PDA

View Full Version : I'd like to go back in time and see...

tzipi
07-21-2010, 01:19 AM
this moment in racing history. I'm leaving out Secretariats Belmont and Man O War's races because I think they would dominate the poll. Besides them,which race or moment would you like to go back in time and see in person? Races we pretty much all didn't see, I'm sure. :)
I'm also sure there's alot of more great moments everyone can think of but can't list them all in the poll. Feel free to list more.

KingChas
07-21-2010, 01:40 AM
Feel free to list more.

I'll take you somewhere most people won't.
I would like to go back and see the greats listed above and other greats.
Maiden wins. ;)

46zilzal
07-21-2010, 01:43 AM
Jim Dandy beats the duo of Whichone Gallant Fox in the Travers in a sea of mud.

tzipi
07-21-2010, 02:08 AM
I voted for the Quashed-Omaha race. I think it would be great to go back and watch the filly Quashed beat the great Omaha over that distance at big odds infront of that many people. Read about the race a couple of times and it's listed in certain circles as one of the great races of all time. I think the crowd attendance adds to it also. Anyway, everyone should have fun with it.

To Zil. Jim Dandy race would've been great to watch too. The owner knew how much he loved the mud. I'm sure he cleaned up ;)

BELMONT 6-6-09
07-21-2010, 06:59 AM
Nice poll. Too many good options, but I would have loved to see Saratoga in 1863.

46zilzal
07-21-2010, 11:44 AM
To Zil. Jim Dandy race would've been great to watch too. The owner knew how much he loved the mud. I'm sure he cleaned up ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRIrN8AibSY

Don't think so.....It was a classic lesson in overconfidence

tzipi
07-21-2010, 11:55 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRIrN8AibSY

Don't think so.....It was a classic lesson in overconfidence

Jim Dandy the “mud-loving, mud-running fool from California” LOVED the mud again that day. The mile-and-a-quarter Travers was carded as the fifth race. Jim Dandy's trainer, James B. McKee, had also entered him in the fourth race, a one-mile handicap and a much easier spot. Comes up a fast track and they enter in tthe easier spot. Plus,Gallant Fox hated the mud.
Also Dandy had Jim Dandy had what trainers call eggshell hooves, which are thinly walled and can be painful when running on fast tracks. Could run like the wind in the mud.

46zilzal
07-21-2010, 12:01 PM
Jim Dandy the “mud-loving, mud-running fool from California” LOVED the mud again that day. Fast track and Dandy does not win that race IMO. Gallant Fox hated the mud.
OWNED by Californian Chaffey Earl, he was hardly a California horse

tzipi
07-21-2010, 12:17 PM
OWNED by Californian Chaffey Earl, he was hardly a California horse

Are you just disagreeing with me on this thread just for the sake of disagreeing? :D

By MICHAEL VEITCH
On Horse Racing

With the Jim Dandy Stakes just three weeks from Saturday, the “Travers Watch” is heating up.

To be run for the 47th time on July 31, the $500,000 event at 1-1/8 miles is the major Saratoga prep for the $1 million Travers Stakes on Aug. 28 at 1¼ miles.

The Jim Dandy is named for the Travers winner in 1930.

He shocked Triple Crown winner Gallant Fox, drawing away in the mud at odds of 100-to-1.

Largely overlooked by the 30,000 on hand that day at the Spa, the CALIFORNIA runner had won the 1929 Grand Union Hotel Stakes at Saratoga at odds of 50-to-1, also in the mud.

http://www.cnweekly.com/articles/2010/07/09/sports/doc4c34de3976b30909514655.txt

jognlope
07-21-2010, 01:26 PM
Funny Cide at the Spa. Couldn't make it over there, so never go to see my favorite one....:(

KidCapper
07-21-2010, 01:36 PM
The year was 1983, AK-SAR-BEN ranked #9 in the NATION with an average daily attendance of 13,655. Ak-sar-ben's daily mutuel handle averaged $1,792,547 in 1985. Daily attendance averaged 16,018 in 1978.
A record crowd of 31,969 attended Ak-sar-ben on July 10, 1982. A record $3,519,883 was wagered on June 22, 1985.

I reached the legal betting age in 1988 just missing the heydey of Nebraska racing.

Figman
07-21-2010, 01:37 PM
JAIPUR and RIDAN at the Spa.
They went head to head the whole 1962 Travers race.
I saw it live close to 50 years ago and have not seen such a race since then.

46zilzal
07-21-2010, 02:36 PM
There was a little thing called the California blackout

The California Legislature adopted a statute in 1933 referred to as the Horse Racing Act. The statutes took effect upon adoption by the voters of an amendment to the Constitution in June of 1933. During the 1930's, 21 states brought back racetracks. New laws and automated systems made horse
racing much more honest than during the 1800s.

http://www.library.ca.gov/crb/97/03/Chapt2.html

There was a little thing called the California blackout about the time Jim Dandy was running so Aqua Caliente would have been his only haven. He first started at Churchill, went West FLOPPED and then returned to Saratoga, so few would designate this one anything but California OWNED.

tzipi
07-21-2010, 03:06 PM
There was a little thing called the California blackout

The California Legislature adopted a statute in 1933 referred to as the Horse Racing Act. The statutes took effect upon adoption by the voters of an amendment to the Constitution in June of 1933. During the 1930's, 21 states brought back racetracks. New laws and automated systems made horse
racing much more honest than during the 1800s.

http://www.library.ca.gov/crb/97/03/Chapt2.html

There was a little thing called the California blackout about the time Jim Dandy was running so Aqua Caliente would have been his only haven. He first started at Churchill, went West FLOPPED and then returned to Saratoga, so few would designate this one anything but California OWNED.

I don't know what your point is here Zilzal. It's a fun thread and you have to argue over everything that is said. All I said was I agree with you,the Travers was a great race. Also the reason he basically won was because of the mud which he loved. The entered him in an easier race earlier in the card in case it was not muddy. The slop was like a balm for his very tender feet. The front runners got bogged down in the sticky mud. He relished it.
You keep saying "owned"? All I wrote was a quote from the race naming him as a California horse. Also Jim Dandy was bred and first owned by W.S. Dudly, not Chaffey Earl. Jim Dandy ran in California and also in Mexico. Plus,I never came up with the phrase, "mud loving, mud running fool from California". That's a quote(how I wrote it)from the after reports of the race.

But if it makes you feel better Zil because it will be pointless to go back and forth, then I'll just agree with you.
The mud was not the reason Jim Dandy won the Travers.

Jim Dandy was not a California horse and the quote from back then that says "mud loving,mud running fool from California" is just plain wrong.

I said Jim Dandy was California "OWNED" even though I never did(only wrote a quote in which it said he was a California horse) but hey whatever makes this better.
You didn't even vote for one of the choices. Oh well enjoy ;)

46zilzal
07-21-2010, 03:11 PM
You didn't even vote for one of the choices.
Because they were not very good ones.

tzipi
07-21-2010, 03:14 PM
Because they were not very good ones.

Yup,I guess I came up with horrible moments to go back to in this poll Zil. Wow, imagine you had to go to one of these moments in time. What a drag. Talk about miserable.

tucker6
07-21-2010, 05:27 PM
Getting back on topic, I chose Phar Lap, whom many consider the equal to The Big Reds of the USA. I can see a close and thrilling race any day of the week, a competitive battle among elite horses every 5-10 years, but to see a top ten all time race horse at the pinnacle of his/her skill level only happens every generation it seems. I remember Secretariat. I'd have loved to have seen Phar Lap in his hey day.

tzipi
07-21-2010, 05:33 PM
Very true about seeing a great horse once every generation. Wish it was more. Phar Lap was a monster. Too bad he died suddenly. I'm sure he had more great races left in him for the U.S. to see.

46zilzal
07-21-2010, 05:39 PM
Getting back on topic, I chose Phar Lap, whom many consider the equal to The Big Reds of the USA. I can see a close and thrilling race any day of the week, a competitive battle among elite horses every 5-10 years, but to see a top ten all time race horse at the pinnacle of his/her skill level only happens every generation it seems. I remember Secretariat. I'd have loved to have seen Phar Lap in his hey day.
Asked Longden about that day in Tijuana and he mumbled that all he saw was a red rump go by him. Would to have love to bet him to place..

Check the equipment on him...Spurs..

46zilzal
07-21-2010, 05:42 PM
Very true about seeing a great horse once every generation. Wish it was more. Phar Lap was a monster. Too bad he died suddenly. I'm sure he had more great races left in him for the U.S. to see.
poisoned by his trainer as hair evidence discovered toxic levels

http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/news/787/scientists-solve-phar-lap-death-mystery

The results show a large dose of arsenic was ingested by 'Big Red' about 35 hours before his death on 5 April 1932, the newspaper said.

"The arsenic in the hair structure is consistent with ... a single large dose of arsenic between one to two days prior to death," the report said. The results of the test were similar to those performed on a pig that had been poisoned with arsenic.

tucker6
07-21-2010, 06:17 PM
poisoned by his trainer as hair evidence discovered toxic levels

http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/news/787/scientists-solve-phar-lap-death-mystery

The results show a large dose of arsenic was ingested by 'Big Red' about 35 hours before his death on 5 April 1932, the newspaper said.

"The arsenic in the hair structure is consistent with ... a single large dose of arsenic between one to two days prior to death," the report said. The results of the test were similar to those performed on a pig that had been poisoned with arsenic.
I understood it to be inadvertent poisoning.

46zilzal
07-21-2010, 06:18 PM
I understood it to be inadvertent poisoning.
IT was a strong belief that one needed to HOP a horse and meds were used to do just that before testing.

kenwoodall2
07-21-2010, 08:02 PM
I voted to see 200,000 players!

PaceAdvantage
07-21-2010, 09:26 PM
I don't know what your point is here Zilzal.His point, once again (as usual), is to prove (at least to himself) how superior he is in almost every way, shape and form... :rolleyes:

therussmeister
07-21-2010, 09:28 PM
If I had the ability to go back in time, it wouldn't occur to me to do anything related to horse racing.

sonnyp
07-21-2010, 11:25 PM
If I had the ability to go back in time, it wouldn't occur to me to do anything related to horse racing.

oh no ? i'd be bettin ALL THE WINNERS with 2 fists. like paul laducca says i'd be punchin the winning numbers till my fingers bled.

how great would that be ?

therussmeister
07-22-2010, 06:09 PM
oh no ? i'd be bettin ALL THE WINNERS with 2 fists. like paul laducca says i'd be punchin the winning numbers till my fingers bled.

how great would that be ?
But you can't bet enough to change history (the odds), you'd risk setting off a chain of events that could destroy the planet. :rolleyes: :eek: :D

tzipi
07-22-2010, 06:56 PM
But you can't bet enough to change history (the odds), you'd risk setting off a chain of events that could destroy the planet. :rolleyes: :eek: :D

I agree,Dr. Emmett Brown clearly warned us of this :D

cj's dad
07-22-2010, 07:34 PM
His point, once again (as usual), is to prove (at least to himself) how superior he is in almost every way, shape and form... :rolleyes:

He should be renamed the "Hijacker" because as always it's about him.

bisket
07-22-2010, 10:30 PM
any doubt about da biskets choice? my only hope is pimlico can be returned to its glory days again.

KingChas
07-22-2010, 11:34 PM

Then I would I bet with both fist anyway, for someone has already beat me to the punch. :eek:

KingChas
07-22-2010, 11:37 PM
1938- Seabiscuit beats War Admiral in a match race.

#1 selection ?
I actually have live footage of this,anyone want to borrow the dvd? :lol:

joanied
07-23-2010, 04:43 PM
I voted for Citation winning the Triple Crown...but if I could choose one not on the list... well, I have about ten I'd choose...but I would love to see the great battle between Ridan & Jaipur again...monumental horse race...talk about two tough competitors, neither giving an inch, in tandem break to wire...incredible!!

Stillriledup
07-23-2010, 04:47 PM
Here's some races i would choose to relive:

Easy Goer-Sunday Silence BC Classic in 1989 at GP

Genuine Risk winning the Derby

Affirmed and Alydar in the Belmont

Rachel Alexandra's KY Oaks

Shoemakers last ride