PDA

View Full Version : Saratoga, Exit 14 bridge work closing lanes ten days

Grits
07-21-2010, 08:56 AM
Not sure this is the correct spot for this, still its something to be aware of getting in and out of Saratoga. Opening days of the meet, and they decide now is the time to fix this bridge.:faint:

SARATOGA SPRINGS — Traffic on the way to the Saratoga Race Course will face reduced lanes due to bridge repairs taking place during the next 10 days..

Repairs are planned to start today for the Route 9P bridge crossing I-87 at exit 14, according to the state Department of Transportation. One of two lanes will be closed in each direction.

http://www.saratogian.com/articles/2010/07/21/news/doc4c46e32d0cb3a897188093.txt

Vinman
07-21-2010, 10:35 AM
This bridge work should not pose a problem for anyone heading to the SPA using 87 in either direction. Folks using 87 North can exit at 13N and use Route 9 north that eventually turns into South Broadway and Broadway into town. I always go this way, since I enjoy seeing the various landmarks along the way.

If you are not going into town but going directly to the track, turn right at Crescent St, which is the SECOND street in a row with the Crescent name. Don't take the first one, Crescent Ave, with the sign for the Harness Track.

After you turn right on Crescent St, you will soon come to the first major intersection, Jefferson St. You can proceed through the intersection and make a left onto Nelson Ave to the track, but the better way is to go left onto Jefferson and go up a few blocks and park free on whichever side of Jefferson the signs say you can park on that particular day. This is where I park. Its about a 10 minute walk to the Wright St gate.

If you want to try for closer free parking, do lawn parking or use one of the NYRA lots, turn right on Steele St. and look for a spot in what I call the President streets grid. If you drive around you'll see Madison, Adams, Monroe, Jackson, etc. Wright St, which I believe is the next right after Steele off Jefferson, is where many of the locals will wave you onto their lawns for $5-$10 depending what day, time, blocks from the track, etc. If $$$ is no object and you simply want the closest parking to the Wright St / Frank Sullivan Place entrance featuring all the lawn jock statues with last year's stakes winners, use the big dirt lot on Nelson Ave around the corner from Siros. Set your GPS for 119 Nelson Ave, which used to be a B&B where I once stayed. The big lot is across the street. They charge like $20 on a weekend, but its the closest parking money can buy.

From 87 South, Exit 15 will do the trick. Lets you off by Wilton Mall, not far from the track.

Vinman

Grits
07-21-2010, 11:15 AM
Vinman, I've used the Cresent St. back way for years, but I didn't wanna go into the detail you've been so kind to do.;) You're a gem!

Friends have a home on Monroe, and I often park in their driveway. Cresent St. is a good shortcut coming in. Days that look like rain, though, I pay parking at the front gate on Union. Good and close.

sonnyp
07-21-2010, 12:38 PM
the jerks in albany, trying to emulate the big jerks in washington, have 10 1/2 other months to fix that bridge. nooooooo! they pick now to screw everything up.

just another example of government at its best...clueless and out of touch.

Java Gold@TFT
07-21-2010, 03:07 PM
Vinman, "Shhh", but why not drop off of Rt 9 At PJ's BBQ, Kaydeross Rd and take the back way instead of going up to Crescent? It takes you right to the Northway 'mystery entrance' in front of the Harness track and on to Nelson Ave.. Hardly anyone takes it and you just come up through some farms and then past the Shiek's place. Very quick with no congestion ever. Then bypass the $8 lawn parking and hit the NYRA $5 Parking at Wright St..

Like I said, "Shhhh". I don't need a lot of people knowing how easy it is.

Vinman
07-21-2010, 04:57 PM
Vinman, "Shhh", but why not drop off of Rt 9 At PJ's BBQ, Kaydeross Rd and take the back way instead of going up to Crescent? It takes you right to the Northway 'mystery entrance' in front of the Harness track and on to Nelson Ave.. Hardly anyone takes it and you just come up through some farms and then past the Shiek's place. Very quick with no congestion ever. Then bypass the $8 lawn parking and hit the NYRA $5 Parking at Wright St..

Like I said, "Shhhh". I don't need a lot of people knowing how easy it is.

Java.....and to think I was reluctant to reveal the "President Streets Grid" as a source of free parking...LOL. I'll put your advice to good use.

Vinman

JustRalph
07-21-2010, 05:56 PM
New York, Shits in its own nest...............once again

thespaah
07-21-2010, 08:55 PM
from nysdot....
State Route 9P
Bridge RepairCounties: SARATOGA
On the bridge carrying Route 9P over the Northway at Exit 14 with a round-the-clock single lane closure on the bridge in each direction, a round-the-clock right shoulder closure on the Northway southbound and a right travel lane closure on the Northway southbound from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Effective Date: 07/21/2010 - 07/28/2010