25-1 doesn't come tied up in a neat package. :bang: here the replay
http://www.drf.com/replays/savedreplays.jsp?RACE=863