PDA

View Full Version : California Clocker on TVG

PhantomOnTour
07-22-2010, 12:20 AM
Can't remember the guy's name, but TVG had a clocker on this morning who gave out a couple of horses for Del Mar today. Catsalot in R6 and Vindicated Ghost in R7 (as well as that Candy horse in the feature, who won). The other two finished dead last. I am sure there are good private clockers out there; their info (if good) is priceless. Does anyone buy clocker reports and how do you like them? Sure this topic has come up before; sorry to be redundant. Wish someone else had seen this today and remembers this guy's name.

sonnyp
07-22-2010, 12:47 AM
i saw the young guy wearing the shorts and t-shirt. didn't catch his name, but a lot of what they're selling is b.s.

the biggest edge they can provide is with the maiden babies. if they're good they can eliminate many "no talent" babies and put somebody onto "live" runners in their first start.
had a buddy a couple years ago who used a first timer one clocker touted as having ability in a pick six tkt. apparently none of the other clockers thought the colt could run.

he won and the pick six came back $250,000.

KingChas
07-22-2010, 12:50 AM
Can't remember the guy's name, but TVG had a clocker on this morning who gave out a couple of horses for Del Mar today.

He's a clocker at Hollywood Park.

furlong
07-22-2010, 07:54 AM
Can't remember the guy's name, but TVG had a clocker on this morning who gave out a couple of horses for Del Mar today. Catsalot in R6 and Vindicated Ghost in R7 (as well as that Candy horse in the feature, who won). The other two finished dead last. I am sure there are good private clockers out there; their info (if good) is priceless. Does anyone buy clocker reports and how do you like them? Sure this topic has come up before; sorry to be redundant. Wish someone else had seen this today and remembers this guy's name.

I've used Wizard's service of Today's Racing Digest and found it to be a complete waste of time...his selections are not good either. TIFWIW

andymays
07-22-2010, 08:49 AM
I didn't see it but it might have been Donald Harris. He is pretty good.

You can't judge a clocker by only a few workout comments. Do your handicapping then get your contenders and then look at workouts since raced and the comments about them to refine your contenders.

Generally workouts of 3 an 4 furlongs don't tell you much. Workouts at 6 furlongs can tell you a lot. Team works are important as well. In my opinion Bruno De Julio and his staff are the best. There have been several times where I've had two or three workout services and they have completely opposite opinions of a workout. Over the years Bruno and his staff have proven to be right more often than the rest. There have been several instances of team workouts where the clockers misidentified the team. Every time I've checked Bruno got the workmates right.

lamboguy
07-22-2010, 08:56 AM
why would a clocker come on television and give out horses that train well to begin with?

andymays
07-22-2010, 09:03 AM
why would a clocker come on television and give out horses that train well to begin with?

Publicity and free advertising.

There are so many clockers out here that there aren't any real secrets. Some clockers have better opinions and analysis than others.

PhantomOnTour
07-22-2010, 10:43 AM
Seems all these clocker services are Cali based. Any in NY or Kentucky that anyone knows of?

exiles
07-22-2010, 11:50 AM

Clocker's reports will put you on more losers than you thought was possible, they also will take you off a lot of winners,waste of money.:ThmbDown:

Canarsie
07-22-2010, 12:47 PM

My hunch is he'll be advertising a sheet on TVG lets see how that plays out.

thespaah
07-22-2010, 04:32 PM
I heard this from three different people who at one time or another worked in the T-Bred racing industry.
That is , trainers lie to clockers. The trainers will tell the clockers they are are working horses A, B and C when they are actually working horses D, E and F..
I kind of sloughed that off figuring there have to be rules inplace to prevent this kind of chicanery. I have always taken published works at face value assuming they are accurate.

Anyone have any input on this?

KingChas
07-23-2010, 12:21 AM

This thread is overhyping the actual show.
The kid (Hollywood Clocker) was a young guy casually dressed ,that was a freind of the hosts.
His stint was brief with no ill intent.
His main comment was how great Twirling Candy looked working out at HP,
nothing more.
The kid even said,I played hooky to attend Del Mar's opening day,hope I don't get fired.
Just a horseracing fan himself,like some of us. :confused:
People are overreacting.