PDA

View Full Version : Lone Star crashes at 21% but....

The_Knight_Sky
07-19-2010, 04:05 PM
......Lowered Takeouts may be on the horizon :jump:

Drew Shubeck, president of Lone Star, said because
there was a slight increase in attendance, he directly attributes
the drop in handle to a decline in the quality of the track's racing product,
and the economy.

Shubeck said for next year, Lone Star is considering a reduced takeout
on some wagers, and incorporating new wagers. He also said the track
is debating moving from Saturday afternoon racing to Saturday nights
following the Belmont Stakes.

http://www.drf.com/news/article/114910.html

If Mr. Shubeck can bring it down to 12% WPS and 15% exactas and trifectas, then they've got me as a customer.

rwwupl
07-19-2010, 04:29 PM
......Lowered Takeouts may be on the horizon :jump:

Drew Shubeck, president of Lone Star, said because
there was a slight increase in attendance, he directly attributes
the drop in handle to a decline in the quality of the track's racing product,
and the economy.

Shubeck said for next year, Lone Star is considering a reduced takeout
on some wagers, and incorporating new wagers. He also said the track
is debating moving from Saturday afternoon racing to Saturday nights
following the Belmont Stakes.

http://www.drf.com/news/article/114910.html

If Mr. Shubeck can bring it down to 12% WPS and 15% exactas and trifectas, then they've got me as a customer.

Even"slow to the party people" will get the idea after a while. What would happen if they went to 10% across the board for all bets?

They would enjoy unprecedented success,and be the new poster child for the revival of horse racing. Who will be first? :)

Driver8
07-19-2010, 04:31 PM
I live in Texas and it's a shame what the legislators here have done to the horse racing industry. I would love to bet on Retama, Sam Houston, and Lone Star races but alas, I can't. Yet I can bet on racing in all the other states. Texas is not only losing the better horses but also the off-track in-state handle because the only places you can bet on Texas racing is at the tracks themselves. Pretty ridiculous.

kenwoodall2
07-19-2010, 05:11 PM
I live in Texas and it's a shame what the legislators here have done to the horse racing industry. I would love to bet on Retama, Sam Houston, and Lone Star races but alas, I can't. Yet I can bet on racing in all the other states. Texas is not only losing the better horses but also the off-track in-state handle because the only places you can bet on Texas racing is at the tracks themselves. Pretty ridiculous.
Here is my response= “Stagnate and die”. Lone Star’s handicapping depends a great deal on predicting track speed- which few bettors know how to do. Depending on favorite to repeat is old skool and of not much use.
Beyond that, the greatest myth in racing is that bettors are “fans”. Article comments provide evidence of this. As racing constricts dates, they try to compete with other tracks in the region (as per article) to get better horses and more entries- but as usual they absolutely do not care about bettors= tit for tat. If any track cared about its bettors and wants real “fans” like the kind that major sports have and flourish through bad economic times, they will develop extensive promotion of jockeys, clean trainers, and owner silks. They will also cooperate with other tracks nationally to form local support, and shippers will have support like visiting sports teams. They will have “Miss Lone Star” winning the title in a handicapping contest; represent racing in locasl community events. They would lobby to replace odds diplay with estmated $2 win bet return in tote, program, PPs and charts. They would invite the public with Career Day, contests, and newbie discounts. They will begin an open book certification “National Thoroughbred” (as well as Quarterhorse and Harness) Handicapper test for bettor pride, discounts, and tutoting at track and OTB’s.
When the economy improves, will racing be ready with new ideas and a new structure for new fans abd bettors, for money new to racing, or will racing remain a closed secret society
depending on all levels including bettors for nepotism?
Contact kenwoodallpromos@msn.com for a few fan, bettor, handicapping, customer ideas or to hire for many ideas!

JustRalph
07-19-2010, 05:57 PM
Shut them down. The quality of racing is horrible. Wither on the vine......let it happen. I used to love Sam Houston. They can let it go for all I care.......and the State deserves it for letting "their government" get away with it.

The_Knight_Sky
07-19-2010, 06:41 PM
What would happen if they went to 10% across the board for all bets?

They would have found a new advertising slogan for the 21st century.

One that strikes a responsive chord with their true customers:

Dig in: We've got the Lowest Takeout in the Land! http://i32.tinypic.com/35lc8sp.gif

Otis11
07-19-2010, 06:48 PM
I live in Texas ... I can bet on racing in all the other states. Texas is not only losing the better horses but also the off-track in-state handle because the only places you can bet on Texas racing is at the tracks themselves. Pretty ridiculous.
FWIW, the same stupid situation exists in Michigan. The rationale behind this was the track would get more money since there was no State tax on wagers placed at the track. They're not considering they are shutting out 75% of the population. Who wants to drive all the way down from, say Traverse City, just to place a bet.

I would gladly play my local TB track online on the days I can't make it to the track. Instead, I'm shut out and play other tracks. It just doesn't make sense!

:11:

pandy
07-19-2010, 07:32 PM
I made some nice bets at Lonestar the past few seasons but this year I can't find anything. This always happens when a track starts to decline. I've been this over and over in harness racing. I used to destroy Northfield Park in Ohio, now I can rarely find a bettable race there. Hopefully Lonestar can turn it around next year.

Seabiscuit@AR
07-20-2010, 04:15 AM
With tote betting I would imagine that once the pools start to drop then the decline in the pools will only accelerate over time if anything. This is because bet size of bigger players is limited by the pool if they care about the odds. So as the pools drop then bigger players have to cut back their bets in turn

The_Knight_Sky
07-20-2010, 10:46 AM
So as the pools drop then bigger players have to cut back their bets in turn

Good point.

So I suggest Fixed Odds Wagering at the track. ;)

gemcity39
07-20-2010, 03:28 PM
I live 15 minutes from LSP, beautiful facility, but the horses this meet were just putrid. The simulcast pavillion is a ghost town on Mon. and Tues.,Texas dollars sail to Louisiana, NM, and OKLA via slots $$, and no internet wagering allowed on Texas races by Texans is beyond idiotic. Gov. Goodhair takes OKLA $$ to not have Texas expand gambling, but an 18 Billion deficit may force him and the legislature to expand gambling and slots to the tracks. When the Texas horsemen met around 30% just want more crap racing, they cannot see the trees for the forest. They need one 50-60 day TBRED meet at LSP, two 25 day QH meets at Ret. and SH, this would be the only live Texas racing, purses would be 220K a day for TBRED and give Texas a chance, otherwise bye bye Texas racing.:bang:

bane
07-20-2010, 04:17 PM
I live 15 minutes from LSP, beautiful facility, but the horses this meet were just putrid. The simulcast pavillion is a ghost town on Mon. and Tues.,Texas dollars sail to Louisiana, NM, and OKLA via slots $$, and no internet wagering allowed on Texas races by Texans is beyond idiotic. Gov. Goodhair takes OKLA $$ to not have Texas expand gambling, but an 18 Billion deficit may force him and the legislature to expand gambling and slots to the tracks. When the Texas horsemen met around 30% just want more crap racing, they cannot see the trees for the forest. They need one 50-60 day TBRED meet at LSP, two 25 day QH meets at Ret. and SH, this would be the only live Texas racing, purses would be 220K a day for TBRED and give Texas a chance, otherwise bye bye Texas racing.:bang:

If it wasn't for The Texas Thoroughbred I would be a diffrent person, but I also don't think my family would have moved away because we never thought it would be legal!

Problem is there is just too much racing going on, there is 3 tracks in the state, 1 track that is a few feet from being in Texas and several other tracks in diffrent states that are closer to get to for a lot of Texans. Also the other tracks not in Texas has better racing and know how to better have TB's and QH coexhisting.

And this doesn't even included bush tracks and Manor Downs....

Simply put Texas needs regulation and a mix meet might be a way to go.