PDA

View Full Version : P Val visits Del Mar backstretch......

horses4courses
07-20-2010, 07:19 PM
dmtc.com website lists Patrick Valenzuela, and his former agent Tom Knust,
paying a visit to the backstretch at Del Mar.

No mention of him riding there yet, and he is not listed for any rides on the first 3 days....... :confused:

Quote:

FIVE-TIME DEL MAR RIDING CHAMP PATRICK VALENZUELA VISITS Patrick Valenzuela, champion rider five times at the seashore, was a visitor to the backstretch Tuesday morning with his former agent, Tom Knust.

Valenzuela, who last won the riding trophy at Del Mar in 2003, has been riding in New Mexico and Louisiana for the past couple of years. Valenzuela has ridden 59 stakes winners at Del Mar, putting him 10th on the career winner's list.

Sericm
07-20-2010, 10:13 PM
Has the CHRB licensed him? I haven't read anywhere whether they had or not.

In my opinion he should never be licensed at any track period.

Too many blown chances!

bigmack
07-20-2010, 10:17 PM
Valenzuela, who had his conditional license terminated by the California Horse Racing Board on Dec. 28, 2007, has asked for reinstatement. His appeal will be heard in a closed session of the CHRB on Thursday at Surfside Race Place in Del Mar.

http://www.nctimes.com/sports/equestrian/racing/article_e101943f-89ee-59ea-9d42-56c0a9d0024f.html

BELMONT 6-6-09
07-20-2010, 10:31 PM
Has the CHRB licensed him? I haven't read anywhere whether they had or not.

In my opinion he should never be licensed at any track period.

Too many blown chances!

Agree 100% How many chances? September 2008 the CHRB ruling stated he was permanently ineligible to re-aply for, or to hold a license.????????????????????

Fager Fan
07-21-2010, 01:13 AM
Agree 100% How many chances? September 2008 the CHRB ruling stated he was permanently ineligible to re-aply for, or to hold a license.????????????????????

So many people want to rule this guy off for life for a personal addiction, yet Tabor runs as an "elite" owner despite being banned for life once for race-fixing, while Biancone has cobra venom in his barn fridge and is allowed to continue training.

I admit to not getting too worked up over PVal when racing lets owners and trainers continue on after being caught red-handed committing racing's worst sins.

BELMONT 6-6-09
07-21-2010, 05:56 AM
So many people want to rule this guy off for life for a personal addiction, yet Tabor runs as an "elite" owner despite being banned for life once for race-fixing, while Biancone has cobra venom in his barn fridge and is allowed to continue training.

I admit to not getting too worked up over PVal when racing lets owners and trainers continue on after being caught red-handed committing racing's worst sins.

Your point is well taken , however, race riding is a very dangerous profession. When a rider is under the influence it becomes 10 times more dangerous for himself, the other riders and the horses.

lamboguy
07-21-2010, 08:01 AM
he has been doing well in louisiana. he is starting to get the top mounts there. i watched him on a horse last week and he looked as good as he has ever been. i guess he doesn't get that many shots on top young horses in louisiana, but i know there are lots of good mares in that state these days due to the breeding program being the best around. its just a matter of time before something big pops up out of louisiiana.

Fager Fan
07-21-2010, 08:11 AM
Your point is well taken , however, race riding is a very dangerous profession. When a rider is under the influence it becomes 10 times more dangerous for himself, the other riders and the horses.

Absolutely, but for all his issues, I've not heard that he has been impaired on the job. I've no problem with drug testing frequently and his fellow riders keeping an eye on him.

andymays
07-21-2010, 08:18 AM
Absolutely, but for all his issues, I've not heard that he has been impaired on the job. I've no problem with drug testing frequently and his fellow riders keeping an eye on him.

If I remember right many years ago, maybe 20 or more Pat V. was riding a good horse for Ted West at Hollywood Park on the turf and they had the temporary rails out. The horse went into the rail and a piece of the rail went into the horse and he died a pretty bad death. I believe Ted West never rode him again and blamed him for the incident. In my opinion and with as bad a problem as he had I'm pretty sure he rode high and many time rode after being up all night or up for days.

That's the way I remember it. Does anyone else remember the incident or the story?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is no more dangerous a place for a guy like Pat V. to go off stride than Del Mar. You can get in trouble anywhere but at Del Mar it all starts with a couple of shots of Tequila and from there look out. I hope he makes it but he's not going to get as many mounts as he may think and that may frustrate him enough to go on tilt.

domino1891
07-21-2010, 10:10 AM
If I remember right many years ago, maybe 20 or more Pat V. was riding a good horse for Ted West at Hollywood Park on the turf and they had the temporary rails out. The horse went into the rail and a piece of the rail went into the horse and he died a pretty bad death. I believe Ted West never rode him again and blamed him for the incident. In my opinion and with as bad a problem as he had I'm pretty sure he rode high and many time rode after being up all night or up for days.

That's the way I remember it. Does anyone else remember the incident or the story?

P Val was riding Interwit
http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbPDFChartPlus.cfm?BORP=P&STYLE=EQB&DAY=D&tid=HOL&dt=07/03/1992&ctry=USA&race=5

There was a lawsuit filed by the connections of Buchanan Hollow, the other horse that died.

Horsemen, jockeys, and owners might consider additional insurance in light of Interwit caseRepercussions from the now-infamous Interwit case will surely have far-reaching consequences throughout the Thoroughbred industry. Where before it was almost universally accepted that owners assumed all risks once they entered a horse in a race, the decision of a California arbitrator could change that fact and hold jockeys and trainers responsible for the actions of 1,200-pound animals.
To revisit the specifics of the ill-fated Interwit's last race: In a Hollywood Park turf race in 1992, trainer Ted West saddled a three-year-old colt named Interwit that he owned in partnership with two others. Though Interwit had won an overnight stakes at Golden Gate Fields in his previous start, the colt had developed a curious habit of lugging in once he cleared the field.
"It's not that uncommon of a habit, but I told the jockey to keep the whip in his left hand," West said. "For whatever reason, he didn't listen and hit the horse right-handed."
Because of, or in spite of the whipping, depending on whom you talk to, Interwit then swerved into the rail and went down in front of Buchanan Hollow, who subsequently toppled over the fallen Interwit. Both colts were injured and had to be destroyed, and the owners of Buchanan Hollow sued the owners of Interwit, along with Hollywood Park, Pat Valenzuela, and West. To the surprise of many, they won.

The arbitrator ruled that Hollywood Park was 33.3% liable, Valenzuela was 50% liable, and West as trainer was 16.7% liable. The owners of Interwit were not found directly liable, but the judge said that since the jockey was an employee of the owners, he transferred the jockey's liability to the owners.

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/horse-health/1996/April/16/Liability-through-association.aspx

andymays
07-21-2010, 10:45 AM
P Val was riding Interwit
http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbPDFChartPlus.cfm?BORP=P&STYLE=EQB&DAY=D&tid=HOL&dt=07/03/1992&ctry=USA&race=5

There was a lawsuit filed by the connections of Buchanan Hollow, the other horse that died.

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/horse-health/1996/April/16/Liability-through-association.aspx

Thanks domino1891. I appreciate the effort. Good Job! :ThmbUp:

andymays
07-21-2010, 01:33 PM
http://www.nctimes.com/sports/equestrian/racing/article_e101943f-89ee-59ea-9d42-56c0a9d0024f.html

Excerpt:

Valenzuela's reinstatement has been on the board's agenda at its last two meetings but hasn't been discussed. However, several sources believe the matter will be resolved Thursday.

"I can't comment on it," said Tom Knust, Valenzuela's former agent and expected to be his agent again if he is reinstated. "I've been asked not to speak on it."

According to Mike Marten, a spokesman for the CHRB, Valenzuela's case is being heard in closed session due to the Bagley-Keene Act, which entitles an appellant "some privacy."

andymays
07-22-2010, 07:54 PM
VALENZUELA REINSTATED BY CHRB; SUBJECT TO RANDOM DRUG TESTING

http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/valenzuela-reinstated-by-chrb-subject-to-random-drug-testing/

DJofSD
07-22-2010, 08:04 PM
The CHRB is a bad joke.

BELMONT 6-6-09
07-22-2010, 08:48 PM
The CHRB is a bad joke.

Why bother making definate rulings when they are always broken...amazing.

Stillriledup
07-22-2010, 09:05 PM
What a shame, another dark mark on the sad state of affairs at DMR.