PDA

View Full Version : NYRA Stewards to Explain Decisions Regarding Official Order of Finish

andymays
07-23-2010, 03:16 PM
http://www.drf.com/news/article/115038.html

Excerpt:

An explanation of all stewards' decisions regarding the official order of finish in races run at all three New York Racing Association racetracks is being made available to the public beginning with Friday's opening day program at Saratoga.

The three stewards, one of whom is appointed by NYRA, a second by the New York State Racing and Wagering Board, and a third by the Jockey Club, will provide an explanation of the reasoning behind their decisions following all inquiries and objections whether or not any changes are made to the original order of finish. That explanation will immediately be forwarded to the track's media department, which will post the information on both the NYRA television feed as well as on the new Steward's Corner section on NYRA.com.

andymays
07-23-2010, 03:24 PM
NY Stewards to Provide Explanations | BloodHorse.com

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/58031/ny-stewards-to-provide-explanations

Excerpt:

“We are fully supportive of any efforts to improve communication to racing fans, and commend NYRA and the NYSRWB for their efforts in this regard,” said James L. Gagliano, president and chief operating officer of The Jockey Club. “This new initiative should serve as a model for other racing jurisdictions throughout the country.”

Tom
07-23-2010, 07:40 PM
How pathetic is it that something so basic warrants a news story?
This is just required, IMHO. How can you justify screwing some bettors and not explaining your actions? What's next on the list of innovations, flushing toilets? :rolleyes:

This game really amuses me at times. This one rates with up there with colored saddle cloths for hi-tech cutting edge racing history!

thespaah
07-23-2010, 07:45 PM
How pathetic is it that something so basic warrants a news story?
This is just required, IMHO. How can you justify screwing some bettors and not explaining your actions? What's next on the list of innovations, flushing toilets? :rolleyes:

This game really amuses me at times. This one rates with up there with colored saddle cloths for hi-tech cutting edge racing history!
Just a minute! Do you imply that every Steward's decision "screws" the bettors?
Does every penalty call in a football game screw the penalized team?

Tom
07-23-2010, 07:53 PM
Every DQ screws someone. I merely implied that having to why it was done seems to be rather a no-brianer, not a news story.

thespaah
07-23-2010, 08:02 PM
Every DQ screws someone. I merely implied that having to why it was done seems to be rather a no-brianer, not a news story.
I disagree. If a rule is violated the right thing to do is place the guilty party behind the one(s) interfered with. No one is getting screwed. It's the rules.

Please do not try to tell me you've never been "pulled up" by a DQ...If you were pulled up(through a DQ), did you give the money back or tear up the ticket?....Of course not.
"Every DQ screws someone"....Bitter, Very bitter.

Tom
07-23-2010, 08:36 PM
You are missing the point here.

thespaah
07-23-2010, 08:41 PM
You are missing the point here.Ok...Make it.
I understand your point about this not being news. I think full disclosure should be SOP.
What I don't understand is your statemant that every DQ results in someone getting screwed.
Perhaps that is a subject for another thread ,but since you opened the door...

Tom
07-23-2010, 11:32 PM
If I have to explain it, it's not worth my time.

PaceAdvantage
07-24-2010, 02:27 AM
What I don't understand is your statemant that every DQ results in someone getting screwed.What's to understand? It should be a no-brainer.

When a horse gets DQ'd, there a bunch of folks who just went from being winners to being losers. They are going to feel they just got screwed, regardless of whether the DQ looks warranted...

There you go...

Java Gold@TFT
07-24-2010, 03:24 AM
I bet Vineyard Haven last year at the Spa and didn't feel I got screwed by the DQ. He deserved to come down. I don't feel like everyone who gets beat on a DQ feels they got screwed. If the horse interfered with another than it should come down and the stewards in this case now just have to explain why. On track it's been an ongoing practice anyway. Just watch the NYRA feed and after a DQ Durkin will talk over the replay of the interference. The only thing that isn't already transparent is when a horse DOESN'T come down. Those decisions should also be made public.

onefast99
07-24-2010, 08:42 AM
I bet Vineyard Haven last year at the Spa and didn't feel I got screwed by the DQ. He deserved to come down. I don't feel like everyone who gets beat on a DQ feels they got screwed. If the horse interfered with another than it should come down and the stewards in this case now just have to explain why. On track it's been an ongoing practice anyway. Just watch the NYRA feed and after a DQ Durkin will talk over the replay of the interference. The only thing that isn't already transparent is when a horse DOESN'T come down. Those decisions should also be made public.
So Durkin is given the explanation from the stewards and then tells the public I thought that was already being done?

thespaah
07-24-2010, 09:10 AM
What's to understand? It should be a no-brainer.

When a horse gets DQ'd, there a bunch of folks who just went from being winners to being losers. They are going to feel they just got screwed, regardless of whether the DQ looks warranted...

There you go...
LOL!!! I don't look at it that way. There are rules. When we bet on the races we take a risk.
Obviously I am looking at the word "screwed" in a different context.
To me, when someone gets screwed or "the shaft" it is a deliberate act of unkindness by another.
In this instance, the Stewards are doing their job. They make rulings based on they have seen and apply the rules. They are certainly not( one would hope)sitting there thinking, to themselves. "in what way can we alter the finish to screw as many people as possible".
By saying every ruling made by the Stewards results in a scewing, it implies that the Stewards should make NO rulings so no one feels bad? Why have rules then?

I have been pulled down before. Been pulled up as well.
Some rulings I thought were qustionable. But that is sports.
Heck I lost a Pick 4 by getting pulled down. I was mad. Until I saw the head on. My horse took out two others. What can ya do? Should the Stewards have left the order of finish intact? Hell no. I lost my bet. So what. I decided to engage in all the inherent risks of placing a wager. It is what it is.

PhantomOnTour
07-24-2010, 10:04 AM
This is like passing legislation that requires a police officer to tell you the reason why he pulled you over....a no brainer, but why did it take so long???

It's not about one's definition of the word 'screwed'. The basic idea is that bettors will now get an explanation of why a DQ was deemed to be the proper course of action by the stewards...a rare idea that all of us should support. It's about fargin time.

ukbro00
07-25-2010, 10:23 PM
This is a news story, because no other track even thinks about doing something like this. NYRA is going to have stewards explain every deicison that they make concerning inquires and objections, even when no action is taken. The system worked great today, explaining why no action was taken when two horses, in two different races, had poor starts.