PDA

View Full Version : Pony tales from Haskin

Grits
07-24-2010, 10:41 AM
http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/horse-racing-steve-haskin/archive/2010/07/22/pony-tales.aspx

Nice story updated from Steve H.

These boys were some real characters. Particularly Slew's, Steamboat. Would love to have seen Cosell's hair going one way and he going another.

Funny, funny stuff.:lol:

(Joanie, you'll love each of 'em. Great read.)

TheBid9
07-24-2010, 11:49 AM
Thanks so much for the article, Grits. I truly enjoyed reading about these unsung heroes. Thanks again.

joanied
07-25-2010, 04:17 PM
Hey Grits...thanks so much for posting 'Pony Tales'...fantastic read, enjoyed every word, and he really does need to publish a book on the stable ponies, with photos maybe by Barbara Livingston...
every one was a great story, and some were pretty damned funny...I want more of these stories:jump: ...
the article had one small typo that bothered me a bit...

For Steamboat, another life awaited him following Seattle Slew’s retirement. “After the Slew era was over he was pretty crippled up with arthritis and wasn’t getting any better,” Turner said. “Jim Daly, the main outrider in New York, had some connections out on Long Island, and we gave him to a school for the handicapped. He was ideal for that, because he loved kids. He hated me, but he loved kids. He had a great life there and died about five years later.”

Haskins spelled Jim's last name wrong...it's Dailey...used to hang out at the Dailey home alot in high school... Jim's oldest kids were my friends, especially his son Jimmy, and daughters Barbara and Jean...Jean married Dennis Ward and is Wesley's mom.
Jim Dailey, and his son Jimmy, who was a pony boy, had fantastic ponies...and Jim's really served him well because I think Mr. Dailey rescued more ex. riders in the mornings than any other outrider...he was a legend in his own time.

made my day, Grits...thanks!

Grits
07-25-2010, 04:34 PM
Joanie, I knew you'd love it. Too, its great to learn about Mr.Dailey from one who knew he and his family.;)

joanied
07-25-2010, 06:13 PM
Joanie, I knew you'd love it. Too, its great to learn about Mr.Dailey from one who knew he and his family.;)

mentioning Mr. Dailey, I did a little search, and came up with this SI article from back in 1985:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1119089/index.htm

It's about Wesley's riding career, and the first sentence says how Jim Dailey put a 4 year old Wesley on the back on his pony...brings back a lot of memories, Grits...Mr. Dailey died too young, he was only 54. I was told years ago that it was from complications during a surgery. He and his wife had 7 kids...and that house was such fun to hang out at...his son, my dear friend, Jimmy, I found out also died very young...I beleive he was in his 20's and it tore me up when I found out Jimmy was gone...he & jean looked just like their dad...and let me tell ya, Grits...you spoke about how good looking Steve Asmussen is (yes, he needs to loose about 50 lbs!!)...well, Mr. Dailey was a 'lady killer'...man, was he ever a handsome Irish son of a gun!!!
If you ever see any photos of Secretariat coming back to the winner's circle after the Belmont Stakes, Mr. Dailey was the outrider...he was also on his pony on the backstretch when Rufiian broke down and is in some of the photos they took of the horror.

Thanks for the memories!!