PDA

View Full Version : Harvey Pack

Bill F
07-24-2010, 05:48 AM
Too bad Harvey's not at Saratoga, but quite a kick to see him on the DRF site.

http://www1.drf.com/news/article/115072.html

Grits
07-24-2010, 06:38 AM
Thank you for posting. This was GREAT. Harvey's still got it! Of course.

He's been terribly missed.

BELMONT 6-6-09
07-24-2010, 07:47 AM
I remember years ago when Harvey had the padock club. His wit and humor were a source of entertainment on a cold and dreary November afternoon. One point to make is that Harvey was always for the horseplayer. His tips and pointers were all for the enjoyment of the player. I used to like at Saratoga when he gave Andy Serling the business...this was all in fun as they both have a great friendship.

wisconsin
07-24-2010, 10:07 AM
Harvey's book, "May The Horse Be With You", is a must-read for anyone who has ever heard him. Very good read, and actually, a neat story of his life.

PaceAdvantage
07-24-2010, 12:17 PM
Harvey Pack is awesome/hilarious...thanks for posting that! Grits is right...Harvey certainly still has got it....the ultimate racing funny man....

What a true original...

WJ47
07-24-2010, 12:23 PM
I love Harvey Pack! I downloaded May the Horse Be With You to my Kindle. What a great read for anyone who loves betting horses.

Lasix67
07-24-2010, 12:24 PM
That was Great!!!!!

jognlope
07-24-2010, 12:25 PM
It's not the same without him, his jabs at Andy. Miss him too. Hope he's well.

thespaah
07-24-2010, 02:22 PM
I got to speak with Mr. Pack on many occasions. He always kept himself accessible to the public.
I would catch him leaving the Padock Club at whatever track it may have been. He was a "walk and talk" type.
Always on his way to somehwere. Good guy though. Has a dry sense of humor.
One thing I learned about him early on is he did not care for being asked "who do you like in the (fill in the blank) race".
I would think of a question or two to ask hm about handicapping, etc. and he always took the time to answer as best he could. Like I said, he is just a nice guy.

aaron
07-24-2010, 02:22 PM
NYRA should have had a Harvey Pack Day.

The Hawk
07-24-2010, 03:09 PM
NYRA should have had a Harvey Pack Day.

Agreed, a stakes race at the very least. Or do they already have that?

Java Gold@TFT
07-24-2010, 06:08 PM
I used to go to the Paddock Club many years ago when Harvey had Paul Cornman and Andy Beyer as guests on Saturdays. That was long before people knew who they were outside of insiders. Harvey was the best at reigning them in when they put on too much bravado. Long live Harvey.

thespaah
07-24-2010, 09:22 PM
I used to go to the Paddock Club many years ago when Harvey had Paul Cornman and Andy Beyer as guests on Saturdays. That was long before people knew who they were outside of insiders. Harvey was the best at reigning them in when they put on too much bravado. Long live Harvey.He was rough on Corman, but in a humorous fashion. Harvey would intro Paul and say "And Paul Cornamn will give you his picks and attempt to bury you"....
Beyer was a frequent Paddock Club guest especially at Saratoga. Harvey had Russ Harris as a guest quite frequently as well.

SaratogaSteve
07-24-2010, 11:13 PM
One year, when Cornman was having success as a part-owner, Harvey said something like 'it's bad enough Paul will give you chalk, but he's going to be betting today w/ NYRA's money today...'

he was also good w/ John Pricci and Bill Finley back when they wrote for the papers...

jefftune
07-24-2010, 11:29 PM
I miss seeing Harvey at Saratoga. He has quite a sense of humor. At one of the seminars at Siro's he made a sly comment about mud "caulks." Totally went over everyone's head, lol.

LottaKash
07-24-2010, 11:33 PM
" PACK @THE TRACK "....:ThmbUp: :)

best,

NJ Stinks
07-24-2010, 11:40 PM
Thanks for posting this, Bill.

Harvey just makes me smile. :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

aharon5741
07-24-2010, 11:50 PM
Thanks for posting, I also highly recommended reading "May the Horse be With You".

Bill F
07-25-2010, 07:24 AM
Watching Harvey at 6:30 nightly on Sports Channel was must see TV for this horseplayer back in the 80s and 90s.

In addition to to some of the regulars already mentioned, such as Paul Cornman, Steve Crist, Bill Finley, Russ Harris, and John Pricci, I remember Clocker Louie, and of course the immortal Tony Dimucci. If not mistaken, I think Dimooch once actually picked an on air winner (which kept him coming back, even though his contrarian picks must have connected at less than 10%).

Those were fun days....Too bad NYRA brought in Kenny Noe(it all), who made a lot of changes that certainly were not for the player.....who were they for? I believe it was under Noe's regime, when Nyra was foolish enough to let Harvey leave....As shown by this thread, Harvey is beloved by most horseplayers (especially in the NY area), and to lose one of racing's greatest Goodwill Ambassadors was definitely high on the list of stupid moves that racing management has made.

Alas, as Harvey says (throwing program) that's done, lets start fresh, we've got all new races from which to pick some winners!

May the Horse be with you!

BMustang
07-25-2010, 11:00 AM
One of the great lines from the book was when Kenny Noe told Harvey that he was letting him go becasue NYRA wanted to go "in a different direction."

Harvey said they did - Down!!!!