PDA

View Full Version : Martin Dermer

timtam
08-15-2003, 09:01 AM
I was sorry to read about the passing of Martin Dermer. A few years back I purchased his picks for a short time and although they were ok I still liked handicapping on my own. I spoke to him several times and he always treated me fairly and like a gentleman. I know he had a long history of jobs at various tracks and although I never really used his picks I did check his web site for his free pick daily. His son and another gentleman are going to continue the service but I feel like I lost a friend and the game lost another fine person. I hope the announcer calls all your horses home first Marty ! Thanks for letting me know you even in a small capacity.

Valuist
08-15-2003, 10:08 AM
He was an excellent handicapper. Track bias was his big factor, and anyone who plays Chicago tracks knows that bias is huge in racing here. He switched circuits a few years ago to Southern California with his racingdigest.com site.

I remember seeing him a number of times in the Arlington Trackside Dining room. He and Johnny Morris and Gene Siskel would be in the back room of the dining room with their own teller. Some major money would be put thru those tote machines.