PDA

View Full Version : Pass that Walmart Doobie over here!

JustRalph
07-19-2010, 06:14 PM
Btw, I am in favor of legalization of Marijuana........ in case you wondered.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/07/19/national/main6691048.shtml

OAKLAND, July 19, 2010
Oakland Pot Growers Fear "Wal-Marting" of Weed

(AP) After weathering the fear of federal prosecution and competition from drug cartels, California's medical marijuana growers see a new threat to their tenuous existence: the "Wal-Marting" of weed.

The Oakland City Council on Tuesday will look at licensing four production plants where pot would be grown, packaged and processed into items ranging from baked goods to body oil. Winning applicants would have to pay $211,000 in annual permit fees, carry $2 million worth of liability insurance and be prepared to devote up to 8 percent of gross sales to taxes.

The move, and fledgling efforts in other California cities to sanction cannabis cultivation for the first time, has some marijuana advocates worried that regulations intended to bring order to the outlaw industry and new revenues to cash-strapped local governments could drive small "mom and pop" growers out of business. They complain that industrial-scale gardens would harm the environment, reduce quality and leave consumers with fewer strains from which to choose.

Study: Marijuana Prices to Crater If Legalized

"Nobody wants to see the McDonald's-ization of cannabis," Dan Scully, one of the 400 "patient-growers" who supply Oakland's largest retail medical marijuana dispensary, Harborside Health Center, grumbled after a City Council committee gave the blueprint preliminary approval last week. "I would compare it to how a small business feels about shutting down its business and going to work at Wal-Mart. Who would be attracted to that?"

more at the link

Rookies
07-19-2010, 06:27 PM
Btw, I am in favor of legalization of Marijuana........ in case you wondered.

I can't say that I'm overly surprised, JR. I am and have been since I was 17.

Not that I partake hardly at all anymore and don't permit anybody to cross the border in my vehicle with it in their possession. There are much more dangerous drugs/ addictions to root out in society. However, I'm not keen on big smokers to begin with and nobody can say that daily marijuana use would not damage your lungs...

Tom
07-19-2010, 10:03 PM
I do not use it, but I favor it's legalization.
However, if they were offer McDoobies....with fries.......well, just maybe.

plainolebill
07-20-2010, 02:34 AM
I don't use drugs but I favor legalization of them. They're a huge source of income for crooks and a cause of corruption. We use up a lot of resources trying to stop drug trade when we could be taxing them like cigarettes and booze.

JustRalph
07-20-2010, 04:39 AM
I don't use drugs but I favor legalization of them. They're a huge source of income for crooks and a cause of corruption. We use up a lot of resources trying to stop drug trade when we could be taxing them like cigarettes and booze.

having played the "chase the drug dealer" game

I agree with everything you say above

There will never be a drug more powerful than alcohol ......and we legalized and taxed it.

lsbets
07-20-2010, 08:32 AM
I always use this example with people who are against legalizing pot:

Take a 16 year old kid, give him some money and ask him to get you a pack of cigarettes, a six pack of beer, and a couple of joints. What do you think will be the easiest thing for him to get?

While drugs have ruined many lives, our silly drug laws have ruined many more, and do nothing to keep drugs away from kids. Legalize it, tax it like any other economic transaction, and regulate it.