PDA

View Full Version : New heights in gluttony/supersize_me/over-consumption

WinterTriangle
07-21-2010, 09:04 AM
Surely this just spells more doom for people who drive 2 blocks to the drive-thru to eat this in their car because they can't be bothered to walk::D

http://foodbeast.com/content/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/foodbeast_carls_footlong.jpg

Overlay
07-21-2010, 10:36 AM
In case anybody's wondering, the restaurant chain in question is Carl's Jr. / Hardee's.

GameTheory
07-21-2010, 10:45 AM
I was reading something that said that currently Colorado (where I live) is the "thinnest" state with 19% of the population "fat" (I forget the criteria to be "fat"). About 20 years ago in 1991, Mississippi was the "fattest" state with 17% of the population fat.

That's right, the thinnest state now is fatter than the fattest state 20 years ago.

Still, I don't know where the fat people are around here -- not in Denver, or maybe they don't go out. I rarely see fat people here. In the Detroit-area where I grew up, it seems practically everybody is fat (and were 20 years ago too).

sandpit
07-21-2010, 11:11 PM
I was reading something that said that currently Colorado (where I live) is the "thinnest" state with 19% of the population "fat" (I forget the criteria to be "fat"). About 20 years ago in 1991, Mississippi was the "fattest" state with 17% of the population fat.

That's right, the thinnest state now is fatter than the fattest state 20 years ago.

Still, I don't know where the fat people are around here -- not in Denver, or maybe they don't go out. I rarely see fat people here. In the Detroit-area where I grew up, it seems practically everybody is fat (and were 20 years ago too).

I had a couple of friends visiting this year from California for the Derby, one who had never been to KY. After we left the Oaks, that guy said to me, "is everybody in this state obese?" I couldn't argue with him, when I go out to LA, it seems like people are a lot thinner.

Wiley
07-22-2010, 10:44 AM
In the Detroit-area where I grew up, it seems practically everybody is fat (and were 20 years ago too).
I think the condition of the majority here is worse then ever, took my son and family to a Tiger game last week for his birthday and I could not believe the size of the majority of fans around us. My thin family was surrounded on both sides of us by people spilling out of their seats into ours. Everywhere I looked there were huge people.

It's sad and burgers like this don't help matters. The number of overweight kids I especially find troubling as they are just looking at a life with most likely many weight related health problems.

Black Ruby
07-22-2010, 10:53 AM
I took my mom to the hospital for a mammogram a couple years ago, sat around the lobby for a couple hours waiting for her. Seemed like 85-90% of the people coming in and out were obese, a large percentage of those morbidly obese. All age ranges.

jognlope
07-22-2010, 11:38 AM
I'm starting to be a little afraid of overeating, haven't had a large meal in ages, have lost 5 pounds, it's so slow, but steady I guess. Also "silent celiac disease" is now coming to light from foods containing gluten. Luckily there's a gluten free grocery store in my town, no less!! Little old Johnstown.

Steve 'StatMan'
07-22-2010, 12:03 PM
One could order one of these, or order 3 cheeseburgers, lay them next to each other and admire them.

I love Hardee's(Carl's), wish we had them in Chicago (we pretty much don't, mainly in the southern suburbs.)

46zilzal
07-22-2010, 12:25 PM
I took my mom to the hospital for a mammogram a couple years ago, sat around the lobby for a couple hours waiting for her. Seemed like 85-90% of the people coming in and out were obese, a large percentage of those morbidly obese. All age ranges.
Each extra pound over ideal weight is ONE MILE of back pressure from all that extra blood flow ON YOUR HEART.

Tom
07-22-2010, 12:39 PM
One could order one of these, or order 3 cheeseburgers, lay them next to each other and admire them.

I line them up in a row and pretend I am a bus driver. If you disobey the driver, you get eaten! mmm mmm mmm! :p

Steve 'StatMan'
07-22-2010, 12:40 PM
I line them up in a row and pretend I am a bus driver. If you disobey the driver, you get eaten! mmm mmm mmm! :p

:lol:

Grits
07-22-2010, 01:34 PM
The number of overweight kids I especially find troubling as they are just looking at a life with most likely many weight related health problems.

Much of this can be attributed to poor parenting. Allowing one's children to sit in front of video games, or on their computers every waking moment while not in school.

A friend, recently, returned from vacationing two weeks at the beach. One of her sons is 10 years old; he took one of his friends with him. As children often do.

After week one, the friend called his mom on Sunday night around 9pm. He'd been crying all afternoon. Sniveling and whining, he told her, "I'm not having fun. I wanna come home. I don't have my Xbox here and I'd rather play Xbox. I don't care about the beach. I don't care about swimming in the ocean. I don't wanna go kayaking in the sound either. Come and get me, mom, ok."

She went and got him the next morning. Drove 4 hours there, 4 hours home. What a lazy kid.:lol:

Both of his parents, tall, thin, and nice looking; not sure the child will remain so.:lol:

BenDiesel26
07-22-2010, 01:53 PM
This is what happens when you have a government that continues to push a diet and exercise program that leads to overeating and fat storage. This includes a food pyramid consisting of 6-11 servings of carbohydrates, aka glucose, at the bottom of the food pyramid, most of which Americans consume as refined carbohydrates devoid of all natural nutrition. This includes exercising in an aerobic range for periods of time that, guess what, make you hungry for more glucose. This is a government that continues to tell people that dietary cholesterol and saturated fat are bad, despite more and more recent overwhelming evidence that they are totally wrong. Puts people on statins to lower cholesterol (wonder why most people are deficient in Vitamin D?) Continues to push unnatural vegetable oils with cancer causing polyunsaturated fats. And finally, emphasizes food production techniques that make our food crap.

It really puts some stuff in perspective on why Americans should be skeptical whenever politics meets science (not just with food either if you know what I mean). Here's some random facts off the top of my head. For well over 40 years, diabetes was blamed on consumption of saturated fats despite zero evidence and tons to the contraire. When the GI was discovered, the government told diabetics they could eat as much sucrose as they wanted since it did not significantly spike blood glucose levels. Same goes for high fructose corn syrup, from which we now know that fructose causes a huge increase in blood tryglycerides (yay metabolic syndrome!).

It will never change unless 1. the government does, or 2. Americans educate themselves. Diabetes, obesity, high blood pressure, etc. are virtually non-existent in virtually all native cultures eating a native diet. When these people are introduced to flour, sugar, etc, these diseases all increase dramatically. Its so blatantly obvious what the problem is, and almost a conspiracy as to why recommendations have not been altered accordingly.

MONEY
07-22-2010, 02:30 PM
I don't care about the beach. I don't care about swimming in the ocean. I don't wanna go kayaking in the sound either.

I never wanted to do any of those things either.
I would go for a game of catch or basketball though.
Anyway, I'm be on the nearest Hardee's in a minute.

JustRalph
07-23-2010, 12:14 AM
BEN,,,,,,

KUDO'S TO YOU...........YOU GOT IT :ThmbUp:

FROM SOMEONE WHO HAS RECENTLY SEEN THE LIGHT

AND FEEL BETTER THAN EVER

BTW, DON'T FORGET.....2 DRINKS A DAY ARE GOOD FOR YOU!!!

I PREFER :7: AND :7:

WeirdWilly
07-23-2010, 03:09 PM
I think the condition of the majority here is worse then ever, took my son and family to a Tiger game last week for his birthday and I could not believe the size of the majority of fans around us. My thin family was surrounded on both sides of us by people spilling out of their seats into ours. Everywhere I looked there were huge people.

It's sad and burgers like this don't help matters. The number of overweight kids I especially find troubling as they are just looking at a life with most likely many weight related health problems.

So when do the health problems start? I'm 48 years old, 245 lbs, and a month ago took a treadmill test. Took me 12 minutes to get to the target heartrate. No damage, no obstructions, my BP was 118 over 78.

Put me in a 10K fun run against your "healthy" skinnies, and I will be waiting at the finish line for at least 4 out of 5.

And when the solar "Super Carrington" knock out our power grid in 2013 or 2014 (sorry, Mayan calendar lovers, it will be 2013, not your precious 2012), I'll have enough fat to last until the food distribution network is back up and running!

46zilzal
07-23-2010, 03:19 PM
So when do the health problems start? I'm 48 years old, 245 lbs, and a month ago took a treadmill test. Took me 12 minutes to get to the target heartrate. No damage, no obstructions, my BP was 118 over 78.

Genetics trumps lifestyle...Always has

Overlay
07-23-2010, 08:30 PM

To name another chain, I don't think I ever heard of anyone (myself included) ordering just one White Castle "slider". (Their old commercial jingle even capitalized on that point: "You'd better buy 'em by the sack 'cause nobody eats just one.")

WinterTriangle
07-24-2010, 01:59 AM
Also "silent celiac disease" is now coming to light from foods containing gluten.

Been down this road. I think I know everything there is to know about food sensitivities and allergies. It doesn't have to be an actual full blown allergy.

This, after probably $20K in gastroenterologists offices for years, diagnosed with everything from this to that. And having to live on nexium and other proton pump inhibitors for reflux. And other digestive problems.

8 years into it, I finally came upon a doctor who turned the light bulb on. He said he noticed if he had 2 sandwiches a day, or a biscuit for breakfast and then more bread later on, he felt awful the next day. So he set about researching it. It was gluten. (doctor wasn't even a gastro!)

I'm pretty much gluten free and it helps arthritis tremendously! And reflux!
I try to tell people who are crippled up to try it, they say stuff like " oh I could never live without my bread/cake/donut/biscuit etc. "

Also, for reflux and other stuff, there are a number of foods that you can separate into insoluble and soluble fiber...knowing when to eat them is tres important.

I haven't had to take nexium in 3 years. :jump: No heartburn, and no reflux anymore. it's all in the food you eat.

As for obesity, we have come very far from what a *meal* should consist of. Basically, for an adult, hold out your hands and cup them. What fits in that cup is about what a full size meal should be.

Most people eat 3-10 times that much at meals.:eek:

100% agree.

Esp. metabolic disorders, like diabetes.

I manufacture cholesterol. My 4 brothers are all thin. All have high cholesterol, even though don't eat any bad stuff, no fried foods, no cholesterol-ridden foods or oils at all. All walk and swim daily, or go to gym, etc.

It's genetic.

WinterTriangle
07-24-2010, 02:13 AM
This is what happens when you have a government that continues to push a diet and exercise program that leads to overeating and fat storage. This includes a food pyramid consisting of 6-11 servings of carbohydrates, aka glucose, at the bottom of the food pyramid, most of which Americans consume as refined carbohydrates devoid of all natural nutrition.

I agree with you in part, though they have recently changed the food pyramid.

How can you get nutrition when the American corporations are making food that is devoid of nutrtion and there are so many additives?

I have to shop in organic store to find bread without corn syrup/sugar and chemicals. I can't find tuna fish in water that doesn't have some kind of hydrolized soy protein or broth made of god-knows-what. I can't find crackers without hydrogenated vegetable oil (stop eating this and your reflux will go away), etc.

Proof: a friend is dutch, since she moved to the US, she eats exactly the same as she always did. But has gained 40-50 pounds in 2 years. :eek:

I buy crackers from england, they are just crackers. No sugar, no chemicals, no corn syrup. Why can't we make food like this?????

BTW, once you stop eating chemical laden foods, you can't ever go back. It all tastes horrible.

Diabetes, obesity, high blood pressure, etc. are virtually non-existent in virtually all native cultures eating a native diet. When these people are introduced to flour, sugar, etc, these diseases all increase dramatically

That is correct.

Native diet includes regional diet (what grows in your neck o the woods), and eating what's in season.

But Ben, you're leaving something out: people WANT to eat this stuff. I live in a town of less than 5K, and there are at least 15 fast food joints. Busy all the time, too.

highnote
07-24-2010, 05:03 AM
This is what happens when you have a government that continues to push a diet and exercise program that leads to overeating and fat storage. ...........

Its so blatantly obvious what the problem is, and almost a conspiracy as to why recommendations have not been altered accordingly.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/01/02/HighFructose-Corn-Syrup-Alters-Human-Metabolism.aspx

According to this presentation by Dr. Lustig at UCSF, High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) plays a major role in obesity. He calls it "alcohol without the buzz" because the human body processes High Fructose Corn Syrup the same way it does alcohol. In fact, HFCS can lead to cirrhosis of the liver.

He states that Richard Nixon was so concerned about social instability due to food shortages that he became instrumental in getting HFCS used more widely in our foods.

Parts of the video are very technical, but if you can get through it I think you'll agree that HFCS should be avoided as much as possible.

HFCS suppresses the chemical in our brains that controls our appetite. So when we eat foods with HFCS we still feel hungary. How about that Big Gulp that is loaded wtih HFCS? You drink it and your appetite is suppressed so you eat more. And the food that you eat is probably layered with HFCS, sugar, salt and fat.

Try going to the market and not buying anything with HFCS. It's in just about everything.

I just switched to Izzy soda. It uses sugar and not HFCS. Izzy Ginger Ale is about a billion times better than Schwepes. You can actually taste the ginger. You can barely taste it in Schwepes.

So much crap food in this country. Luckily, there are more and more places to buy high quality food. Whole Foods has a very good selection. They're pricey, but the quality is high.

Overlay
07-24-2010, 10:49 AM

I hope so. (My dad was 85 when he died, and my mom was 94.)(I'd settle for splitting the difference at 89-1/2.) :)

BenDiesel26
07-24-2010, 10:14 PM
I agree with you in part, though they have recently changed the food pyramid.

How can you get nutrition when the American corporations are making food that is devoid of nutrtion and there are so many additives?

I have to shop in organic store to find bread without corn syrup/sugar and chemicals. I can't find tuna fish in water that doesn't have some kind of hydrolized soy protein or broth made of god-knows-what. I can't find crackers without hydrogenated vegetable oil (stop eating this and your reflux will go away), etc.

Proof: a friend is dutch, since she moved to the US, she eats exactly the same as she always did. But has gained 40-50 pounds in 2 years. :eek:

I buy crackers from england, they are just crackers. No sugar, no chemicals, no corn syrup. Why can't we make food like this?????

BTW, once you stop eating chemical laden foods, you can't ever go back. It all tastes horrible.

That is correct.

Native diet includes regional diet (what grows in your neck o the woods), and eating what's in season.

But Ben, you're leaving something out: people WANT to eat this stuff. I live in a town of less than 5K, and there are at least 15 fast food joints. Busy all the time, too.

I cut all bread, pasta, etc. out of my diet a while back (Not totally, still eat it periodically, drink beer here and there, just probably 80% of the time I follow). Twenty years of IBS was gone in 3 days. I'm talking IBS where if I didn't get to the toilet when I woke up in the morning, it was coming out one way or the other whether I was there or not. Totally gone in 3 days. Ten pounds gone in one week, most likely due to the retention of water in my body from inflammation. 20 pounds in six weeks. Just eating real food. Lots of plants and animals. Nothing in a box. And this isn't low carb. I eat plenty of fruit and vegetables.

I also just recently found out that a stand at my local's farmer's market has grassfed beef sold for less than the crappy grain fed regular beef is at the local supermarket. Cows don't eat grain, and feeding them grain eliminates omega 3's. The average American diet apparently has an omega 6 (inflammation) to omega 3 ratio of 20:1. Our ancestors, prior to agriculture, consumed something more in the range of 4:1 to 1:1.

The best part is, weight loss is effortless. Even without exercise (which should be intense and short). No counting calories. No nothing. No eating 6 meals a day. Just eat real food. Fruits, vegetables, meat, FAT, nuts, etc. If you want some decent guidelines, try reading the Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson. You won't go wrong eating like he tells you, and if you are overweight it will come off like nothing. Plus he talks a little about some of the exercise stuff, but I have known for a while how that works. It's more of a lifestyle type thing. Another GREAT and very dense book, Good Calories Bad Calories. It will make you think you live in an alternate universe or something.

Want to try another food experiment? Try to find a salad dressing in your local grocery store that does not contain one of either soybean or canola oil.

As for genetics trumps lifestyle, yes it does. But life expectancy is actually expected to decrease. Our diet is killing us.

Finally, check out the diet of the native Massai or the original Intuit. In particular, the Massai: red meat and whole milk. That's it. Yet when moved to a western culture, guess what pops up! Diabetes, obesity, you name it.

WinterTriangle
07-25-2010, 03:01 AM
Twenty years of IBS was gone in 3 days.

Sounds like you have some gluten intolerance....many people do and do not know it. I cured my IBS with diet. Everyone who does it says they lose 10-20 lbs in first month without trying, and got better from a lifelong illness in 7 a week.

There is a reason why prostate cancer mortality is 137 times lower, colon cancer 187 times lower and breast cancer mortalities 20 times lower in places like Sri Lanka. Like many underdeveloped countries, they are not being poisoned by a agricorporate grain cartel..... they grow their own food. Sans chemicals. Sans Monsanto. Sans Dow Chemical.

People here think it's "normal" to take antacids and such.

Thanks for the recommendation of books, Primal Blueprint looks very good, I will order it. I "foraged" for my own blueberries this week. Picked a gallon out in the woods.

I get my food from a neighbor:
http://www.youngbloodgrassfed.com/

Read the site, you sound like you will appreciate what they do

WinterTriangle
07-25-2010, 11:50 PM
I Try to find a salad dressing in your local grocery store that does not contain one of either soybean or canola oil.

Ben, meant to post this last night but couldn't find my book.

Julia Child said: "The perfect vinaigrette is so easy to make that I see no reason whatsoever for bottled dressings". Here is her recipe:

1-1/2 tsp finely minced shallot or green onion
1-1/2 tsp Dijon style mustard
1-1/2 tsp lemon juice
1-1/2 tsp vinegar
1/4 tsp salt
1/3-1/2 cup olive oil
fresh ground pepper to taste

PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!!! Takes me 2 min. to make, use it for about a week.

bigmack
07-26-2010, 12:52 AM
Yet another catchy phrase thrown on the scrap heap of your Pile O' Nonsense Hill.

JustRalph
07-26-2010, 01:01 AM
1-1/2 tsp finely minced shallot or green onion
1-1/2 tsp Dijon style mustard
1-1/2 tsp lemon juice
1-1/2 tsp vinegar
1/4 tsp salt
1/3-1/2 cup olive oil
fresh ground pepper to taste

almost exactly how i make mine ............in this

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_0QLD-zG8_2U/SwrX_jqCMnI/AAAAAAAABiA/HIdUShQGGw8/s320/magic+bullet.jpg

plainolebill
07-26-2010, 03:58 AM
I've had prostate cancer for about 6 1/2 year so I don't eat much red meat anymore but when I do it's grass fed, as BD said the omega 3 ratio is much healthier than grain fed - nearly as good as wild salmon. I try to avoid foods and oils that are known or even suspected to cause inflamation.

I've also completely given up dairy products, but that came before my diagnosis as they began giving me severe indigestion. The growth hormones that are routinely given to cattle are strongly implicated in hormone related cancers.

We've been making our own salad dressings for years also. Eat brown rice or brown rice pasta. We planted four red potato plants for the summer and that will cover us for about 3 months, we don't eat many.

We get zip for sun here in the winter so I take D3 supplements and get as much sunshine as I can for the short time it's around. I take a fair number on the premise that maybe some will work but if I had to take just one it would be D3.

What everyone should keep in mind is that there's no money to be made in preventing disease - not many studies are going to be funded by the pharmaceutical industry to tell you that you should eat your brocolli. They don't even pay much attention to it in medical school :lol:

BenDiesel26
07-26-2010, 08:38 AM
Thanks for the recipe. I've actually been experimenting with making my own ranch the past couple of weeks, and come pretty close to having something decent in just two tries. Most recipes call for mayo, but I don't feel like making my own. Thus far I have tried stuff along the lines of equal parts sour cream and greek yogurt, with added garlic, chives, dill weed, and onion. No xanthum gum, soybean oil, or any of the other 25 ingredients that are in a bottle of Kraft. My next experiment will probably be to increase the yogurt and decrease the sour cream, but right now its more of a hobby.

As for the dairy, I tolerate dairy extremely well. I used to drink all skim, but have gotten more into whole milk now since reading up on stuff. I don't drink much like I used to though. I am unable to obtain raw, since afterall it is illegal (unless you own the cow). There is a local farm here though that sells non-homogenized creamline milk from grassfed cows, and can be found in the grocery store. Actually, there is also an organic store that sells it as well. It's delicious.

toetoe
07-26-2010, 02:13 PM
Yet another catchy phrase thrown on the scrap heap of your Pile O' Nonsense Hill.

It brings much joy to

Read zilzal thus

Giving props to

Tommie Malthus.

Fellow freakazoids, I give you the Wise General hisself:

46 Malik Zilzal Shazam ! ! !

WinterTriangle
07-26-2010, 02:40 PM
RALPH! What else can I make in that magic bullet? Can I use it like a blender? My trust ol' blender conked out this week and I am unsure of what to buy next.

greek yogurtLove it[/quote]

I am unable to obtain raw, since afterall it is illegal (unless you own the cow). There is a local farm here though that sells non-homogenized creamline milk from grassfed cows, and can be found in the grocery store.

A small family owned dairy sells non-homogenized milk here. The most wonderful part is it comes in the thick, thick, thick glass milk bottles like used to get delivered to my grandmother's house. :ThmbUp: And the cream floats to the top. I do not know if they will be able to stay in business though. These very small farms struggle. This is Tyson country around here, and the rest of the farmers run cattle and have dairy farms. Very hard to compete with them with a small production.

Raw milk you could probably buy if you say you need it to feed kittens and puppies. It is only illegal to sell raw for human consumption.

The growth hormones that are routinely given to cattle are strongly implicated in hormone related cancers

You are right, and there is a wide array of "estrogenic" foods that feed cancer tumors. Basically, anything agricorporate farming puts in in the form of hormones as you say, but also to be on safe side, I would avoid anything from the reproductive system of an animal. In other words, a woman fighting breast cancer should probably not eat eggs. Sugar and starch as well of course, as they feed cancer from what I read?

We get zip for sun here in the winter so I take D3 supplements

EVERYONE needs to be tested for D deficiency in their yearly physical. I haven't met any doctors, even out here in the boonies, who are not automatically testing for that these days.

Truth be told, *health* isn't my first consideration in eating cleaner foods. The reality is it just TASTES BETTER. Once you go that direction, you can "taste and smell" the chemicals in the other food. At least, that is what has happened to me. Also, the weight loss. I just automatically dropped weight eating organic.

That, and the experience of an overwhelming gag reflex. I went to a place where everyone says has the *best* hamburgers. Perhaps, because they are hand-formed and angus. However, not grass fed..... and guess what they put on top of it? Not just bacon, but DEEP FRIED bacon, I'm talking with fried batter coating like KY Fried chicken. :eek: Once all that grease had soaked into my burger......argh. However, it's a big hit with everyone else.

I am not rich by any means, people tell me they can't "afford" organic. I say "me neither.....I just eat less" :lol: Kill 2 birds w/one stone.

JustRalph
07-26-2010, 10:56 PM
You can buy the magic bullet at many local Pharmacies etc , like Walgreens.

I love the damn thing........ makes great smoothies and other like drinks.

If you don't want to break out a large blender it is great for making small portions too......

RtpKjgwi4Sc