PDA

View Full Version : St. Trinians

Audioslavery
07-25-2010, 03:20 AM
St Trinians to miss Hirsch; no Zenyatta rematch
By Steve Andersen

DEL MAR, Calif. - St Trinians, who gave the undefeated champion Zenyatta a scare in the Grade 1 Vanity Handicap at Hollywood Park in June before losing by a half-length, will miss an expected start in the $300,000 Clement Hirsch Stakes at Del Mar on Aug. 7 because of soreness, trainer Mike Mitchell said on Saturday.

St Trinians will be turned out and pointed for a 2011 campaign, Mitchell said. The decision was reached on Saturday after consulting with owners Dan Capen and Laura Chavers.

~~read the rest here (http://drf.com/news/article/115095.html)~

Wow, that horse really ran her heart out against Zen; and she was no creampuff to begin with.

Robert Fischer
07-25-2010, 11:07 AM
It's really amazing that Mike Mitchell was able to have her perform at that level, as bad as her left front appears.

classhandicapper
07-25-2010, 11:24 AM
This section was good fuel for a debate about bouncing.

"We're not going to run," Mitchell said. "I blew her out at Hollywood Park and I brought her down here and she's body sore and stiff. If I were to blame it on anything, I'd blame it on taking on Zenyatta."

Mitchell said that if he pressed St Trinians into a start in the Clement Hirsch, which is run at 1 1/16 miles at equal weights, she would probably not run well. "If there is ever going to be a time she'll bounce, it's this time," he said

Mitchell has tentative plans to start St Trinians in the major stakes for older fillies and mares in California in 2011 when Zenyatta, owned by Jerry and Ann Moss, is scheduled to be retired and bred.

"I hope the Mosses stick to their guns and retire that mare," Mitchell said.